Waterproof Cycling Jacket

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
brianleach

Re: Waterproof Cycling Jacket

Post by brianleach »

https://www.corinnedennis.co.uk/mens-extreme-jacket

I was going to suggest this as a left field option but I see it is out of stock. Definitely not Goretex so can be a bit boil in the bag but reasonably priced when available.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

soapbox wrote: 31 Oct 2022, 9:40pm I've always thought Gortex overrated. A far better alternative in my opinion is Paramo. The styling and detail isn't great, but for keeping you dry both from rain and sweat it beats Goretex. It's not cheap either, but can be re-proofed again and again. They don't make a cycling specific jacket, but the Velez is pretty close and comes in XXL.

https://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/e ... F7D93107FD
100% agree with all of that.

I have five Paramo jackets which nicely covers everything that I get up to. Dry, warm, lightweight and sort of 'nicer' to wear than Gortex (IMHO) Easy to re-proof and Paramo do repairs.

Not cheap, but I've yet to wear one out.

Edit - I wear XL in most things and I find that my XL Paramo jackets are VERY generously made. An XXL will be a whopper.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Vectrum999 wrote: 31 Oct 2022, 3:42pm Hi,
I'm 6ft 2ins, 16 stone and 48" chest and having real trouble finding a half decent lightweight waterproof jacket to fit me.
I know I'm not the typical pencil thin cyclist, but I didn't think it would be this hard to find a cycling jacket.
Any suggestions gratefully received please? (and I don't mean go on a diet or do more cycling or anything unhelpful like that).
Cheers.
This is something of a recurring topic in one form or another. I've highlighted "waterproof" because nothing but nothing will keep you dry when cycling in rain. The problem isn't a lack of impermeability but condensation, which tends to form on the inside of the garment exactly where it's wet on the outside, making it easy to believe that rain is penetrating the garment. That's aggravated by the fact that cycling typically involves making the biggest efforts when riding uphill but taking the biggest chill on the front of garments when riding downhill.

All cycling togs have their advantages and disadvantages which owners sometimes stress to the exclusion of everything else. Unless you are keen to look the part, then I'd suggest taking treating fit as your main criterion and go for general purpose rather than cycling specific togs. Bear in mind you need something cut longer at the back but that seems common in anorak-type garments anyway
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Has v999 considered a cape? The advantages to do with sizing may appeal.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Also once condensation forms on the inside (or indeed the outside 'wets out'), microporous membranes like goretex stop functioning altogether. Keeping the DWR active is critical here, which means washing in soap, not laundry detergent (unless you've proper soiled it, in which case it's detergent wash to get the grease off followed by a soap wash to get the detegent off...) as if the water is sticking, not beading off then it will both chill the outside more and also stop the membrane working from that side also. But it does also mean at least some washing, if you don't wash such jackets at all the micropores will get clogged with your sweat/oils etc.

I've not had a shakedry jacket, seems far too fragile for my needs, however my general experiences are that the alternative hydrophilic solid membranes like sympatex do a little less badly in warm wet conditions as water will continue to move to the outside of the jacket even after the membrane is in contact with liquid water and not just vapour. The Paramo method also looks like it would also be very good for this, though I think the advertising calling it 'waterproof' is a bit of a stretch as unlikely the membrane methods you're not getting away with leaning against actually wet things or sitting in a puddle/snow, still for humid mild wet conditions where that isn't happening looks quite ideal

That said, I'd concur with above, good ventilation is far more important, and the jacket being a bit baggy can help here as it provides space for the air to circulate inside to work, hence when going more sedate speeds, use of capes/ponchos is an option. Mostly one that is now only seen in the Netherlands.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

(Recycling alert!)

One of the very first things I remember from an article in the comic circa 1958 was a letter from a reader recommending wrapping an innertube around the shoulders - in much the same way as racers carried a tub - then partially inflating it to allow the air to circulate under a traditional cape to minimise condensation.

I think that normally, precipitation occurs because the air is saturated with water, so once you have worked up a lather, condensation is almost inevitable on a bike
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

I have a venerable paramo jacket which I use for non-summer walking and skiing/touring, but I find it too heavy and hot for cycling at anything above pootling pace.
A lightweight shell top with decent venting (shakedry if the budget allows) would be my preference.
PH

Post by PH »

I have two Showers Pass jackets in use (And a third that's worn out) and a Paramo.
The Paramo (Don't know the model, midweight and not cycling specific) was cheap and isn't the best fit, a bit baggy, which may effect it's performance. I like it if it's cold and damp and I'm likely to wear it the entire ride. It does wet out in a downpour, despite frequent re-proofing, it remains fairly comfortable but takes an age to dry out. Mine fails the OP's requirement for lightweight, it takes up half a pannier, I wouldn't carry it on the off chance of it being required.
Those recommending Showers Pass ought to be more specific, they offer a range of jackets and they'e quite different.
Mine are:
Elite - The original e-vent version before they started using their own fabric, it's a road riding cut and higher at the front than most, it's the best ventilated jacket I've ever owned and IMO this is more important than the breathability of the fabric. I've worn the fabric thin in a couple of places, not worn it for ages though it'll still shrug off a shower. can't remember how old it is, but I feel I had my monies worth.
Refuge - Fantastic general purpose jacket, a more casual fit than the Elite, not quite as well vented, It's my go to jacket for leisure riding and walking.
Elements - this is my work jacket, it gets a lot of use and is very durable, it isn't as well featured as the Refuge, it's a different material, wets out easier, packs a bit smaller. It's an OK jacket, though IMO not exceptional, I feel there's probably jackets as good and considerably cheaper.

Gore-Tex. Just to note that the the patent on the original technology ran out long ago, although they've made some developments since. For most jackets, it won't really matter if it has the Gore-Tex brand. If you're interested in the breathability, look at the spec rather than the label.
PH

Post by PH »

Stevek76 wrote: 1 Nov 2022, 10:59am That said, I'd concur with above, good ventilation is far more important, and the jacket being a bit baggy can help here as it provides space for the air to circulate inside to work
An expansion of this is that they tend to work better the less you have on under them.
I see people putting jackets on over their jersey when it started to rain, they haven't given the material a chance to work. Unless it's become considerably colder, I swap jersey for jacket. One of the advantages of a well ventilated jacket is being comfortable wearing it when it isn't raining, adjusting the zips rather than frequently adding and removing.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

PH wrote: 1 Nov 2022, 12:01pm Gore-Tex. Just to note that the the patent on the original technology ran out long ago, although they've made some developments since. For most jackets, it won't really matter if it has the Gore-Tex brand. If you're interested in the breathability, look at the spec rather than the label.
Unfortunately even the specs aren't particularly reliable. There are a few different breathability tests methods and manufacturers aren't always clear about which they've used. Also I can't find the link now but recall an interview/chat with someone at one of the smaller outwear brands was noting that they got some pretty inconsistent results back from different testers!
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

I have this one:

Outdoor Research
Outdoor Research Helium Rain Jacket
Made of PERTEX SHIELD
Similar rating to Gortex, works well enough
$159.00 in the US so little less in pounds in the UK - even with close to parity.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Grldtnr wrote: 31 Oct 2022, 8:24pm There are other materials to make weather tight clothing, one worth a mention is Ventile™, one of th original weather tight materials,still used today in various applications , one is for hospital theatre scrubs.Ventile was originally invented back in the 30's , to make immersion suits for ditched fighter pilots, it's a tight densely woven cotton material, which is also light waterproof and warm.
Maybe the OP could search it out , price wise your looking at £ 240, comparable to high end Goretex,
+1 for ventile, amazing stuff
It's time to go :-)
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

This post proves how pointless it is to recommend anything really.
I find Paramo absolutely awful.
Way too warm and thus terribly sweaty. My thin pertex type Paramo wind proof is fine and with a good coating of the sealants you get is great for many conditions butt to call it water proof is wrong.
The OP needs to look at two different but linked features.
1.Fabric. Goretex is the big named, used by many and if you get the right version seems to off the greatest ability to keep rain out whilst letting sweat/vapour escape./ All other so called breathable fabrics will claim similar things. A string vest is much more breathable and a plastic bag over your head with no hole in the top is the most water proof. Dire at the other element though. :D No fabric that is waterpoof will allow all vapour to escape. You pick you compromise and avoid getting hot underneath.
2. Design. Matter of opinion. I want close fit (can hinder breathability/ventilation) but less flappy at speed, a long tail to cover my saddle when on the drops and a waterproof zip AND several flaps over that zip. (this never happens) Holes in the design to allow head, limbs and torso through hinder waterproofing as does opening the neck and any zips to cool down or just allow you to be lazy. Zip the pockets up!

My point is that all we can do, like so many things, is reflect on what we have used. As size is an issue we cannot comment unless we have experience of a jacket that is for sale in that size. To recommend a make or model that doesn't exist in that size is pointless. As I am 5'7 and 11 stone I cannot indicate any jacket that may work.
elmo

Post by elmo »

The best piece of cycling kit I have ever owned is the Carradice waxed cape. I used this for commuting for years. Bone dry underneath after cycling through heavy thunder storms.
Vectrum999

Post by Vectrum999 »

Thanks for the suggestion people - looking at sub £100 so some suggestions way over my budget.

It's the fit more than the style I guess - all XXL cycling gear seems to be tiny, no matter what it is and who it's made by.

May look at generic Mountain Warehouse/Trespass - I know the XXL fits there.

Just want something that's easy to pack to chuck on on the way home after work if it's started raining. Pack-a-mac I suppose. A fairly good one