Recession, what Recession?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Dingdong

Re: Recession, what Recession?

Post by Dingdong »

Nearholmer wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 10:30pm Do you remember the miner’s strike?
Yes I do. My family was involved in mining throughout this period. I've heard all the history, first hand. Hence my interest in it. The police (bussed in from Metropolitan London and other areas) were using extreme measures in an attempt to smash the NUM. Scargill's only mistake was to do away with his 'flying pickets ' strategy, which was very successful, for negotiations.

Imo the economic, political and multiple crisis mode that will unfold over this winter has the same potential for explosive civil unrest. Like I said upthread, there are several groups just waiting in the wings for things to kick off (Just Stop Oil for instance, a very competent, well organised group)
Like the riots of 2010, it only takes one spark to light the whole drum. I think the chances of getting to the spring without serious civil disobedience, is less than 50/50..
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Dingdong wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 3:58pm
pete75 wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 2:24pm
Yes, it's a stretch, after all they look nothing like soldiers.

Ecole_de_gendarmerie-IMG_9188.jpg
Yes. It's quite an incredible stretch! That's their special terror response unit (GIGN), on parade for Remembrance Day. Your average police force Gendarmerie looks like this (they're probably on traffic duty, which is the core of their workload). They help old ladies with their shopping and such, and are considered a 'friendly' force. More like neighborhood watch. Like I said upthread their primary responsibility is to issue fines and report up the chain to the Police Nationale for more serious crime. They rarely arrest anyone.
The Gendarmerie are certainly not regarded as a friendly force by most French people. I think you're mistaking them for the Municipal Police. You're quite mistaken when you say they are not part of the French military.
http://www.fiep.org/member-forces/frenc ... ndarmerie/
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

While the rest of suffered the lockdowns and now the prospect of the worst recession since the 80's, Lady Michelle Mone trousers £29 million from a bent PPE deal.

Who do these people think they are. Prison too good for em...
mjr

Post by mjr »

Dingdong wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 2:24pm While the rest of suffered the lockdowns and now the prospect of the worst recession since the 80's, Lady Michelle Mone trousers £29 million from a bent PPE deal.

29 million nicker for the founder of Ultimo lingerie, surely? (Yes, I know it's not knicker...) Today's news is just that her lawyer's past claim (that the payout didn't go to her) seems to have been disproved.

How can Mr "Integrity and Accountability" Sunak let her keep the Conservative whip? It's all just words, isn't it?

Does anyone know how many more are still being investigated for corrupt covid deals? Any prospect of getting any money back to ease the pain of the recession?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Dingdong wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 2:24pm While the rest of suffered the lockdowns and now the prospect of the worst recession since the 80's, Lady Michelle Mone trousers £29 million from a bent PPE deal.

She was supported by one M. Gove as well.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

mjr wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 5:35pm

29 million nicker for the founder of Ultimo lingerie, surely? (Yes, I know it's not knicker...) Today's news is just that her lawyer's past claim (that the payout didn't go to her) seems to have been disproved.

How can Mr "Integrity and Accountability" Sunak let her keep the Conservative whip? It's all just words, isn't it?

Does anyone know how many more are still being investigated for corrupt covid deals? Any prospect of getting any money back to ease the pain of the recession?
Private Eye has carried quite a lot about this
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

I don't know, but even if the money is disbursed between her kids and her rather aged #husband/dad, £29 million is a sh*t load of dosh to syphon off from the public purse in the midst of the the worst pandemic to hit Britain since 1918

Obviously these people have no shame, norv any sense of propriety, never mind a sense of right and wrong. It's these kind of true crime stories that make the general public hopping mad, and the prospect of civil disobedience on a mass scale all the more likely.

The peasants are revolting! Hopefully on a screen near you, and soon.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I’m still trying to get my head round £29M.

It is such an immense sum that it’s hard to comprehend. It’s very roughly a whip round of 50p from every single person in the UK.
and her rather aged #husband/dad
He’s only six years older than she is, so it’s unlikely that he’s her dad.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Nearholmer wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 9:04pm I’m still trying to get my head round £29M.

It is such an immense sum that it’s hard to comprehend. It’s very roughly a whip round of 50p from every single person in the UK.
£29M was just her share of £65M known profit from the £203M deal. There may have been more.

The company appears to have been nothing more than a conduit for corrupt cash - it was not even registered when referred to the "VIP Lane".
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I would love to see a flow diagram for that £203M, showing how various portions of it turned into profit, and what amounts actually went into labour, materials, fuel, transport etc to make and deliver PPE.

My instinct is that the vast bulk of it went as profits to various wicket-rollers and middle-persons, and that the genuine costs of production and delivery were comparatively trivial.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Nearholmer wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 9:48pm I would love to see a flow diagram for that £203M, showing how various portions of it turned into profit, and what amounts actually went into labour, materials, fuel, transport etc to make and deliver PPE.

My instinct is that the vast bulk of it went as profits to various wicket-rollers and middle-persons, and that the genuine costs of production and delivery were comparatively trivial.
I would hazard a guess of £65M profit to the corrupt political contact in the UK, £65M to the corrupt political contact authorising export from China, £65M to the corrupt factory owner in China, £17.9M in assorted bribes to oil the wheels and £100k to manufacture the faulty goods.
ossie

Post by ossie »

I think we all knew this PPE thing would be a nice little earner for some. It was actually posted on here and elsewhere at the time

Additionally the widescale fraud perpetuated over furlough payments. A whole section of small businesses actually impacted the sports car market when this free money came available. Just the £5 billion mind.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Nearholmer wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 9:04pm I’m still trying to get my head round £29M.

and her rather aged #husband/dad
He’s only six years older than she is, so it’s unlikely that he’s her dad.
Michelle Mone and her *ahem, husband. Or dad...
Attachments
ce02a733fb80abd761f425afd887b829~2.jpg
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

She’s very well preserved (51), he isn’t (57).

TBH though, I’m far less interested in their ages than the sources of heir wealth.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Dingdong wrote: 23 Nov 2022, 9:16am
Nearholmer wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 10:30pm Do you remember the miner’s strike?
Yes I do. My family was involved in mining throughout this period. I've heard all the history, first hand. Hence my interest in it. The police (bussed in from Metropolitan London and other areas) were using extreme measures in an attempt to smash the NUM. Scargill's only mistake was to do away with his 'flying pickets ' strategy, which was very successful, for negotiations.

Imo the economic, political and multiple crisis mode that will unfold over this winter has the same potential for explosive civil unrest. Like I said upthread, there are several groups just waiting in the wings for things to kick off (Just Stop Oil for instance, a very competent, well organised group)
Like the riots of 2010, it only takes one spark to light the whole drum. I think the chances of getting to the spring without serious civil disobedience, is less than 50/50..
I believes the miner's strike was engineered by the Thatcher government and the city spivs in order to destroy the coal industry and make way for gas.
A stockpile of coal enabled the govenment to ride out the strike - unlike the hapless Ted Heath.
The dispute was about colliery closures - the government claimed (lied as it transpired) that four collieries were to be closed.
Scargill knew that over thirty collierys were in line for closure.

The tory government came into power with a campaign illustrated by a long queue of presumably unemployed persons with the slogan "Labour isn't working" - at the time there were a million unemployed - within the first term of the Thatcher government this had risen to three million as they weeded out the "sunset industries".
They changed the method of defining unemployment twenty seven times - eventually no one knew definitively how many unemployed there were.
I think it was Whtelaw who asked Thatcher early on in this campaign what would happen to the workers laid off.
She replied "they'll go on benefits"