Giving up alcohol

Rock bus

Giving up alcohol

Post by Rock bus »

after advice from people in the group that have given up alcohol but not due to an ‘alcohol problem’.
I’m contemplating it at the moment, not because of any issue with it. I only drink at the weekend and that’s normally a few cans or rum and cokes or share a bottle of wine with my wife. Also have the occasional session with mates every month or so.
I’m just a bit fed up if it being what I do if celebrating or when had a tough time. I’d also just like to get a bit healthier.
But one of my main concerns is that I do enjoy it and consider it big part of my social life. Not sure a weekend away cycling/hiking in the van would be the same without a few tipples.
Just wondered if anyone had any experience of doing it? Did it really have a big positive impact on your life?
VinceLedge

Re: Giving up alcohol

Post by VinceLedge »

Not really sure from this why you are wanting to give up alcohol from this. If you enjoy it and only have a few drinks at the weekend it is unlikely to deliver any benefits?
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

VinceLedge wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 10:30pm Not really sure from this why you are wanting to give up alcohol from this. If you enjoy it and only have a few drinks at the weekend it is unlikely to deliver any benefits?
Was thinking the same.
I often have a week or two without alcohol because of work. Can't say I feel any healthier as a result, but then I only really drink in moderation even when I'm off the leash.
Good drink is a physical, sensoral, visceral pleasure!
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Rock bus wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 9:13pm after advice from people in the group that have given up alcohol but not due to an ‘alcohol problem’.
I’m contemplating it at the moment, not because of any issue with it. I only drink at the weekend and that’s normally a few cans or rum and cokes or share a bottle of wine with my wife. Also have the occasional session with mates every month or so.
I’m just a bit fed up if it being what I do if celebrating or when had a tough time. I’d also just like to get a bit healthier.
But one of my main concerns is that I do enjoy it and consider it big part of my social life. Not sure a weekend away cycling/hiking in the van would be the same without a few tipples.
Just wondered if anyone had any experience of doing it? Did it really have a big positive impact on your life?
I have these thoughts myself, I love drinking, home brewer (beer) and average about 20 units a week (old safe limit before the gender nonsense) but do deep down inside think I would be better off being teetotal esp getting older.

But when I do have a month off I don't feel remotely better or fitter or stronger, so I don't know why I want to give it up, just feel I sort of should. Need to keep enjoying my bike for years to come. Mother is still cycling at 88 and she don't drink.

It can't do you any good drinking...
ossie

Post by ossie »

You sound like you have things under control, I doubt its really affecting your health.

If there is a healthy relationship with alcohol (does it exist) it sounds like you probably have it. I've given up for prolonged periods but I ended sacrificing some good times, avoiding social events and the subconscious ' avoidance' thing became a little too consuming for me. I also didn't feel any better, even after 9 months off the ale at one point.

Like pebble I brew my own beer and also love red wine but agree its probably not that good for me. I like to think I make up for it fitness wise but I'm not sure my liver would agree. I'm late 50's, it would probably take a health scare for me to totally abstain.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

... but do deep down inside think I would be better off being teetotal esp getting older.
That reminded me of one of the questions in the CAGE tool:
"Have you ever felt you needed to Cut down on your drinking?"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAGE_questionnaire

But the NHS now recommends that healthcare professionals use AUDIT:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ning-tests
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_U ... ation_Test

or in Emergency Departments the single question M SASQ:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _SASQ_.pdf

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I've had a problematic relationship with alcohol for most of my adult life - and indeed have seen several friends and dozens of acquaintances suffer in different ways - illness and even death - from the stuff. Each loss has been so sad.
Since lockdown, I've reduced my consumption by (say) 80% and now, my life is completely different one way and another - plus, I'm not dead! Brilliant!
Some experienced commentators say that there is simply no safe level of alcohol consumption. However, there are benefits to consumption which are often overlooked. A successful relationship with the stuff can bring huge benefits in terms of social interaction, feelings of well-being and are often over-looked as medical staff, quite reasonably, tend to focus on physiological effects.
My own personal opinion is that if you can stop and start consumption at will, and if you are at or below, the current gov. guidelines and if your drinking takes place occasionally, rather than regularly, you likely have no problem.
I know other folk whose drinking is more regular than mine, who are clear too that they have no problem, so the decision is obviously very personal.
If you feel you might benefit from abstinence, then I'd simply suggest that you give it a go - see how it makes you feel! If as you say, you are an occasional drinker, there will be few, if any, draw-backs to stopping. As a general caveat, I’ll add that suddenly ceasing intake, if physically dependant on alcohol, can be dangerous - if in doubt, seek medical advice, from for example your GP.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I gave up totally in 1990 if I hadn't, I would not be here now. My advice to the OP would be if you are able to keep it to moderate drinking and enjoying your tipple, carry on. If you start to feel the need to constantly drink, seek help. Mine was very much the latter.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
borisface

Post by borisface »

I gave up drinking in 2006, it was a Wednesday afternoon. Longest afternoon of my life.

Seriously, it doesn't sound as you have an issue at all. If you want to stop drinking fine. I'd be more worried about the coke. I have reduced my alcohol consumption drastically in the last 18 months and don't really miss it. I substitute fizzy water or low alcohol beers. I now have a glass or two of wine when I feel like it, and what I tend to do is if I've had a drink, I'll have two or three alcohol free days.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I've never had a booze problem, and don't drink at all these days, but I've just been listening to Adrian Chiles on Radio 2 about it.

He drank for years, and didn't regard it a problem because he was still able to function, "I only drink for this"..."just for that" etc. I reality he was consuming huge amounts when he totted it up, often just out of habit. He reckons the first drink is the only one you need, that's the one that makes you feel good, and all the rest are pointless.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

All things in moderation, but just what moderation is is hard to say.

I very rarely consume anything alcoholic and that’s out of choice, it’s just not an issue to me. To my mind alcohol is basically a substance which my body can (within limits) tolerate but wasn’t designed to be challenged by. The occasional glass of wine or pint of beer might not seem to have noticeable harm, but the harm might not be noticeable until long after the event … and the ability to notice subtle things is questionable.

My rule of thumb is simple: don’t consume anything alcoholic without a particular reason and if you do consume then really limit it.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
LancsGirl

Post by LancsGirl »

simonineaston wrote: 25 Oct 2022, 10:14am Some experienced commentators say that there is simply no safe level of alcohol consumption.
Does "some experience commentators" include epidemiologists? After all, whenever the dreaded what-to-wear-on-your-head subject rears up here, people will be very keen to quote "studies" which "prove" their point of view, whilst at the same tame mocking anybody who claims from their personal experience that "a helmet saved my life", as this is clearly anecdotal nonsense.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 21256931v1

The very widespread acceptability of the misnamed "moderate" drinking runs throughout society, and contributes to a culture of misery, disease, death and violence. Most people's "moderate" alcohol consumption is anything but, which they would quickly discover if they took the time to accurately record their consumption.

Over consumption of alcohol is endemic, but is not recognised. Too many people declare that they "don't have a problem", or "just enjoy a little social drinking". They are deluding themselves. They are addicted to a drug. And they are fooling themselves if they don't think it is doing them harm.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

LancsGirl wrote: 26 Oct 2022, 12:26am The very widespread acceptability of the misnamed "moderate" drinking runs throughout society, and contributes to a culture of misery, disease, death and violence. Most people's "moderate" alcohol consumption is anything but, which they would quickly discover if they took the time to accurately record their consumption.

Over consumption of alcohol is endemic, but is not recognised. Too many people declare that they "don't have a problem", or "just enjoy a little social drinking". They are deluding themselves. They are addicted to a drug. And they are fooling themselves if they don't think it is doing them harm.
That’s pretty hard hitting if, I believe, not without some validity. It is my belief that alcohol is a drug and that drugs should (only) be used both with care and some informed caution. My stance is outlined in my earlier post - it is literally years since I had anything alcoholic and I when I do consume then it’s minimal.

Whilst not questioning the damage that alcohol sometimes does do I’ve met very many people, some being very able and high functioning, for whom having a few units or even a skinful is actually helpful to them in terms of stress relief and social interaction - they also don’t do stupid and / or antisocial acts (that have noticeably bad consequences) whilst under the influence. Few things in life are actually clear cut and sometimes the consequences of not doing something outweigh the consequences of doing whatever the alternatives is/was. Without wishing to encourage alcohol consumption some ‘pathetic’ drinkers - particular individuals - make the rest of us look even more insignificant and tiny.
Last edited by Carlton green on 26 Oct 2022, 7:13am, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
millimole

Post by millimole »

Carlton green wrote: I very rarely consume anything alcoholic and that’s out of choice, it’s just not an issue to me. To my mind alcohol is basically a substance which my body can (within limits) tolerate but wasn’t designed to be challenged by. The occasional glass of wine or pint of beer might not seem to have noticeable harm, but the harm might not be noticeable until long after the event … and the ability to notice subtle things is questionable.
This is where I am.
I have an occasional glass of port, and yesterday evening I had a glass of beer (I'm in Spain, not out of choice, and just really fancied one!)

The biggest issue initially was restaurant meals, particularly outside the UK where alcohol with meals was 'essential'. A lot of that attitude has changed and there's more acceptance of, say, sparkling water, with meals.

I am very happy to be with my peers and order non-alcoholic drinks in a pub or restaurant and no one ever notices or comments.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Alcohol use should be reduced as one ages . Subtract your age from 100 and then divide the residual sum by 2.5. Thus a 60 year old has a residual sum of 40 ,leading to 16 units a week .Anyone passing a hundred must abstain..