LEJOG 2023 (via Lizard Point & Dunnet Head) final route help..

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
turborat

LEJOG 2023 (via Lizard Point & Dunnet Head) final route help..

Post by turborat »

Hi everyone,

So after making the decision to stay in Premier Inns/Travelodge's as much as we can (and finally getting all the accommodation booked!!), I've had to modify my original routes slightly to accommodate them all...

You guys have been so helpful up to now, but as I've had to revise the routes a fair bit (from the last advice I received on this forum), I wondered if anyone would mind going over my final routes below, just to make sure there aren't any parts I should avoid/modify (or add). As usual, I would really appreciate any advice anyone is willing to give as I'm looking to get the complete route finalised as soon as I can...

Day 1 - LE to St Austell - https://www.plotaroute.com/route/1827313?units=miles
Day 2 - St Austell to Tiverton - https://www.plotaroute.com/route/1845659?units=miles
Day 3 - Tiverton to Ross on Wye - https://www.plotaroute.com/route/1845735?units=miles
Day 4 - Ross on Wye to Nantwich - https://www.plotaroute.com/route/1846590?units=km
Day 5 - Nantwich to Burton in Kendal - https://www.plotaroute.com/route/1846604?units=km
Day 6 - Burton in Kendal to Lockerbie - https://www.plotaroute.com/route/1846613?units=km
Day 7 - Lockerbie to Stirling - https://www.plotaroute.com/route/1846621?units=miles
Day 8 - Stirling to Fort William - https://www.plotaroute.com/route/1858168?units=miles
Day 9 - Fort William to Inverness - https://www.plotaroute.com/route/1890701?units=miles
Day 10 - Inverness to Helmesdale - https://www.plotaroute.com/route/2078473?units=miles
Day 11 - Helmesdale to LOG - https://www.plotaroute.com/route/1889158?units=miles

Thanks again

TR
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: LEJOG 2023 (via Lizard Point & Dunnet Head) final route help..

Post by Mick F »

Hello. :D

Day one:
Think about going through Penzance town, rather than on the bypass. Nicer and more interesting.

Day two:
The A390 isn't a good cycling road via Liskeard.
After going through the "Tap Houses" West, Middle and East, turn off left to cross the A38 at Doublebois and head for St Cleer and Pensilva B3254 to Launceston to join the Old A30 via Lifton Down, Lifton, Lewdown and Bridestowe to join your route.

PS:
It's good that you are taking Rob's Passage from Crediton.
Rob S was a poster on here many years ago, who described that route after I had complained about the main road to Tiverton. Rob hasn't been on this forum for a long long time, but his route will live forever. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Day3 (Tiverton to Ross-on Wye)

Although it wouldn't be my choice, you seem happy enough to cycle on the A38 as far as Taunton, you then head north to Kingston St Mary and up into the Quantock Hills. Why not stay on the A38 all the way to Bridgewater, or even beyond? If you want quieter roads head east towards Creech St Michael and seek out the lanes to the east of the M5. North of Bridgewater your route meanders through Cossington, the B3141 through Woolavington is a more direct route to East Huntspill.

I've already already mentioned the Strawberry line (route 26) to Yatton, in a reply to your earlier thread, you could join it from your route at Winscombe and it would save you a few miles. The surface is good apart from a short off road section around the back of Sandford, easily avoided by going through the village. From Yatton follow the Avon Cycleway (route 26), rather than the B3133 through Clevedon. It will take you all the way to the Avonmouth bridge.

From Chepstow your route follows the Wye Valley (A466) to Brockweir, crosses the river and climbs up to St Briavels. You could use the recently opened Wye Valley Greenway between Chepstow and Tintern but do check if the Wireworks Bridge at Tintern is open (currently closed for maintenance) Alternatively cross the river at Chepstow on the old road bridge and follow the B4228 to St Briavels. I doubt that the B4228 saves anything in overall climbing but it avoids the steep climb up form Brockweir. Another option is to follow the A466 all the way to Monmouth and use the cycle track on the disused railway to Symonds Yat. Incidentally I see that your route goes through English Bicknor but a nice alternative is to fork left at Christchurch to Symonds Yat Rock and enjoy the panoramic views of the Wye valley from the viewpoints there. There's also a good cafe and picnic area there. Continue heading north from Symonds Yat and rejoin your route just beyond Goodrich.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Your route out of Taunton is up one of the steepest hills in the area. Nice ride when I want climbing but not something I’d choose if I wanted to get out easily.

From Taunton I would head out to the east, either by the canal path or through Ruishton. Get to Creech st Michael. Then go Ham, Knapp, North Curry, Burrow Bridge, Othery. Follow the a road north, then cut across the A39 to Shapwick. Go to Wedmore than Cheddar. Pick up the Strawberry line all the way to Yatton and then on back lanes to Clevedon. Pick up the Avon cycleway along the quiet lane under the motorway. This will take you all the way to the Avon bridge.

The day before. Honestly I wouldn’t bother going to Tiverton. From Thorverton go across under Silverton and on to the B3181. Don’t go through Brandnich but go almost to Killerton. Follow the b road up through Cullumpton and Willand. Go to Uffculme then Nicholashayne then Wellington. From Wellington the a38 is a bit of a pig. Go Nynehead, Bradford on Tone, Hele then into Taunton.
irc

Post by irc »

Fort William to Inverness - much more pleasant riding through the forests west of Loch Lochy. Part of the Great Glen Way.

https://explore.osmaps.com/route/551309 ... sCategory=

Mostly this sort of surface. Fine on 700x32 or bigger.
lochylochy.jpeg
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Day Three.
Stay on the A38 but go through Wellington town centre. Stay on the A38 through Taunton to Bridgwater. Continue on it right up to Gloucester. Flat and easy, then work you way through to Leominster.

I've done the Severn Bridge route once, but it's hilly and longer, so if I ever ride and End2End again (done it four times plus ridden Up North and back three times) I wouldn't even consider the Severn Bridge at all.
Mick F. Cornwall
turborat

Post by turborat »

Mick F wrote: 11 Nov 2022, 8:30pm Hello. :D

Day one:
Think about going through Penzance town, rather than on the bypass. Nicer and more interesting.

Day two:
The A390 isn't a good cycling road via Liskeard.
After going through the "Tap Houses" West, Middle and East, turn off left to cross the A38 at Doublebois and head for St Cleer and Pensilva B3254 to Launceston to join the Old A30 via Lifton Down, Lifton, Lewdown and Bridestowe to join your route.

PS:
It's good that you are taking Rob's Passage from Crediton.
Rob S was a poster on here many years ago, who described that route after I had complained about the main road to Tiverton. Rob hasn't been on this forum for a long long time, but his route will live forever. :D
Thanks for the heads up about the A390 and going though town, will adjust accordingly👍👍
turborat

Post by turborat »

Norman H wrote: 12 Nov 2022, 7:24pm Day3 (Tiverton to Ross-on Wye)

Although it wouldn't be my choice, you seem happy enough to cycle on the A38 as far as Taunton, you then head north to Kingston St Mary and up into the Quantock Hills. Why not stay on the A38 all the way to Bridgewater, or even beyond? If you want quieter roads head east towards Creech St Michael and seek out the lanes to the east of the M5. North of Bridgewater your route meanders through Cossington, the B3141 through Woolavington is a more direct route to East Huntspill.

I've already already mentioned the Strawberry line (route 26) to Yatton, in a reply to your earlier thread, you could join it from your route at Winscombe and it would save you a few miles. The surface is good apart from a short off road section around the back of Sandford, easily avoided by going through the village. From Yatton follow the Avon Cycleway (route 26), rather than the B3133 through Clevedon. It will take you all the way to the Avonmouth bridge.

From Chepstow your route follows the Wye Valley (A466) to Brockweir, crosses the river and climbs up to St Briavels. You could use the recently opened Wye Valley Greenway between Chepstow and Tintern but do check if the Wireworks Bridge at Tintern is open (currently closed for maintenance) Alternatively cross the river at Chepstow on the old road bridge and follow the B4228 to St Briavels. I doubt that the B4228 saves anything in overall climbing but it avoids the steep climb up form Brockweir. Another option is to follow the A466 all the way to Monmouth and use the cycle track on the disused railway to Symonds Yat. Incidentally I see that your route goes through English Bicknor but a nice alternative is to fork left at Christchurch to Symonds Yat Rock and enjoy the panoramic views of the Wye valley from the viewpoints there. There's also a good cafe and picnic area there. Continue heading north from Symonds Yat and rejoin your route just beyond Goodrich.
Thanks again for the detailed info👍👍Is the A38 ok to ride on or do you think avoiding it would be safer? I'll look into the Strawberry line, is the surface ok for road bikes (this is what we'll be on)?
turborat

Post by turborat »

honesty wrote: 12 Nov 2022, 9:30pm Your route out of Taunton is up one of the steepest hills in the area. Nice ride when I want climbing but not something I’d choose if I wanted to get out easily.

From Taunton I would head out to the east, either by the canal path or through Ruishton. Get to Creech st Michael. Then go Ham, Knapp, North Curry, Burrow Bridge, Othery. Follow the a road north, then cut across the A39 to Shapwick. Go to Wedmore than Cheddar. Pick up the Strawberry line all the way to Yatton and then on back lanes to Clevedon. Pick up the Avon cycleway along the quiet lane under the motorway. This will take you all the way to the Avon bridge.

The day before. Honestly I wouldn’t bother going to Tiverton. From Thorverton go across under Silverton and on to the B3181. Don’t go through Brandnich but go almost to Killerton. Follow the b road up through Cullumpton and Willand. Go to Uffculme then Nicholashayne then Wellington. From Wellington the a38 is a bit of a pig. Go Nynehead, Bradford on Tone, Hele then into Taunton.
Thanks for the advice, especially the tough climb out of Taunton.. We like big climbs but not when doing something like this, so I'll re-route as advised.

Unfortunately we have to go to Tiverton to take in the Premier Inn but appreciate the advice on that part👍
turborat

Post by turborat »

Mick F wrote: 13 Nov 2022, 8:04am Day Three.
Stay on the A38 but go through Wellington town centre. Stay on the A38 through Taunton to Bridgwater. Continue on it right up to Gloucester. Flat and easy, then work you way through to Leominster.

I've done the Severn Bridge route once, but it's hilly and longer, so if I ever ride and End2End again (done it four times plus ridden Up North and back three times) I wouldn't even consider the Severn Bridge at all.
👍👍

We only want to cross the bridge for the experience of cycling over it. If we ever do it again (which I doubt lol) then we wouldn't bother. Would it be ok to cycle over it in wind or should we consider a plan B route (do you have advice on this) just in case we need it on the day?
turborat

Post by turborat »

irc wrote: 12 Nov 2022, 9:59pm Fort William to Inverness - much more pleasant riding through the forests west of Loch Lochy. Part of the Great Glen Way.

https://explore.osmaps.com/route/551309 ... sCategory=

Mostly this sort of surface. Fine on 700x32 or bigger.

lochylochy.jpeg
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately a few riders will be on 25/28 max due to their bikes, so I'm not sure this would be best for those guys... 👍
turborat

Post by turborat »

So is this part of the A38 ok to ride in a group or would back roads work better?

Thanks
honesty

Post by honesty »

turborat wrote: 13 Nov 2022, 6:01pm
So is this part of the A38 ok to ride in a group or would back roads work better?

Thanks
I live in Taunton, and I don’t ride the A38.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Well ............ I wouldn't even consider NOT riding the A38. :D

I can only offer my advice from riding it many times on my way through. If you live in the area, you have different thoughts of course.

I was riding through Gunnislake village yesterday, and stopped off at the post office. As I walked my bike along the pavement, 10 riders - mabe more - came though heading up the hill.
The hill crosses the bridge from England into Cornwall at 60ft above sea level, and less than two miles later crests at 750ft.

You can't avoid the road from the bridge up to the village - 60ft to 200ft - but although you still have to get to 750ft, there are easier ways to get up there.

The thing is, it's all about efficiency.
Shorter/steeper/quicker/main roads - vs - longer/less steep/slower/minor roads.
Mick F. Cornwall
honesty

Post by honesty »

If you’re doing outside of rush hour, and a bigger group it’s ok. But it’s a busy nasty road and I prefer the back lanes for a quieter more relaxing ride.