Cleaning my bike on tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Boring_Username

Cleaning my bike on tour

Post by Boring_Username »

If I go on a 2 day bike trip and return with a muddy bike, I feel under an obligation to wash my bike before going on my next 2 day bike trip.

But if I were to go on a 14 day muddy bike trip, I very much doubt I would feel under an obligation to wash my bike 6 times while on tour, even if washing facilities were readily available.

Am I being illogical? Should I Learn to Stop Worrying and Love the Dirt?
Jdsk

Re: Cleaning my bike on tour

Post by Jdsk »

"Know thyself!"

: - )

You have to be comfortable with your decision. How about trying it both ways and seeing how you feel?

Jonathan
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I think there are practical issues about finding somewhere to clean your bike but also it’s a good thing to keep your chain etc clean.

The US trails can be good for having bike cleaning stations. Not so common in Europe but I’ve occasionally seen a hose set up at a trail head in the UK. I admit that I’m pretty lazy about that sort of thing but I did spend a couple of hours cleaning my bike before entering a B&B recently- didn’t want to embarrass myself by dripping mud all over the floor. I took a shortcut that was exceptionally muddy after a heavy night of rain. The routes I tend to do don’t usually cause an issue.

Click on the photo and look at the brakes!
Attachments
08447B1E-6EC7-4716-A639-89626901EA04.jpeg
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

It’s worth cleaning your drive train daily to save grinding it to expensive scrap.
Galactic

Post by Galactic »

I just use a squeezy water bottle to clean the chain and the brakes (if necessary). Everything else can wait until it rains :lol:
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Clean drivetrain - at least the chain - if it needs it after days of rain. Other than that, I don't even think of cleaning. It is quite nice to get home after a month on tour with a machine clearly showing the dust of travel.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

After 3 days on EV15, my Navy Blue bike looked Silver. Never seen so much fine dust - there were times I couldn't see the pedals.

Cleaned it under the shower at a city beech.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

On a short trip, unless something like MrsHJ's clogging occurred, i wouldn't do any cleaning. On longer trips of 2 or more weeks i will usually have at least one 'mini' service at which point the bike will usually get a wipe down/lube.

The 'badge of honour' both during and after a tour is of course a bike that doesn't look pristine.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Take an old pair of undercrackers,dip in puddle and remove surplus dit. Ditch pants.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I use dry lube on my touring bike, as it is easy to clean the chain. I give it a clean and re-lube the next morning about once a week, or more if it gets really grotty. Hoping to keep the Campagnolo cassette going for a few more years! I cycle-camp so it's probably a bit easier to find somewhere to do the cleaning, but I do make sure it is out of sight as people might think I was getting oil everywhere.
I also tour sometimes with my Brompton, and it did once end up in the shower at a German youth hostel after a cloudburst and lots of mud!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I’m no serious tourer, but I do tend to ride at least 50% off-road when I do go for a week-long trundle, sometimes getting very muddy if the weather is bad. Last year I picked one very wet week in July and about three days in was so plastered in mud that a guy jet-washing an excavator on a building-site kindly offered to do the bike and my legs, which I gratefully accepted.
ossie

Post by ossie »

Chain/ gearing only on tours up to a month...also looks less nickable looking like a bag of sh_t, even when drying my socks off the rear rack.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

It depends on the nature of the mud/dirt. Stuff with hard grit in it will soon grind down a chain and then your cogs and chainrings. Ditto your brake pads and rims/discs.

Some "muds" are best got orf reet quick. Yesterday I coated the lower bike in a thick coating of cowclap - not a grinder but certainly a stinker; perhaps also a rotter and likely a small cut infector. Off with it toot sweet!

Cugel the clean.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I rather like arriving back home with a grubby bike, clean ones look as if they haven't been anywhere, or done anything. I recall a couple of occasions I cleaned the bike, but I'm not sure why, just a whim I think.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Boring_Username wrote: 13 Nov 2022, 4:00pm If I go on a 2 day bike trip and return with a muddy bike, I feel under an obligation to wash my bike before going on my next 2 day bike trip.

But if I were to go on a 14 day muddy bike trip, I very much doubt I would feel under an obligation to wash my bike 6 times while on tour, even if washing facilities were readily available.

Am I being illogical? Should I Learn to Stop Worrying and Love the Dirt?
Unless I was using disc brakes, the only thing ever bothered with is keeping the chain clean and lubed on longer tours. So I carry an old tooth brush cut in two and a very small tin of oil. Works for me!