Can you add a road bike cassette to a MTB?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jupestar

Re: Can you add a road bike cassette to a MTB?

Post by Jupestar »

zenitb wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 8:42pm Ah OK.. so you think the 105 11 speed road series 11-34 cassette quoted by the OP has a narrower spline fit than the 11 speed 105 road series 11-28 that I have?
Yes (I believe) - although I've not tested it .

I believe the 34t cog will be tapered so it sits further inboard, as it sits higher the spokes are further away than at the 28t cog height so it can afford the space to taper.

Hence why the 34t cassette would have a narrower spline fit, but with the same spacing and cog width, and therefore need a spacer on the road Freehub.

Again not tested...
slowster

Post by slowster »

I think the 11-34 Shimano 105 and Ultegra level cassettes were originally non-series, although they are now listed as 105 and Ultegra series cassettes. They still have different model numbers from the other (wider) cassettes in those groupsets, e.g. CS-R7000 vs. CS-HG700, and Shimano's website clearly states the CS-HG700 will fit on 10 speed freehubs.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/ ... 00-11.html

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/ ... R7000.html
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

Jupestar wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 9:09pm
zenitb wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 8:42pm Ah OK.. so you think the 105 11 speed road series 11-34 cassette quoted by the OP has a narrower spline fit than the 11 speed 105 road series 11-28 that I have?
Yes (I believe) - although I've not tested it .

I believe the 34t cog will be tapered so it sits further inboard, as it sits higher the spokes are further away than at the 28t cog height so it can afford the space to taper.

Hence why the 34t cassette would have a narrower spline fit, but with the same spacing and cog width, and therefore need a spacer on the road Freehub.

Again not tested...
Yes it does look like you are correct on this Jupestar. The way Shimano get round the fact the two cassettes are different lengths is to include a spacer with the 11-34. So going back to the OPs post where he suggests buying a CS-HG700-11 cassette - this should come with the spacer..which he can then LEAVE OFF to make the cassette compatible with a narrower MTB hub spline. Someone like me with a Mavic 11 speed road hub on my road bike would leave the spacer on.

I screenshotted Brucey's post.
Screenshot_20221124-214259_Firefox.jpg
Here is a link to it viewtopic.php?t=137096

Incidentally this thread has made me realise that as long as I don't mind a bottom cog of 34 then I could ditch the horribly dished 11 speed hubs on my road bike and revert to less dished 10 speed hubs. That's got me thinking...
slowster

Post by slowster »

zenitb wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 9:49pm Incidentally this thread has made me realise that as long as I don't mind a bottom cog of 34 then I could ditch the horribly dished 11 speed hubs on my road bike and revert to less dished 10 speed hubs. That's got me thinking...
I have not yet tried it myself, but having read Brucey's various posts about shortening cassettes, I think it should be possible to fit an 11 speed cassette with 32t or smaller largest sprocket on an 8/9/10 speed freehub by removing the 1st and 2nd position sprockets (11t and 12t respectively), and fitting in their place a 1st position 12t sprocket*, together with a corresponding larger lockring and thin washer designed for a 1st position sprocket of 12t or more, plus whatever thickness of washer(s) might be needed given that the removal of one sprocket will reduce the cassette width by more than the ~2mm difference between 10 and 11 speed road freehubs. I presume the larger lockring and thin washer would not necessarily need to be those made specifically for 11 speed cassettes.

* https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cassettes/s ... y1y912100/