Sturmey Archer AWC

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
3speednut

Sturmey Archer AWC

Post by 3speednut »

I have acquired a Sturmey AWC 2 hub and want to service it before I build it up in a wheel I think it dates from 2008, I've serviced and rebuilt many older pre no intermediate gear hubs but not done a no intermediate gear one or one with coaster brake. Presumably it will need high temperature grease on the coaster side can anyone give any other tips I might need to service this.
3speednut

Re: Sturmey Archer AWC

Post by 3speednut »

Having now pulled it apart and serviced and found it to be as new all the grease still in the bearings and brake mechanism and looking clear/unused but slightly dried up so replaced it with new, no wear and mirror shiny bearing surfaces so like new.
Also quite impressed with the machining /build quality of the internal components , it's been built into a wheel at sometime but I received it as just a hub.
So just need to build it up in to a wheel now .
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

I've only done an SRC3, which is a later hub but does the same thing.

I used three types of grease:

1. The SA IGH grease (brown almost-runny stuff) for the internals except for the coaster brake
2. Ceratec grease for the coaster brake
3. Normal bearing grease for the ball races

One issue with coaster brakes is that all brake wear debris stays in the hub, so a regular full stripdown and clean is important. I did it every 2 years, which was about 5,000 miles.

Bearing adjustment is about reducing free play to infinitesmal. Don't try to get the hub to spin freely - it can't. Coaster brakes need a drag spring, or the brake cone will spin uselessly instead of shooting to the left when you back-pedal. The drag is irrelevant when riding but quite noticeable in a bare hub or wheel.
3speednut

Post by 3speednut »

Interesting and informative information, not sure what ceratec grease is if I've spelt it right, is it a high temp grease.
Thanks for the reply.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

3speednut wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 4:12pm Interesting and informative information, not sure what ceratec grease is if I've spelt it right, is it a high temp grease.
Thanks for the reply.
Ceratec grease:
https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/pagid-ce ... -526770250
Other brands are available.
:)
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

It's a non-metallic thick grease with a melting point of over 1000 deg C. It works well on coaster shoes.
3speednut

Post by 3speednut »

Excellent, thanks for the information and link.