Hunt Wheels

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mattheus

Re: Hunt Wheels

Post by mattheus »

mattsccm wrote: 18 Nov 2022, 5:38pm They seem to have been p[opular for a few years ago and as good as anything in their price range. They were Kinlin rims and Novatec hubs. The Cycle Clinic were building the same thing cheaper.
I guess that there are stacks of similar wheels out there as all the parts will be far eastern made . No idea if they are assembled in the Uk and the dregree of hands on work involved. You could build something as nice cheaper yourself of course.
I was just browsing their website, found this:
All our wheels are built and finished by hand, inclusive of a full quality control inspection. Each build is signed off personally by the builder and the control card is included in the box with your order. We stand by the level of craftsmanship in every wheel, so much so that we offer both a 60-Day Ride & Return option, as well as a full 3-year warranty.
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

I bought a similar modern type wheelset from just riding along. They have been great, stayed true and are stong.

Compared to the wheels that they replaced (open pro / 105 hubs / DB stainless spokes) they are significantly lighter but I have noticed a downside. Using the same tyres at the same pressure, the ride feels more harsh on the JRA's. I guess that's because a combination of stiff rims and very high spoke tension.
Lynskey Peloton, Ron Cooper, Bates BAR, Yates Expedition, Dawes Sardar, Dawes Edge, Pashley Parabike, Dawes Clubman
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

oaklec wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 8:30pm I bought a similar modern type wheelset from just riding along. They have been great, stayed true and are stong.

Compared to the wheels that they replaced (open pro / 105 hubs / DB stainless spokes) they are significantly lighter but I have noticed a downside. Using the same tyres at the same pressure, the ride feels more harsh on the JRA's. I guess that's because a combination of stiff rims and very high spoke tension.
Those factors & the probable use of radial spokes.

However, you can reduce the discomforting wheel-stiffness effects on your person by employing fatter tyres with supple sidewalls at lower pressures, if you can get them through your frame. The stiffer wheels and better tyres can combine to give more comfort yet suffer less energy losses.

Cugel
Last edited by Cugel on 13 Dec 2022, 10:29am, edited 1 time in total.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

Absolutely except bigger tyres won't fit. The bike is a lynskey peloton with vittoria open pave tyres and latex tubes. Going tubeless would help me as lower pressure could be used.

It was just a back to back observation rather than a criticism of the new wheels.
Lynskey Peloton, Ron Cooper, Bates BAR, Yates Expedition, Dawes Sardar, Dawes Edge, Pashley Parabike, Dawes Clubman