Hunt Wheels

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pedalsheep

Hunt Wheels

Post by pedalsheep »

Does anyone have any experience of Hunt wheels? I'm considering the 4Season All Road disc wheels and the price looks very appealing in the Black Friday sale. ( Intend to use my existing Shimano RX100 wheels on another bike). I weigh 60kg so not hard on wheels. Primarily for riding on road, a little touring with light camping kit and a very occasional venture onto something slightly rougher. I have had more than my fair share of punctures this year from small flints and thorns so the possibility of running tubeless is starting to appeal.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Cugel

Re: Hunt Wheels

Post by Cugel »

pedalsheep wrote: 18 Nov 2022, 2:31pm Does anyone have any experience of Hunt wheels? I'm considering the 4Season All Road disc wheels and the price looks very appealing in the Black Friday sale. ( Intend to use my existing Shimano RX100 wheels on another bike). I weigh 60kg so not hard on wheels. Primarily for riding on road, a little touring with light camping kit and a very occasional venture onto something slightly rougher. I have had more than my fair share of punctures this year from small flints and thorns so the possibility of running tubeless is starting to appeal.
Yes, I have a pair of those 4-Season wheels (that were called "gravel" before they adopted the wider role "all-road". I bought them some seven years ago I think, for about £350 at the time. They came with many spares - a 6-bolt to centre-lock disc adaptor, some spokes and 3 different axle fittings for: Q/R; bolt-through 12mm front & rear; and bolt through 15mm for the front as well. They included tubeless tape already wrapped around the rims and a set of tubeless valves. They also sent me, for no charge, a spare freehub when I couldn't get the first one to hold the cassette lock ring. (It turned out I was using the wrong lock-ring, though).

I shod them with my first tubeless tyres (Schwalbe G-One Speed 30mm) and rode them a few thousand kilometres on the winter bike until this year, when they were re-shod with 45mm G-One All-Round tubeless tyres for use in the new e-bike for winter, that has now done around 1200K. I find them fast but not so stiff that they transmit a huge amount of road-jab to the nether or to the palms.

I've not broken a spoke, had a bearing graunch or any other issue so far. I weight 80 kilos. I have bought a spare set of bearings for when those that came in the wheels eventually go. The ease of getting spares was a factor in buying them, along with the good price for what you get.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
cedzz

Post by cedzz »

I got a pair of 4Season All Road disc wheels XD a couple of months ago, Hunt kept me in the picture regarding my order, which arrived a couple of weeks earlier than expected, arrived very well packaged, no problem fitting Pirelli Cinturato Velo TLR Tubless Ready 35mm tyre with the tape already fitted and valves supplied.
boblo

Post by boblo »

I've got a pair with all the extras listed up there ^ tho not the 'free' extra freehub...

Mine have about 8k miles on them and they're still true. I use them both on road and on gravel and they get a bit of a battering. They also get used through the winter. I think I've changed the bearings in the front but not the back.

I've another pair of Hunt's but lighter ones. Happy with them and will probably buy again. Cue the naysayers; 'cheap Chinese wheels with additional branding/overpriced for what you get' etc. I've used their pre and post sales services and am glad they are onshore and they were ace to deal with. You would definitely get extra aggro buying direct from mainland or Taiwan.
Last edited by boblo on 18 Nov 2022, 5:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

I bought some for my wife to go on her summer bike, she absolutely can tell the difference even though the all up weight is only 0.62% lighter (wheels are 14% lighter the pair). Since she knows nothing of the theories about rotational mass this blind test to my mind carries some weight - see what I did there :wink:
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

They seem to have been p[opular for a few years ago and as good as anything in their price range. They were Kinlin rims and Novatec hubs. The Cycle Clinic were building the same thing cheaper.
I guess that there are stacks of similar wheels out there as all the parts will be far eastern made . No idea if they are assembled in the Uk and the dregree of hands on work involved. You could build something as nice cheaper yourself of course.
Gee

Post by Gee »

I have a pair of the Mason X Hunt ones.

Very good, 2.5 years in. Thousands of miles. Just had spoke to about a month ago and noticed cracks in rim.

Hunt we’re great. Wheel rebuilt and returned within a week and new 3 year warranty.

Overall, very good I think.
peetee

Post by peetee »

There has been chat online about quality control issues with Hunt wheels. The early offerings from them were excellent but (it’s been suggested) following an increase in their popularity production standards dropped.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Well I decided to go for them. Ordered yesterday, arrived today, certainly can't fault the service!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
pwa

Post by pwa »

pedalsheep wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 10:05pm Well I decided to go for them. Ordered yesterday, arrived today, certainly can't fault the service!
You might consider reviewing them after a bit of use. They look like good value, if they perform well. I did try to find something comparible at the same price or cheaper, and there isn't much out there that looks as good at that sort of price.
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

pedalsheep wrote: 18 Nov 2022, 2:31pm Does anyone have any experience of Hunt wheels? I'm considering the 4Season All Road disc wheels and the price looks very appealing in the Black Friday sale. ( Intend to use my existing Shimano RX100 wheels on another bike). I weigh 60kg so not hard on wheels. Primarily for riding on road, a little touring with light camping kit and a very occasional venture onto something slightly rougher. I have had more than my fair share of punctures this year from small flints and thorns so the possibility of running tubeless is starting to appeal.
I have a pair of those exact wheels. I bought mine second-hand from a very popular auctioning site for a good price. Have had them around 6 months and they've been very good. The only let down was using some Maxxis tyres on them, which subsequently picked up a slice and struggled to seal for several outings which resulted in a few flat tyres and, presumably resultantly, a ding to the rim.

Since then, I've had to bodge a repair which appears to be holding up (essentially straightening out the ding and ensuring there's a rim channel for a bead to sit in. I did find, pre-ding, that the Panaracer tyres hold a super strong bead when set up tubeless, and I've since gone back to Panaracers which are doing excellently.

I do, admittedly, ride my wheels very hard, and weigh around 63kg.

(Just noticed you did go for the purchase, nice one!)
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Benz3ne wrote: 23 Nov 2022, 9:02am
I have a pair of those exact wheels. I bought mine second-hand from a very popular auctioning site for a good price. Have had them around 6 months and they've been very good. The only let down was using some Maxxis tyres on them, which subsequently picked up a slice and struggled to seal for several outings which resulted in a few flat tyres and, presumably resultantly, a ding to the rim.

Since then, I've had to bodge a repair which appears to be holding up (essentially straightening out the ding and ensuring there's a rim channel for a bead to sit in. I did find, pre-ding, that the Panaracer tyres hold a super strong bead when set up tubeless, and I've since gone back to Panaracers which are doing excellently.

Thanks, that's good to know. Which Panaracer tyres are you using? That's the next subject to ponder, what tyres to go for! :D
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

pedalsheep wrote: 23 Nov 2022, 1:30pm
Benz3ne wrote: 23 Nov 2022, 9:02am

Thanks, that's good to know. Which Panaracer tyres are you using? That's the next subject to ponder, what tyres to go for! :D
I currently have the EXT's in 33mm guise, but have previously owned the SK's in 35mm (very nice all-round tyre) and SS in 40mm (a little too wide for my frame unfortunately but a fantastic mostly-road tyre).
Andy Stow

Post by Andy Stow »

I bought the Adventure wheelset (disc + SON dynamo) just before the pandemic shutdowns started. It's been great. I tightened a few spokes at one point, but the ticking I was chasing turned out to be elsewhere, so probably not needed.

I've put over 12000 miles on them including on some pretty rough gravel, and loaded tours.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

boblo wrote: 18 Nov 2022, 5:21pm I've another pair of Hunt's but lighter ones. Happy with them and will probably buy again. Cue the naysayers; 'cheap Chinese wheels with additional branding/overpriced for what you get' etc. I've used their pre and post sales services and am glad they are onshore and they were ace to deal with. You would definitely get extra aggro buying direct from mainland or Taiwan.
Similar experience here - I haven't done billions of miles on mine, but I've done all my CX races on them.

It was the customer service that sold me; I phoned them up ( no call-centre cr*p) for advice on which tyres to have fitted, stuff like that, and they just came across very well. Totally worth a few extra quid, others may differ - it's not illegal to build your own wheels if you want!