Decided to install mudguards.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
LancsGirl

Re: Decided to install mudguards.

Post by LancsGirl »

I fitted SKS Chromoplastics, after some helpful advice here:

viewtopic.php?t=150175

On the front I attached the stays to the low rider holes on the fork. This required a bit of stay bending, but I was pleased with the end result. I think it's made the front guard very stable, as the stays are shorter. And the theory is that that attachment reduces the possibility of guard fold-up resulting in an over-the-bars flight. Not quite sure why that is, but I'll take other people's word for it - I don't quite understand the geometry behind the theory.

I cut the stays with a pair of bolt croppers I bought for the purpose. Yes, the spare end flies off across the room, probably best to wear some sort of eye protection. I then rounded the lacerating cut end with a file, to produce a dome end, which I then smoothed with emery board. And I also used the plastic protective thingies. Over the top perhaps, but you never know when that plastic thing might fail (especially if a cut end has been forced into it), and it is a simple thing to do at time of installation. It also meant the cut end went into the plastic protector very smoothly.

In terms of gap/length/flap it's a mixed blessing. A long flap/mudguard keeps the water off, but surely increases the chance of something getting caught and thrown up into the guard? I suppose two sets of mudguards, long and short, for winter and summer would be one way, but is more work. Also, it's not like it never rains in the summer in the UK, is it?
freiston

Post by freiston »

LancsGirl wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 2:42pm . . . In terms of gap/length/flap it's a mixed blessing. A long flap/mudguard keeps the water off, but surely increases the chance of something getting caught and thrown up into the guard? I suppose two sets of mudguards, long and short, for winter and summer would be one way, but is more work. Also, it's not like it never rains in the summer in the UK, is it?
My Longboard front guard extended down and around the tyre further/lower than the usual amount and had the SKS long mudflap on - not that long but longer than the regular. It was shaped and did act like a scoop for autumn leaves. It also kept catching on kerbs and other things and eventually caused splitting and snapping of the plastic guard around the lower stay bridge. I've replaced it with a long wide flap cut from an A4 sheet of 2mm nitrile rubber. Altogether a much more satisfactory solution that doesn't get caught or catch things - it's flexible enough to be just knocked out of the way but heavy enough to do it's job.

Please excuse the poor photo - not sure how all that muck got where it is.
IMG_5702.JPG
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
531colin

Post by 531colin »

LancsGirl wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 2:29pm
531colin wrote: 21 Nov 2022, 12:05pm
So far, I have found the SKS breakaways to be 100% at preventing this happening....the breakaways release with a considerable clatter and almost all the time whatever got stuck in the first place drops out never to be found....I have had an exception once (off road) when a stick got caught in the spokes and the guard folded up before the stays released; the guard came up alongside the down tube and I could only steer one way, and as I was on grazing land I went round in a circle until I fell off ....I suppose if you had the presence of mind (or panic) you could force the steering. Other than that time, I just put the breakaways back and carry on....I guess they release maybe once a year, on tracks.
My emphasis.

Sorry to sound like a pedant, but with respect, that's not 100% then, is it?

You've remembered the single exception, as most of us would. How many times have they worked, as intended? It would be interesting to know the proportion.
Working perfectly I don't know....more than 10 times. Probably about annually now, I have moved house and the local shooting estate keeps some very good bridleways, so if I get out for an hour I'm off-road a bit, and I often return that way from a longer ride.

The exception? more than 10 years ago, at a guess, I'll explain it to the best of my recollection.... Off road, I picked up a stick in the front wheel; my recollection is a long stick and I thought it was in the spokes. The front guard folded up and came up alongside the downtube, robbing me of steering in one direction. (at least the bit of guard between fork crown and top set of stays folded, I can't be certain if the bottom bit folded.... I think not). I think the releases did come out, but presumably after the guard folded. The guard definitely didn't all concertina and jam under the fork crown locking the wheel.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

freiston wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 4:17pm
LancsGirl wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 2:42pm . . . In terms of gap/length/flap it's a mixed blessing. A long flap/mudguard keeps the water off, but surely increases the chance of something getting caught and thrown up into the guard? I suppose two sets of mudguards, long and short, for winter and summer would be one way, but is more work. Also, it's not like it never rains in the summer in the UK, is it?
My Longboard front guard extended down and around the tyre further/lower than the usual amount and had the SKS long mudflap on - not that long but longer than the regular. It was shaped and did act like a scoop for autumn leaves. It also kept catching on kerbs and other things and eventually caused splitting and snapping of the plastic guard around the lower stay bridge. I've replaced it with a long wide flap cut from an A4 sheet of 2mm nitrile rubber. Altogether a much more satisfactory solution that doesn't get caught or catch things - it's flexible enough to be just knocked out of the way but heavy enough to do it's job.

Please excuse the poor photo - not sure how all that muck got where it is.
IMG_5702.JPG
I've noticed similar. I think it's bits of grit and mud running down inside the mudguards then seeping through the gap between guards and flap.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 7:42pm I've noticed similar. I think it's bits of grit and mud running down inside the mudguards then seeping through the gap between guards and flap.
Yes. I soon realised this after my first attempt at a homemade mudflap, which I had mounted inside the 'guard - just like the under-sized flap which came with the 'guards. I now mount flaps outside, which is less messy.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
freiston

Post by freiston »

My home-made mudflap is mounted on the outside! I used a section of the bit of my Longboard that snapped off to fix the new flap onto the bottom of the remaining mudguard - the rubber flap is sandwiched between the two.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Finally got round to finishing this..

Installed smaller tyres. 28 with a slick tread vs the 32 treaded I had on.

Took off the riveted L bracket which was not allowing me to get it high enough in the fork. Used the rear clip which allowed me it to sit right up into the fork. Also allowed me to set the guard a bit further back which minimised the front lean to the driveside.

With the smaller tyres was able to run a flat head bolt to connect the rear guard into the seat stay bridge. This mean I could reuse the clip on the front..

The stays I trimmed with a grinder and capped. I did have look at the draper tool but decided it would be too much like hard work.

Its not perfect, I'd rather have a bit more grip on the tyres for the autumn leaves, also means I can't take a little off road section I sometimes do. Also the front rim is 20mm with a 28 tyre... Rear is 17mm. But it's as good as I can get.

Spaced the front to avoid the brake caliper.

Reckon the clearance between the tyre and mudguard on the front fork is about 8mm. That's the closest it gets. Measured using Colin's trick of washers tapped on the tyre.

Will probably investigate some mudflaps at some point.
PXL_20221126_102055196.jpg
PXL_20221126_102044189.jpg
PXL_20221126_102026038.jpg
PXL_20221126_102021675.jpg
PXL_20221126_102008215.jpg
PH

Post by PH »

That's a very neat job. As I expected there isn't the room under the fork crown for anything much wider, I can't see how a different set of full guards is going to add anything.
What a shame some designers and manufacturers do this, they could easily have given a bit more clearance with no disadvantages, yet they've stuck with the same dimensions that used to be imposed by road rim brakes.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Well done -- not much room for mudguards on that thing. Well worth the effort -- keeps all that mud off the rest of the bike and you.
I am here. Where are you?
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Cowsham wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 10:58pm Well done -- not much room for mudguards on that thing. Well worth the effort -- keeps all that mud off the rest of the bike and you.
Not much room at all, actually a bit disappointed by the clearance. I looked up the original. Looks like it came with a split type mudguard which fitted either side of the fork.

Also found some other forums seems the most someone had got on is 32mm slicks, but noting it was tight . Which I can believe.

I have the plug as well - which is a road bike frame that would take them easily, but it wouldn't take the IGH. And doesn't get taken out in the rain..
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jupestar wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 6:53am
Cowsham wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 10:58pm Well done -- not much room for mudguards on that thing. Well worth the effort -- keeps all that mud off the rest of the bike and you.
Not much room at all, actually a bit disappointed by the clearance. I looked up the original. Looks like it came with a split type mudguard which fitted either side of the fork.

Also found some other forums seems the most someone had got on is 32mm slicks, but noting it was tight . Which I can believe.

I have the plug as well - which is a road bike frame that would take them easily, but it wouldn't take the IGH. And doesn't get taken out in the rain..
The only thing is those 28mm slicks you put on can be tricky in the winter -- I slipped off a couple of times on slicks in winter -- no real damage to me or bike fortunately.
I am here. Where are you?