Braverman: Rise of the Fascists

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

Re: Braverman: Rise of the Fascists

Post by simonineaston »

From Tory haters' perspective, the longer the current hs stays in post, the better... it's hard to imagine an incumbent who would be easier to dislike! Who'd of thought we'd get an hs who makes her predecessor-under-Johnson look reasonable?!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

pete75 wrote: 25 May 2023, 11:13am
roubaixtuesday wrote: 25 May 2023, 10:43am
reohn2 wrote: 25 May 2023, 7:59am PWA
She did enquire about claiming the fine on her parliamentary expenses...
You sure about that? What's your source?
It's well known and well publicised. Guardian, Mail, Mirror etc all reported on it.
It's not known by me.

So I googled it.

The report isn't that she enquired about claiming this fine on expenses, but that on her first day as an MP she asked the question if speeding fines could be claimed as part of a briefing for MPs on how the system works.

The claim was by another Tory MP who obviously loathes her.

https://twitter.com/William_Wragg/statu ... yGveQtAAAA

If true that's obviously idiotic, but quite different to what you've written.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 25 May 2023, 11:34am ...
The report isn't that she enquired about claiming this fine on expenses, but that on her first day as an MP she asked the question if speeding fines could be claimed as part of a briefing for MPs on how the system works.

TTBOMK I haven't seen another source.

Jonathan
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Jdsk wrote: 25 May 2023, 11:39am

Jonathan
TTBOMK?? Sounds like an energy gel brand!
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 25 May 2023, 11:42am

Jonathan
:lol:

Post by roubaixtuesday »

mattheus wrote: 25 May 2023, 11:48am

Jonathan

Post by mattheus »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 25 May 2023, 12:02pm
mattheus wrote: 25 May 2023, 11:48am

mjr

Post by mjr »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 25 May 2023, 11:34am The report isn't that she enquired about claiming this fine on expenses, but that on her first day as an MP she asked the question if speeding fines could be claimed as part of a briefing for MPs on how the system works.
So was "this fine" not a "speeding fine"?

If anything, enquiring in advance about claiming fines as expenses shows intent to break the law and, thereby, unsuitability for her current job, as both HS and MP.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

mjr wrote: 25 May 2023, 1:22pm
roubaixtuesday wrote: 25 May 2023, 11:34am The report isn't that she enquired about claiming this fine on expenses, but that on her first day as an MP she asked the question if speeding fines could be claimed as part of a briefing for MPs on how the system works.

If anything, enquiring in advance about claiming fines as expenses shows intent to break the law and, thereby, unsuitability for her current job, as both HS and MP.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

What was written about her wasn't true. She did not enquire if this fine could be set off against expenses.

What she did allegedly say on her first day as an MP does not show any "intent to break the law", though I agree if it's as reported, it was wrong of her to do what she did. Perhaps it was a limp joke, who knows.

She is transparently unsuited to her role for many obvious reasons, hence as @matteus rightly says, there's no need to make up, or distort what she has done - it only undermines the case against her.

I'm not defending Braverman (what a task that would be!) only asking that allegations against her are well founded.
mjr

Post by mjr »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 25 May 2023, 3:25pm

What was written about her wasn't true. She did not enquire if this fine could be set off against expenses.
If the report of her question in the new MP briefing is correct, she did ask if this fine could be claimed as expenses, but long before she was fined. So the allegation is indeed accurate.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 25 May 2023, 11:34am
roubaixtuesday wrote: 25 May 2023, 10:43am

You sure about that? What's your source?
It's well known and well publicised. Guardian, Mail, Mirror etc all reported on it.
It's not known by me.

So I googled it.

She enquired about claiming any speeding fines on expenses. This was a speeding fine. Work it out.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

pete75 wrote: 25 May 2023, 3:31pm

It's not known by me.

So I googled it.

She enquired about claiming speeding fines on expenses. This was a speeding fine. Work it out.
Nonsense. The original claim was "She did enquire about claiming the fine on her parliamentary expenses..."

It clearly relates to the current offence and is not true. Note the definite article.

Work it out.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 25 May 2023, 3:35pm
pete75 wrote: 25 May 2023, 3:31pm

It's not known by me.

So I googled it.

She enquired about claiming speeding fines on expenses. This was a speeding fine. Work it out.
Nonsense. The original claim was "She did enquire about claiming the fine on her parliamentary expenses..."

It clearly relates to the current offence and is not true. Note the definite article.

Work it out.
She enquired about claiming speeding fines on expenses. This was a speeding fine. Therefore it was an enquiry about claiming this and any other speeding offences.
You're clutching at straws in trying to defend the woman. (deleted by moderator)
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

pete75 wrote: 25 May 2023, 4:25pm You're clutching at straws in trying to defend the woman. (deleted by moderator)
Jeez. You don't really care how well your attacks on her are presented, are you??

It's funny how sometimes, rabid internet lefties actually push me into defending tories ... It's a funny old world!