Braverman: Rise of the Fascists

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Braverman: Rise of the Fascists

Post by reohn2 »

Raab,another rat jumping ship.....
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote: 23 May 2023, 2:59pm ...
It stinks that the problem attracting criticism is misuse of the civil service and not that we have a government minister who went on a lethally-fast rampage around the streets....
Or might be that the focus on use of Civil Servants for personal purposes is something that will cause her to be sacked from her Ministerial post whereas a speeding offence wont.

i.e. the focus is on something achievable rather that something papers report in a hidden 1 column inch on page 7 and that's the end of it and she carries on as though nothing has happened (which is maybe her character, no regret, no remorse).

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 21 May 2023, 12:06pm
Jdsk wrote: 21 May 2023, 10:50am I don't think that the speeding issue will bring her down, and I'm not expecting an inquiry.

But OTOH the Prime Minister has just expressed his full confidence...
I would agree (wont bring her down and there wont be an inquiry) but I don't think Labour really want that as at worst it would give a "not a big deal" answer. What Labour probably want is for Sunak to say no so it becomes another brick in the sleaze impression the electorate have (Johnson, Hancock, Raab, etc., etc. (this being one of the non-specific "etc"). One of those cases where nobody will remember specifics but will incrementally contribute to the poor reputation of Conservatives.
"Rishi Sunak has decided not to order an investigation into claims the UK home secretary, Suella Braverman, broke the ministerial code by requesting to do a private speed awareness course, it has been announced."
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ishi-sunak

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 24 May 2023, 10:47am
Psamathe wrote: 21 May 2023, 12:06pm
Jdsk wrote: 21 May 2023, 10:50am I don't think that the speeding issue will bring her down, and I'm not expecting an inquiry.

But OTOH the Prime Minister has just expressed his full confidence...
I would agree (wont bring her down and there wont be an inquiry) but I don't think Labour really want that as at worst it would give a "not a big deal" answer. What Labour probably want is for Sunak to say no so it becomes another brick in the sleaze impression the electorate have (Johnson, Hancock, Raab, etc., etc. (this being one of the non-specific "etc"). One of those cases where nobody will remember specifics but will incrementally contribute to the poor reputation of Conservatives.
"Rishi Sunak has decided not to order an investigation into claims the UK home secretary, Suella Braverman, broke the ministerial code by requesting to do a private speed awareness course, it has been announced."
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ishi-sunak

Jonathan
Which plays into Labour's hands to counter his initial claims of a Government with "integrity, professionalism and accountability". Personally I think an inquiry would have been a win/win for Sunak as it defuses Labour's attacks in the short term and if it vindicates Braverman then he's done the "integrity, professionalism and accountability" he promised and if it finds against her she has to resign which rids him of an incompetent fool he can't get rid of without upsetting the extreme right of his MPs.

I'm not particularly impressed with Sunak - he seems to be making daft mistakes for no good reason e.g. private helicopter travel Southampton to London costing taxpayer £6000 and high Climate Change pollution - something Labour managed to get in again today on the radio.

Ian
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The totally free organ of the left wing of the Labour Party, The Guardian, is a brilliant idea. Hats off to them. The BBC also voices their poison as headlines. Meanwhile as to actual Labour policies, no one has a clue, their public pronouncements just seem to be a stream of desperate damnations of various minor inconsequential cock ups by the Tories past and present. The good news reported elsewhere is absent from tne free media. Suckers who only read the Guardian and listen to the Beeb are victims of a well organised left wing propaganda campaign.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

There speaks the font of all knowledge.
How's Brexit doing Al? :shock: :roll:
W H Auden
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

al_yrpal wrote: 24 May 2023, 12:22pm The totally free organ of the left wing of the Labour Party, The Guardian, is a brilliant idea. Hats off to them. The BBC also voices their poison as headlines. Meanwhile as to actual Labour policies, no one has a clue, their public pronouncements just seem to be a stream of desperate damnations of various minor inconsequential cock ups by the Tories past and present. The good news reported elsewhere is absent from tne free media. Suckers who only read the Guardian and listen to the Beeb are victims of a well organised left wing propaganda campaign.

Al
Have to say I much prefer Sky News to the BBC these days. Much sharper commentary.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

UpWrong wrote: 24 May 2023, 1:40pm
al_yrpal wrote: 24 May 2023, 12:22pm The totally free organ of the left wing of the Labour Party, The Guardian, is a brilliant idea. Hats off to them. The BBC also voices their poison as headlines. Meanwhile as to actual Labour policies, no one has a clue, their public pronouncements just seem to be a stream of desperate damnations of various minor inconsequential cock ups by the Tories past and present. The good news reported elsewhere is absent from tne free media. Suckers who only read the Guardian and listen to the Beeb are victims of a well organised left wing propaganda campaign.
Have to say I much prefer Sky News to the BBC these days. Much sharper commentary.
Sky News on the decision not to hold an inquiry:
https://news.sky.com/story/suella-brave ... y-12886648

Jonathan
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Al
Feel better now?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Al
If you think the Guardian is very left wing it says a lot more about your views than theirs. It's more Socoal Democartic than left wing. Your Reform party didn't do very well in the recent council elections did it?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pwa

Post by pwa »

I don't think Braverman will be brought down over this speeding thing. She plainly didn't try to dodge the penalty for her offence, she just sought a private session rather than a group session. And if, as reported, she drags a contingent of body guard with her wherever she goes, that makes sense. She may have been wrong to ask civil servants to make enquiries about that for her, but surely that is debatable, given that it affected her diary. And in the end she just took the points and fine, like anyone else who could not attend the course. If she slipped up, it was in a small and technical way.

As yet I have no idea of the extent of her speeding, or the road conditions where it happened, so I'm not going to pass judgement on that beyond saying that as she admits the offence she rightly paid the penalty and carries the points on her licence.

What should sink her is her daft policy on small boat migration.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PWA
She did enquire about claiming the fine on her parliamentary expenses,and she did try to get away with not sitting with the plebs on a speed awareness course.
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote: 24 May 2023, 7:02pm I don't think Braverman will be brought down over this speeding thing. She plainly didn't try to dodge the penalty for her offence, she just sought a private session rather than a group session. And if, as reported, she drags a contingent of body guard with her wherever she goes, that makes sense. She may have been wrong to ask civil servants to make enquiries about that for her, but surely that is debatable, given that it affected her diary. And in the end she just took the points and fine, like anyone else who could not attend the course. If she slipped up, it was in a small and technical way.

As yet I have no idea of the extent of her speeding, or the road conditions where it happened, so I'm not going to pass judgement on that beyond saying that as she admits the offence she rightly paid the penalty and carries the points on her licence.

What should sink her is her daft policy on small boat migration.
The point is she is Home Secretary, responsible for law and order in the UK. She's been caught breaking the law, and for that reason should be sacked.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

reohn2 wrote: 25 May 2023, 7:59am PWA
She did enquire about claiming the fine on her parliamentary expenses...
You sure about that? What's your source?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 25 May 2023, 10:43am
reohn2 wrote: 25 May 2023, 7:59am PWA
She did enquire about claiming the fine on her parliamentary expenses...
You sure about that? What's your source?
It's well known and well publicised. Guardian, Mail, Mirror etc all reported on it.