Travelling to southern Europe without flying

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Re: Travelling to southern Europe without flying

Post by simonhill »

MrsHJ - plenty of bike friendly trains from Malaga to Seville. Probably about €20 plus 1 for bike booking. I did most of it this Spring when the weather turned nasty. Malaga airport to mainline station by bike friendly metro - €3 ish.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Good to know thanks Simon.

Ryanair (oh goody) seem to be doing a weekly direct flight from Exeter to Malaga so that’s probably going to be easiest.

Then again depends if any of us can afford to go anywhere by next year!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Are you following "Thinking about doing a North to South Spain late August early September"?
viewtopic.php?p=1726411#p1726411

Jonathan
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Jdsk wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 4:41pm Are you following "Thinking about doing a North to South Spain late August early September"?
viewtopic.php?p=1726411#p1726411

Jonathan
Yep, particularly the Cadiz info- I’ve driven there before but hoped the ferry would be ok. Feels like it’s not a runner.
Therealsouthstander

Post by Therealsouthstander »

Yep, particularly the Cadiz info- I’ve driven there before but hoped the ferry would be ok. Feels like it’s not a runner.
[/quote]

It was a bit windy when we arrived so maybe the cancellation was justified.. The bus worked fine but the train would have been a better option. Just make sure its not one that started in Seville as they seemed to be fully booked for bikes.. Saying that I'd take your chance with the ferry.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

As I said somewhere else, you can cycle into Cadiz, I did.

It's along the isthmus that links Cadiz to the mainland to the south. It's a recognised cycle path/route on good quality dirt. Alongside the rail and CA 33 motorway.

It's probably part of EV4 (Edit EV 8) one of the most rubbish cycle routes I've seen, actually not seen as there is virtually no signage let alone sign of it anywhere.
Last edited by simonhill on 30 Sep 2022, 11:35am, edited 1 time in total.
mjr

Post by mjr »

simonhill wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 6:22pm As I said somewhere else, you can cycle into Cadiz, I did.

It's along the isthmus that links Cadiz to the mainland to the south. It's a recognised cycle path/route on good quality dirt. Alongside the rail and CA 33 motorway.

It's probably part of EV4, one of the most rubbish cycle routes I've seen, actually not seen as there is virtually no signage let alone sign of it anywhere.
EV4 is Roscoff-Vlissingen-Prague-Kiev so I wouldn't expect signs in Spain.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Sorry EV 8, Cadiz to Izmir. Me, Malaga to Cadiz and onwards.

Despite my numerical inexactitude, it was still rubbish, unless you like fast dual carriageways.
marmite

Post by marmite »

PH wrote: 21 Sep 2022, 7:55pm
marmite wrote: 21 Sep 2022, 2:49pm "You should be able to claim that back from HMRC. Keep the UPS invoice, it'll have a unique number on it.
If you have any problem finding the right paperwork, I'll dig mine out."

I need to know how this is done so I don't make the same mistake again. I probably won't pursue it this time.
You have three years to reclaim, so maybe have a look at it and if you find yourself with a couple of hours to spare...
The form is C285, this link contains all the relevant information. You may need evidence that it was your property in the UK, but you don't need any formal export documentation. The number you need is the Movement Reference Number, it won't get far without it, it ties the payment and refund together. if it's not on your invoice, ask UPS for it, they'll be used to people asking by now!
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-appl ... rpaid-c285
Thanks, I had a look at form C285. It is horrible. I will have another look when I am feeling stronger.

I am still not entirely sure what circumstances allow one to reclaim duty. Is it simply enough that the goods were already your property? I do now begin to understand why Eurostar continues its bike ban. Unless (lightbulb idea) they find a way of letting the bikes on as accompanied luggage and thus also make it easier to cycle to and from the train.
PH

Post by PH »

marmite wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 5:20pm I am still not entirely sure what circumstances allow one to reclaim duty. Is it simply enough that the goods were already your property?
That's pretty much it.
Despite what some would have us believe, there are no punitive taxes, if you were not liable for the tax you are entitled to it back. That's not to say it wouldn't have been easier with the right paperwork to begin with, or that they'll make it easy for you to reclaim it, but it doesn't matter who's error it was, if it wasn't due you can get it back.
marmite

Post by marmite »

simonhill wrote: 21 Sep 2022, 4:40pm Marmite - £200 to save being stranded in Plymouth ??

Why not book a hotel in Plymouth. I did this for Portsmouth and it cost £44 for a Travelodge in the centre of town. I booked online, from Caen.

Took the train in the morning.
Hi
It would have cost me 20 Euros + £75 in bus and ferry fares to get to Santander from Santiago, which was more than the Correos postage, so a no-brainer. So the plan was in place before the extra costs piled up. I was a bit too hot and weary by the time I got to the UPS office to change my plans again. And I wanted to get home. Had I had more time and energy the Plymouth travelodge would have been an option, of course. It's all experience gained.
marmite

Post by marmite »

PH wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 5:30pm
marmite wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 5:20pm I am still not entirely sure what circumstances allow one to reclaim duty. Is it simply enough that the goods were already your property?
That's pretty much it.
Despite what some would have us believe, there are no punitive taxes, if you were not liable for the tax you are entitled to it back. That's not to say it wouldn't have been easier with the right paperwork to begin with, or that they'll make it easy for you to reclaim it, but it doesn't matter who's error it was, if it wasn't due you can get it back.
Thanks. I'll know for next time at least.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Difficult to know where to post this as it could concern a number of Europe posts.

Nonetheless, Steve Baker, new Northern Island Minister has apologised for his anti EU rhetoric over the last 6 years, He was a leading member of the ERG.

Could this be a softening of our approach to the EU? Could it lead to less onerous entry and Custom rules?

.......................or am I only dreaming.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

It's a very good question. And even mixed messages are better than the current state!

Jonathan

PS: I was just about to ask something similar in the Ireland thread!
viewtopic.php?p=1721706#p1721706
marmite

Post by marmite »

nirakaro wrote: 14 Apr 2022, 5:51pm If you're not in a rush, I've found that a short-to-normal day's cycling each day, plus hopping on a local train whenever possible, works nicely - for example I got from the heel of Italy to the Channel, including a couple of Alpine passes, in a non-strenuous eight day ride.
Hi I would be interested in your route. The cycle+ slow train option + overnight stays does seem to be the way forward but you also want the bits you choose to cycle to be nice.