EV owners to pay Tax.....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PedallingSquares

EV owners to pay Tax.....

Post by PedallingSquares »

Well,well,well we didn't see this coming did we :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... tfall.html
It's Dieselgate all over again.
PS sorry it's the Daily Fail but that's the link I followed elsewhere.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: EV owners to pay Tax.....

Post by Mick F »

The car we have now, and the last one too, are zero VED. Internal combustion engines too.
Lady down the road had a big Peugeot diesel estate and only pays £30 a year.

It's often been discussed about scrapping VED and putting the price of fuel up ......... trouble is, an EV can be charged from your domestic mains electricity .............. and that could be 100% solar, or even a generator driven by a water-wheel ............... so they will have to attract VED.
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

Taxes are usually levied on a going forward basis so current ( :lol: ) owners should remain exempt. Wait for the details on Thursday, but I think VED may well be levied on all new vehicles with a few exemptions like bicycles :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

So they should, they use the roads and arent particularly green either.

And, VED should be scrapped and the revenue lost gathered from a bigger tax on fuel. Thus, those who use the roads more, and those whose vehicles burn more fuel would pay more.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

al_yrpal wrote: 14 Nov 2022, 9:04am So they should, they use the roads and arent particularly green either.

And, VED should be scrapped and the revenue lost gathered from a bigger tax on fuel. Thus, those who use the roads more, and those whose vehicles burn more fuel would pay more.

Al
Well if it's a fuel based tax wouldn't EV's be exempt again?

I believe that there should be a tyre tax since micro particles from tyre scrub are a major source of pollution.
That goes for you cyclists as well - albeit to a lesser extent.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

It’s only right that (car) EV owners pay something that should be used towards the provision and repair of the roads that they travel along. Damage to roads and congestion are something that EV’s contribute to too and hence there is a strong case for them to pay something back. The average price of a new EV car is very high and for benefit in kind tax purposes they are treated very leniently, the users / owners can more than afford to pay road tax.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

ANTONISH wrote: 14 Nov 2022, 9:42am Well if it's a fuel based tax wouldn't EV's be exempt again?

I believe that there should be a tyre tax since micro particles from tyre scrub are a major source of pollution.
That goes for you cyclists as well - albeit to a lesser extent.
Simple - have a tax based on weight bands. Since EVs are heavier I expect the owners would moan. :lol:
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

EVs shouldnt be exempt IMO. They are mostly powered at the moment by burning fossil fuels which are also used in huge quantities making them.

By fuels I mean petrol and diesel.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mjr

Post by mjr »

al_yrpal wrote: 14 Nov 2022, 9:48am EVs shouldnt be exempt IMO. They are mostly powered at the moment by burning fossil fuels which are also used in huge quantities making them.

By fuels I mean petrol and diesel.
Aren't those hybrids rather than EVs?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Tyre tax would encourage people to have less tread and even bald tyres. It's bad enough even now!
You can't put it on fuel for two reasons.
Some folk cannot exist without using their cars - people in rural areas for instance.
The other, is the EV's don't use it.

VED is the only fair way I think, but I'd like to see it levied on the mileages between each MOT, as some folk do very few miles, and some folk commute for hours five or six days a week.

We seem to be doing only about 5,000miles a year - just checked with the last two MOTs - so if we paid VED, we would pay half of what someone else would pay doing 10,000miles a year.

Let's say £5 per 1,000miles. Would that be fair?
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

It's 10 y old and needs updating, but the best source that i know on options and numbers is:

"Fuel for thought: the what, why and how of motoring taxation":
https://ifs.org.uk/publications/fuel-th ... g-taxation

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Thats not a bad idea, but clocking....?

Doing about 5000 a year too and my new (12 year old) motor is doing 53 mpg on mixed length journeys. Filled it when I bought it on 5th October and still 250 miles to empty tank according to the dashboard display :D

Al
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Mick F wrote: 14 Nov 2022, 10:02am Tyre tax would encourage people to have less tread and even bald tyres. It's bad enough even now!
That would still be illegal and it would be an MOT fail - some people will always dodge paying VED and insurance plus ignoring the MOT fail.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Some people just dodge!
There's always a way to get round the rules.

Theoretically, we could drive without insurance, MOT, VED, or even a driving licence.
Who would know?

Stay off the major roads and keep your head down, and you could drive like that for years ............... and many do, I have no doubt.

Same as income tax and VAT. Loadsa people round here work for cash and never pay any tax.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

ANTONISH wrote: 14 Nov 2022, 9:42am
al_yrpal wrote: 14 Nov 2022, 9:04am So they should, they use the roads and arent particularly green either.

Al
Well if it's a fuel based tax wouldn't EV's be exempt again?
At present EV "fuel" is in effect being subsidised by the Gov. Energy Price Cap. So we are eventually all going to be paying towards people charging their EVs at the moment as we all have to pay back the Gov debt and interest caused by the "Energy Price Cap" (or whatever it's called).

Ian