grufty

SUVs

Post by grufty »

Article in the Guardian by a pedestrian survivor

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... -by-an-suv
Stradageek

Re: SUVs

Post by Stradageek »

During Josie Dew's tour of Devon she bemoaned the surfeit of 'Upwardly mobile. downshifting yuppies, with 4x4's and matching Labradors' clogging the tiny Devon lanes and decided that SUV stood for 'Stupendously Unnecessary Vehicle'.

IMO there is no possible justification for owning one.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I simply don't understand a society that thinks it's OK to drive down most roads in a car that doesn't fit into the road markings.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

There is now a demand for electrically powered SUV's - thus one can show green credentials while still being a menace to the more vulnerable.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

simonineaston wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 8:50am I simply don't understand a society that thinks it's OK to drive down most roads in a car that doesn't fit into the road markings.
Lots of places round here with a sign stating a width limit of 6ft except for access.
Most CARS are over 6ft wide, including our 2014 Yaris.

Just measured it.
80" wide .................. 6ft 6ins.

This is just three of them.
Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 10.48.10.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 10.49.21.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 10.47.18.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

simonineaston wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 8:50am I simply don't understand a society that thinks it's OK to drive down most roads in a car that doesn't fit into the road markings.
Advertising.
Political kowtowing to the various motoring lobbies, from manufacturer's to those of several ilks and tittles of road-loon.
Filums and tele that portray driving as macho thrusting in a large tin merkin, which ignores any and all risks, especially to others.
Car size as an indicator of status.
Drivers using their car as a substitute for lack of fitness, strength or attraction in their person. (Car as superhero costume).
Etc..

In short, the car as an emblem of power, status and strength for those that don't actually have any. Even those that do may feel an insatiable need for more and so purchase their pedestrian-mangler.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Mick F wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 10:50am
Lots of places round here with a sign stating a width limit of 6ft except for access.
Most CARS are over 6ft wide, including our 2014 Yaris.

Just measured it.
80" wide .................. 6ft 6ins.

This is just three of them.Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 10.48.10.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 10.49.21.pngScreen Shot 2022-11-22 at 10.47.18.png
They should do what they do with bridge heights, make a point that is exactly that width/height. Catches wagon drivers out daily
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

It's not just 4x4s that are the problem.
Mini Generations.jpg
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

My first car was a (proper) mini. I don't ever recall thinking to myself, "You know what - this blinkin' thing is just too small..."!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

Stupid Useless Vehicle.
Pointless marketing dream that the driving public seem to have fallen for.The smaller ones are particularly pointless.You can't even get a family's weekly shopping in the boot of most of them.
It's bad enough being force fed EVs, being force fed ESUVs is a double kick in the danglies :roll:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Around where I live there are loads of single track lanes and narrow two way roads and I'm continually reflecting how much harder it is to drive an SUV around the area. The single track lanes with an SUV and often the passing places are too small whilst the narrower 2 way roads are fine for two small hatch backs but an SUV and anything and both cars are needing to find a passing place. So much harder to drive an SUV around and for what benefit? (apart from spending vastly more of fuel).

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 1:33pm Around where I live there are loads of single track lanes and narrow two way roads and I'm continually reflecting how much harder it is to drive an SUV around the area. The single track lanes with an SUV and often the passing places are too small whilst the narrower 2 way roads are fine for two small hatch backs but an SUV and anything and both cars are needing to find a passing place. So much harder to drive an SUV around and for what benefit? (apart from spending vastly more of fuel).

Ian
Here's a thing. We have narrow lanes, we have narrow, potholed lanes, and we have pretty aggressive drivers. My wife isn't the most confident driver, nor, in fact is she the most competent*, buy she's careful. She wants a car that's narrow, capable of taking to the verge when she's bullied by a car coming towards her, as well as coping with the day-to-day, plus the ability to navigate unsalted roads in winter.
We run a Volvo XC70, which is essentially a jacked-up estate, as a result, shod with All Season tyres. I can't imagine our wanting anything more, nor needing it - but it's akin to an SUV, I guess?

*True this - I won't give chapter and verse, but incidents are not unknown.
hemo

Post by hemo »

SUV , truckz etc ,etc = intimidation to other road users.
My Mrs used to own a R5 & then a Gen1 clio, now has a latest clio . It is some 40/50% larger then the original.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

ANTONISH wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 10:18am There is now a demand for electrically powered SUV's - thus one can show green credentials while still being a menace to the more vulnerable.
Have seen a couple of all the new Landrover Defenders recently that appear to be steam driven

seriously, a very strong smell of deisel, must not have been running on all cylinders - could taste it in the air for a good mile.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

simonineaston wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 1:09pm My first car was a (proper) mini. I don't ever recall thinking to myself, "You know what - this blinkin' thing is just too small..."!
We did after we had our first child. Going on holiday with baby clobber was a challenge.
Richard M
Cardiff