Starmer talking about immigration policy

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Starmer talking about immigration policy

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 11:45am If you are an avowed lefty, listen to the BBC and get other news from the Guardian you risk getting a jaundiced view....

https://www.briefingsforbritain.co.uk/w ... k-economy/

Al
Oh dear,oh very dear! :lol: :lol: :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

reohn2 wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 12:07pm
al_yrpal wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 11:45am If you are an avowed lefty, listen to the BBC and get other news from the Guardian you risk getting a jaundiced view....

https://www.briefingsforbritain.co.uk/w ... k-economy/

Al
Oh dear,oh very dear! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Briefings for Britain" does have a rather Orwellian ring to it.

Perhaps "Gammons against reality" might be a better moniker.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I'll post this so Al can have a watch(if that is he can stomach it),16minutes of Mick Lynch talking perfect sense:- https://youtu.be/gPSez6Yz6iw
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Lol, the EU gravy train has been derailed not least by accurate statistics and Remainer falsehoods debunked. Lap it up!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 12:14pm Lol, the EU gravy train has been derailed not least by accurate statistics and Remainer falsehoods debunked. Lap it up!

Al
Perhaps you could inform us all about how the UK has become everso much more prosperous post Brexit?
W H Auden
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

al_yrpal wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 12:14pm Lol, the EU gravy train has been derailed not least by accurate statistics and Remainer falsehoods debunked. Lap it up!

Al
Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance.

Still at stage one.

Anger only when it affects people personally I think.

I imagine there's a fair bit of anger in Grimsby.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Yes, Remainer constant anger is embarrasing. You cant refute the official statistics so attack the authors. Its a failed strategy. :lol: Lets hear your detailed analysis of the facts in the article. You lost, just get over it and move on.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

The immigration info is here, with the background reasons as to why the year that it covers was an exceptional one (the big factors were students returning to study in the UK having had to study remotely during the pandemic, and people fleeing from the war in Ukraine):
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... ain-points

As regards why the NHS is struggling, clearly multiple reasons, and more people means more minor ailments and demand on GPs, but unless all the new arrivals are pensioners, which they very definitely aren’t, the much, much more important impact on the NHS is demographic change, an aging population …… there are more oldsters than there used to be, and more to come as the postwar generation (b1945-65) moves down the conveyor belt.

We really make much bigger demands on the NHS once we get past c60yo, and we are ruddy expensive to care for.
6559F814-D4D0-4396-9DCF-1385C9C8638E.jpeg

So, people emigrating from youth to dotage is a far bigger issue for the NHS in the next few years than is people emigrating from elsewhere to the UK (especially given that a good proportion of those coming from elsewhere come to staff the NHS!).
Last edited by Nearholmer on 24 Nov 2022, 1:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
ossie

Post by ossie »

277,000 coming to study or resuming their studies post covid is a welcome boost to the economy. 170,000 from Ukraine was unforeseeable but they are welcome as are the 76000 under the Hong Kong resettlement scheme .Naturally the press and others will dress this up as a failed immigration policy but clearly this won't continue long term.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 11:42am
Carlton green wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 10:25am
The experience of my children’s generation is that Medicine is next too impossibly hard to get into at both undergraduate and post graduate level, that and that there is significant discrimination against then / in favour of ‘minority groups’.
First of all, you speak for yourself, not an entire generation.

[moderated]

Thirdly, my own experience is absolutely different; that the process for getting into medicine requires contacts, time and cash only available to a very privileged minority. Notably those in private education.
Ah, as I suspected all along, you’re a posh boy with loads of money and contacts everywhere? Sorry to have troubled you :D
Last edited by Carlton green on 24 Nov 2022, 1:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Carlton green wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 1:28pm
roubaixtuesday wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 11:42am
Carlton green wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 10:25am
The experience of my children’s generation is that Medicine is next too impossibly hard to get into at both undergraduate and post graduate level, that and that there is significant discrimination against then / in favour of ‘minority groups’.
First of all, you speak for yourself, not an entire generation.

[moderated]

Thirdly, my own experience is absolutely different; that the process for getting into medicine requires contacts, time and cash only available to a very privileged minority. Notably those in private education.
Ah, as I suspected all along, you’re a posh boy with loads of money and contacts everywhere. Sorry to have troubled you :D
Quite the opposite. I've seen posh boys and girls with well connected parents ease their way through the system.

I've not seen any evidence of "minorities" being privileged, as you claim.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

ossie wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 1:24pm 277,000 coming to study or resuming their studies post covid is a welcome boost to the economy. 170,000 from Ukraine was unforeseeable but they are welcome as are the 76000 under the Hong Kong resettlement scheme .Naturally the press and others will dress this up as a failed immigration policy but clearly this won't continue long term.
To be fair, I think the main people claiming that immigration policy has failed are the people who've been running it for the last 12 years.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 1:35pm

… I've seen posh boys and girls with well connected parents ease their way through the system.

The really well connected will defeat most systems and, to be factual, young people turned out of top level private schools are (as you might reasonably expect for the fees) very often very able people in comparison to their state system piers. Of course the top private schools know how to work the system too and hence they are better placed to overcome discrimination.

The young folk that I know have told me of a selection system that is systematically biased against them and in favour of minority groups (affirmative action). Because one person sees no evidence does not necessarily mean that something doesn’t happen. Are those young people snowflakes? I wouldn’t advise asking as them as the response given would be deservedly unpleasant.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Any fule kno that a good public skool education is a great advantage in life. And, if you were a boarder even more so.
A grammar skool is the next best thing.
Unfair as it may seem its sadly a fact.

Al
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Carlton green wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 2:01pm
roubaixtuesday wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 1:35pm

… I've seen posh boys and girls with well connected parents ease their way through the system.

The really well connected will defeat most systems and, to be factual, young people turned out of top level private schools are (as you might reasonably expect for the fees) very often very able people in comparison to their state system piers. Of course the top private schools know how to work the system too and hence they are better placed to overcome discrimination.

The young folk that I know have told me of a selection system that is systematically biased against them and in favour of minority groups (affirmative action). Because one person sees no evidence does not necessarily mean that something doesn’t happen. Are those young people snowflakes? I wouldn’t advise asking as them as the response given would be deservedly unpleasant.
So, you think that people from private schools (not minorities) are advantaged by the system (we have common experience), yet simultaneously minorities are also advantaged (we have different experience)

The [moderated] remark was tongue in cheek. I hoped the emoji made that clear.

In case you're interested

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2608 ... report.pdf