Waterproof Cycling Jacket

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Vectrum999

Waterproof Cycling Jacket

Post by Vectrum999 »

Hi,
I'm 6ft 2ins, 16 stone and 48" chest and having real trouble finding a half decent lightweight waterproof jacket to fit me.
I know I'm not the typical pencil thin cyclist, but I didn't think it would be this hard to find a cycling jacket.
Any suggestions gratefully received please? (and I don't mean go on a diet or do more cycling or anything unhelpful like that).
Cheers.
roubaixtuesday

Re: Waterproof Cycling Jacket

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Vectrum999 wrote: 31 Oct 2022, 3:42pm Hi,
I'm 6ft 2ins, 16 stone and 48" chest and having real trouble finding a half decent lightweight waterproof jacket to fit me.
I know I'm not the typical pencil thin cyclist, but I didn't think it would be this hard to find a cycling jacket.
Any suggestions gratefully received please? (and I don't mean go on a diet or do more cycling or anything unhelpful like that).
Cheers.
Not sure exactly what you mean by lightweight, and your budget may be an issue, but I'd recommend Showers Pass: I'm 6'4 and 14 stone, and their XL has plenty of room, and importantly for me, and probably you too nice long sleeves to go over gloves.
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

Altura do XXL .
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Goretex.
Full stop.

You'll find them on various websites, and they come in wide variety of sizes too.
Mick F. Cornwall
Grldtnr

Post by Grldtnr »

Whilst Gore -tex may work for you Mick, it doesn't suit everyone !
It is very much pot luck when your a 'Normal' size like the OP & me, but I think the best advice is to wear a Quality wicking undershirt , under any 'waterproof'. Or vapour permeable layer.
A laid back, low down, layabout recumbent triker!
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Grldtnr wrote: 31 Oct 2022, 5:24pm Whilst Gore -tex may work for you Mick, it doesn't suit everyone !
It is very much pot luck when your a 'Normal' size like the OP & me, but I think the best advice is to wear a Quality wicking undershirt , under any 'waterproof'. Or vapour permeable layer.
Agree re wicking base layer.

Also, FWIW, my previous waterproof was a Goretex paclite. Bought because it was, well light, packed easily into a back pocket, and Gore have a good reputation for breathability.

I learned from this that vents are more important than material for breathability (the paclite didn't have vents). I wouldn't buy a waterproof without them now.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Grldtnr wrote: 31 Oct 2022, 5:24pm Whilst Gore -tex may work for you Mick, it doesn't suit everyone !
There's all sorts of different Gore-Tex fabrics and jackets, for various purposes (rain, cold, wind .....).

Many on-line purveyors of cycling clothing publish a size guide for each item. For example, Gore-Tex jackets at Wiggle seem to have a size guide that lists chest size, waist size and arm length. Sizes go up to XXL which is often 46-48" chest sort of size.

For water and wind proofness, with exceptional performance, including the effective wicking of sweat, I like Gore-Tex shakedry jackets. Expensive but highly performant. A bit delicate but cycling doesn't usually involve scrambling through brambles. :-) Nothing gets near this stuff for being truly waterproof. It also packs down to a small bundle that easily fits into the smallest of rear jersey pockets.

They now do a version with a very lightweight but performant fleece to keep you warm as well as dry and proof agin' the cold winds. Not quite as packable but still very light and will go in your small under-saddle bag. Also expensive. But worth it.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 31 Oct 2022, 5:40pm...
Also, FWIW, my previous waterproof was a Goretex paclite. Bought because it was, well light, packed easily into a back pocket, and Gore have a good reputation for breathability.

I learned from this that vents are more important than material for breathability (the paclite didn't have vents). I wouldn't buy a waterproof without them now.
Yes.

My family has a fair collection of Paclite jackets. Superb for keeping in work bags or rucksacks for light rain. Not recommended for open country walking or for cycling.

Jonathan
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

The issue with all these so called ' waterproof' jackets is the lack of breathability. On a warm day you can end up with as much moisture inside the jacket from sweat as if you were not wearing one.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Mick F wrote: 31 Oct 2022, 4:12pm Goretex.
Full stop.
Gore Tex is a brand of fabric (made by / licensed to Gore-Tex, the brand) and it's then sold to countless clothing manufacturers to make their own products from it - everything from shoe linings to jackets, trousers to tents.

Just saying "Goretex" isn't helpful - it's simply a fabric.

OP: realistically, you'll probably need to try a few brands on. They all size and shape differently plus you get different weights of fabric from super light and packable right up to full on all-day winter gear.

Could try Fat Lad at the Back (genuine brand!) for "larger size" cycling kit. It's got a good reputation for actually making fitted stuff for the larger build rather than just saying XXL version of a race-fit jacket!
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Vectrum999 wrote: 31 Oct 2022, 3:42pm Hi,
Cheers.
I’m the same size as you, same height but slightly heavier and the same chest measurement and I have a Goretex Waterproof jacket in XXL that’s fits me well. I’ve also previously owned Altura Night Vision waterproofs in the same size. They aren’t easy to find but are available online if you search around. I also have a Boardman showerproof jacket In XXL that folds up small up small enough to go in a jersey pocket, plus a couple of Decathlon waterproof jackets, though these are a bit “boil in the bag”.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Grldtnr

Post by Grldtnr »

There are other materials to make weather tight clothing, one worth a mention is Ventile™, one of th original weather tight materials,still used today in various applications , one is for hospital theatre scrubs.Ventile was originally invented back in the 30's , to make immersion suits for ditched fighter pilots, it's a tight densely woven cotton material, which is also light waterproof and warm.
Maybe the OP could search it out , price wise your looking at £ 240, comparable to high end Goretex,
A laid back, low down, layabout recumbent triker!
soapbox

Post by soapbox »

I've always thought Gortex overrated. A far better alternative in my opinion is Paramo. The styling and detail isn't great, but for keeping you dry both from rain and sweat it beats Goretex. It's not cheap either, but can be re-proofed again and again. They don't make a cycling specific jacket, but the Velez is pretty close and comes in XXL.

https://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/e ... F7D93107FD
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

Plus one for ShowersPass.

My previous jacket was goretex and imnsho ShowersPass does a much better job.

Quite pricy however.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

What's your budget?

If budget then the Lidl / Aldi jacket is quite roomy, as is the blue reflective boardman jacket.

Both affordable esp for commuting.