Cycling training camps/holidays in Sweden?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jon in Sweden

Re: Cycling training camps/holidays in Sweden?

Post by Jon in Sweden »

Vorpal wrote: 19 Apr 2023, 1:33pm
geomannie wrote: 4 Nov 2022, 5:11pm With the dearth of ferries from the UK to Scandinavia it's hard to see a non-flying option of getting there, unless you or anyone else knows good non-fly options.
The easiest non-flying alternative is probably driving and using the Channel Tunnel train. You can also ferry from Kiel or Copenhagen.

It's not terrible by train. I guess you need to allow 24 - 32 hours to do it, but there are various options. The least changes (but likely a somewhat longer journey) is Eurostar to Brussels, change for Hamburg, change for Copenhagen, change for Växjö (or wherever the nearest station is). The quickest, most direct route will have around 6 changes, some which may have shorter layovers than recommended for regional / intercountry trains. There's also a Hamburg - Stockholm sleeper, but you have to change stations in Hamburg for that one.

The difficulty, of course, is taking bikes across multiple changes. That's not too bad with some rail services, but it is unfortunately, not consistent & will probably mean boxing them & taking them as luggage.
I think it'd be a bit of a mission to take the train here. Not impossible, but only for the determined!

We just drove to and from the UK last week and it was OK, but at 950 miles in each direction just to get to Dover, a fair chunk of driving.

I would recommend the plane, if possible.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I've mainly used trains and bike as transport around Scandinavia. And while the rules on Swedish trains for taking bikes are not as convenient as in the other Nordic countries, it is feasible.

I think, given that cyclists are more likely to be environmentally conscious than many other holiday-makers, it may be wise to have some suggestions to hand that don't involve flying.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

You do make a valid point Vorpal. I shall see what we can come up with.

It's so good to be home. Barely seen a cloud in the sky this week. 15c and sunny today and had a meeting 28km away, so took the bike. Stopped off for a quick swim on the way:

The water is still only about 10c, but very welcome and refreshing after a brisk cycle ride.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Vorpal wrote: 19 Apr 2023, 3:01pm ...
I think, given that cyclists are more likely to be environmentally conscious than many other holiday-makers, it may be wise to have some suggestions to hand that don't involve flying.
This sounds right to me: do the research, make the findings available to potential customers, support them in their choice (even if it wouldn't be yours).

Jonathan
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Jon in Sweden wrote: 19 Apr 2023, 2:32pm
I would recommend the plane, if possible.
And many people would recommend only using a plane where absolutely necessary. (Have you asked Greta??)
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Seems that we need a campaign to re-open the Harwich to Denmark ferry service. Oh look, there is one. I've signed the petition,
https://www.reopen-the-harwich-to-esbje ... m/petition
Should I post this in the Touring sub-forum?

EDIT: probably better in the Campaigns sub-forum.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

There is a Germany to Norway direct ferry. It was Holland to Normay but they are moving port. Arrives at Kristiansand. It takes bikes. Is that helpful for getting to Sweden?
https://hollandnorwaylines.com/
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

UpWrong wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 9:38am Seems that we need a campaign to re-open the Harwich to Denmark ferry service. Oh look, there is one. I've signed the petition,
https://www.reopen-the-harwich-to-esbje ... m/petition
Should I post this in the Touring sub-forum?

EDIT: probably better in the Campaigns sub-forum.
Thanks, signed - over 21,000 sigs already!

Hopefully Jon will encourage his customers (and enquirers) to sign.

Worth posting elsewhere, maybe one of the "Europe without flying"-type threads?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

UpWrong wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 10:06am There is a Germany to Norway direct ferry. It was Holland to Normay but they are moving port. Arrives at Kristiansand. It takes bikes. Is that helpful for getting to Sweden?
https://hollandnorwaylines.com/
Only indirectly. Jon is 11 or 12 hours by train from Kristiansand.

It is possible to take ferry from Kristiansand to Hirtshals, cycle a couple of hours, take another ferry to Gothenberg, or cycle a bit further south & take a ferry to Halmstad and travel onward from there. I guess it's a couple days cycling (1 from Halmstad) or a 4 or 5 hour bus ride?

None of it is on the same ferry lines & it can become logistically difficult, but not impossible.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Galactic

Post by Galactic »

Vorpal wrote: 23 Apr 2023, 10:13pm It is possible to take ferry from Kristiansand to Hirtshals, cycle a couple of hours, take another ferry to Gothenberg, or cycle a bit further south & take a ferry to Halmstad and travel onward from there. I guess it's a couple days cycling (1 from Halmstad) or a 4 or 5 hour bus ride?
Surely just getting the ferry from Kiel to Götheborg would less faff?

Other options:
  • Travemünde (near Lübeck) to Malmö, then the Öresundtøg train
  • Rostock/Rügen to Trelleborg
  • Train from Hamburg (or wherever, with change in Hamburg) to Copenhagen, then Öresundtøg train
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

It is a real shame that the ferry links are so poor between Scandinavia and the UK. I'd certainly use the ferry from Denmark, provided it wasn't stupidly expensive. And I'm fortunate enough to have relatives at exactly the half way point between Sweden and the UK. I don't enjoy driving 16hrs on the European side, if I can help it.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Galactic wrote: 24 Apr 2023, 6:31am
Vorpal wrote: 23 Apr 2023, 10:13pm It is possible to take ferry from Kristiansand to Hirtshals, cycle a couple of hours, take another ferry to Gothenberg, or cycle a bit further south & take a ferry to Halmstad and travel onward from there. I guess it's a couple days cycling (1 from Halmstad) or a 4 or 5 hour bus ride?
Surely just getting the ferry from Kiel to Götheborg would less faff?

Other options:
  • Travemünde (near Lübeck) to Malmö, then the Öresundtøg train
  • Rostock/Rügen to Trelleborg
  • Train from Hamburg (or wherever, with change in Hamburg) to Copenhagen, then Öresundtøg train
Yes, the ferry to Gothenburg would be less faff. I was answering the specific question about the ferry to Kristiansand. TBH, bike & ferry is a nice way to tour the Nordics, but it's not a quick way to get to a specific place :D
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

Here is a video from some gravel cycling at the weekend, if anyone is interested. This is very typical of what's here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKwzx2BweSY
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

If anyone is able to drop everything and get themselves to Stansted airport this Friday, we can do a week's accommodation for £195, sleeping 4. Flights are £15 each way, car hire starting at a touch over £100. The weather forecast is excellent and we have quite a lot of bikes.

Please send a message through our Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100085383722965
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

I'm doing a fairly long gravel event today - Lönneberga Gravel.

https://www.lonnebergagravel.com/

162km of mostly gravel around Vimmerby, through forest and past lakes. I'm especially looking forward to the meatballs, mash and local beer at the end!

Here is the route:

https://www.plotaroute.com/route/2239362

I'm taking a GoPro with me and I'll do a (very basic) video of the experience.