Campsites for cyclists in Germany

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Galactic

Re: Campsites for cyclists in Germany

Post by Galactic »

Psamathe wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 11:14am Plenty on maps but when you get there it's not what most people here would be wanting for camping.
Being old-fashioned and liking paper maps, I almost always have the excellent BVA/ADFC maps on hand. With a few exceptions, whenever I've gone to a campsite marked on those maps, it's been there and happy to accommodate tents. The few exceptions have been sites that have closed down since the map was researched.

I guess if you're using other paper-based maps to find your campsite, it may be worth a quick cross check with Archies list (date handily imported into cycle.travel), or https://opencampingmap.org
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Galactic wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 8:46am
Psamathe wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 11:14am Plenty on maps but when you get there it's not what most people here would be wanting for camping.
Being old-fashioned and liking paper maps, I almost always have the excellent BVA/ADFC maps on hand. With a few exceptions, whenever I've gone to a campsite marked on those maps, it's been there and happy to accommodate tents. The few exceptions have been sites that have closed down since the map was researched.

I guess if you're using other paper-based maps to find your campsite, it may be worth a quick cross check with Archies list (date handily imported into cycle.travel), or https://opencampingmap.org
Other than through the Archies smartphone apps, that data is n ow drifting out of date (the downloadable lists are no longer being updated. Unless some 3rd party sites have come to some agreement about the data?

Ian
Galactic

Post by Galactic »

Psamathe wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 10:45am Other than through the Archies smartphone apps, that data is n ow drifting out of date
Give it a chance! If I recall correctly, that decision was only taken a few months ago - doubt there'll be much 'data drift' just yet ...

I seem to also remember the cycle.travel person was in contact with Archie to see whether cycle.travel could continue providing up to date information.

But https://opencampingmap.org seems surprisingly comprehensive, plus the other sites and lists I suggested near the top of thread could also be useful.

It's a shame really, how we're reduced to comparing various lists and databases, sucks some of the spontaneity out of cycle touring.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Galactic wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 11:02am
Psamathe wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 10:45am Other than through the Archies smartphone apps, that data is n ow drifting out of date
Give it a chance! If I recall correctly, that decision was only taken a few months ago - doubt there'll be much 'data drift' just yet ...

I seem to also remember the cycle.travel person was in contact with Archie to see whether cycle.travel could continue providing up to date information.

But https://opencampingmap.org seems surprisingly comprehensive, plus the other sites and lists I suggested near the top of thread could also be useful.

It's a shame really, how we're reduced to comparing various lists and databases, sucks some of the spontaneity out of cycle touring.
Most people wont be looking for campsites until next spring/summer by which time it will have "drifted" as some campsites don't re-open and maybe some new ones do.

Ian
beeb

Post by beeb »

We have started our planning and some of the German campsites are very expensive. 28 euros in June, per night is more than we like to pay as we are away for 6 weeks. Local taxes are quite high in some areas, like 3 euros per person per night. As soon as we get in to Cz republic prices some much more reasonable.

No wonder we have always headed for France at least their taxes are done a progressive way, so 2 star campsites are 20 or 40 cents a night.
Galactic

Post by Galactic »

I've noticed prices have been creeping up the last 10 years or so, although I've never had to pay more than 25€ for two people and one tent so far, but keep expecting it to happen.

The kind of sites I list in the second post of page one are generally way less than 20€ for two people, you might be lucky to find a few along your route, along with gardens in https://1nitetent.com/en/home/.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

beeb wrote: 18 Jan 2023, 3:44pm We have started our planning and some of the German campsites are very expensive. 28 euros in June, per night is more than we like to pay as we are away for 6 weeks. Local taxes are quite high in some areas, like 3 euros per person per night. As soon as we get in to Cz republic prices some much more reasonable.

No wonder we have always headed for France at least their taxes are done a progressive way, so 2 star campsites are 20 or 40 cents a night.
Quite a few German campsites quote for a large camping place, with space for a car and a huge tent. They quite often have a Wandern/Rad Kleine Zelt Platz rate too, which is a small patch of grass for a small tent and hopefully a tree or fence post to chain the bikes to.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
meejozzz

Post by meejozzz »

+1 for Archie’s Camping app.

We used this when we went touring around Düsseldorf for the TDF a few years ago. We just aimed for a place around 50-70 miles away, looked up Archie’s for potential spots then cross referenced with a quick look on the internet. Not that we ever got turned away from anywhere either. All of site owners were incredibly helpful and accommodating.