Suitable e bike

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
RC

Suitable e bike

Post by RC »

Hi all,
Thinking of getting an e bike in the New Year. No idea what I need, and all very confusing. This will be mainly for utility/commuting across a very hilly end of the Peak District. The other bit of info is I'm recovering from a significant knee injury. I usually ride an audax style bike.

There seems to be two broad options.
1. Less torque/smaller battery. Similar to an Audax? A bit lighter, aerodynamic etc. But concern about battery life power to get up my 15% hill...but aesthetically pleasing. Ribble, Orbea road gravel type bike.

2. High torque big battery, something like the Giant Fast Road (the one I'm thinking of is flat bar but has a rack, lights, etc included)

I would need to remove battery for charging, rather than bring the bike into the house to charge...

Has anyone any experience of these type of bikes for this type of commute? Battery life, oomph factor up hills?

Thanks for any advice
yakdiver

Re: Suitable e bike

Post by yakdiver »

What every you get make sure you can get a replacement battery
peterb

Post by peterb »

If you need to remove the battery to charge it indoors that rules out Mahle X** equipped e-road/gravel style bikes - Ribble, Orbea, etc, as the batteries are housed in the down-tube and removing them is a major undertaking.
RC

Post by RC »

Definitely need a battery that can be removed for charging...so that simplifies the selection process quite a bit.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

I and 3 other people I'm aware of, here and elsewhere are pleased with the Fazua motored Boardman 8.9E and Vitus E Substance.

The battery is easily removable. The Boardman comes in a flat bar version - with controller on the handlebars, as opposed to on the top tube, which I've not tried but seemed suboptimal - but perhaps easily adapted to?

I have the Boardman HYB 8.9E and because its gearing was was too high for my needs (live in the mountains of Snowdonia), I changed the 44! tooth single front chainring, for a 38. Mudguards fitted (happily with plenty of clearance with 35mm tyres) and rear rack fitted. 4 Months on and I'm still pleased.

The Fazua motor is worth at least 2 or if not 3 gears going uphill - in fact, it's only when I tend to use the e-assist (unless into a headwind of which we have many it seems). Can't compare it to hub driven motors, cos I just dived into this one unseen and untested :roll:

After 50+ years of cycling with 170mm cranks, I thought I'd hate the 175mm as fitted - but seem to have adapted with no adverse issues.

I have also fitted the cheapest Sigma ROX computer which connects with the Fazua via Bluetooth and displays battery level in percentages, as opposed to the Fazua BX handlebar mounted controller, which has 5 LED lights and therefore only 20% levels. Mainly because my nature needed to know how to gauge the crucial last 5th of battery power :roll:

Happy to answer any specific questions - but can only describe my personal experience, which so far, has been very positive.

We shall see eventually how that pans out of course
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
RC

Post by RC »

Thanks deliquium,
What's the range like with your bike? My commute is basically a triangle, long slog upwards then a cruise down (and reversed on the way back). Very little flat ground. Total about 25 miles. I would be leaning quite heavily on the assist at first as I recover fitness, but this may ease off a bit after a while
stodd

Post by stodd »

Is that 25 miles return (12.5 each way)? 50 miles with those hills would be a challenge for pretty much all ebikes.
Bosch range assistant gives a good idea of what to expect even for non-Bosch bikes.
https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant

It's good the long slog is at the start. There is a significant difference between what a battery can deliver freshly charged and what it can deliver when nearing the end of its capacity. (Same for people?) When you say 'cruise down' for the second part of the out ride does that mean not too steep up again in the evening?

I've no experience with the Fazua, but it does seem to be well appreciated by people for whom it is appropriate. You summarised very well in your first post the difference between that and the heavier more powerful styles of ebike.

Terminology is a bit confusing; controller generally refers to the important part that controls the battery->motor path. This is often in the battery mount. The display is what the user actually sees and interacts with, that gives commands to the controller. For me it is definitely easier if the display is on the handlebars, and I don't care where the controller is (as long as its protected from weather).

Have you considered a conversion of your existing bike? Quite easy to install if you are at all used to bike maintenance. Depending which you use it can be quite easy to move between powered and (almost) standard bike; switch wheel and remove battery. Most conversions are going to be generic parts which are good when it comes to battery replacement as well.
swscotland bentrider

Post by swscotland bentrider »

I initially rode a Giant Fastroad E. Switched to a Ribble with Mahle system. Although the battery on the Giant had greater capacity the Ribble went at least as far. The difference is that the Ribble spends more time above 16 mph. It simply rolls better. Some of the heavier models on sale are not really designed for use without the motor. The Fazua bikes are well worth a look.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

RC wrote: 23 Nov 2022, 6:01pm Definitely need a battery that can be removed for charging...so that simplifies the selection process quite a bit.
Expect to pay a price premium for the convenience.
stodd

Post by stodd »

Dingdong wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 11:30am
RC wrote: 23 Nov 2022, 6:01pm Definitely need a battery that can be removed for charging...so that simplifies the selection process quite a bit.
Expect to pay a price premium for the convenience.
Most cheaper ebikes and most conversions have easily removable batteries; it tends to be more expensive (over-designed) ones that don't.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

The conversion kit I put on my old Audax bike is brilliant (I can do 200k on two batteries) but:-

- the battery mount occupies the space for my second water-bottle. I would like to carry both plain water and sports drink, but nowadays it's just the sports drink so the bike gets stickier than it used to.

- I always have a BFO saddlebag on the back to carry the spare battery. Anyone who rifles the bag while I'm having my coffee can walk off with a 300€ item. The 1.5-kilo battery also shifts about in the bag no matter how I pack it in.

- the festoons of wiring and cable-ties look like a dog's dinner. Mine's better than a chum's, though: his cables are red. :shock:

That said, the bike is still nimble enough to have fun, and allows me to do things I haven't done for years. The controller also makes full use of the 25 kph + 10% tolerance EU regs allow, whereas a chum's Bosch-motored panzerbike is limited to an anally-precise Ordnung-muß-sein 25 kph. To the untutored eye my bike also looks like a normal bike so the police are less likely to take an interest when I'm scudding along at 28 kph (rounding error, m'lud).
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Lloydg99

Post by Lloydg99 »

I am in Giants corner, aluminium frame not the most comfortable to ride but power can be easily changed for each of the riding modes. Full power will get you up any hill with minimum effort. High power limits range to about 40 miles whilst economy will push you along for about 50 miles. You can also connect an extra battery to shifter tube. Priced around £2000-2500
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I only know about the ebike I have had for 2 years. Its this.... https://www.bikester.co.uk/ortler-bozen ... #cgid=b446
I paid £1500 and my bike has the Bosch Performance line motor and 500wh battery. On Tour setting I can get 50 miles out of the battery. Its fairly heavy but absolutely solid and very comfortable indeed. I havent toured on it yet for personal reasons but I would have no hesitation in doing so. The quality of all the components is superb and the only problem I have had was buckling the front wheel by riding into a kerb. I straightened the wheel myself. Its a clunker but would make a superb commuter.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Can I suggest an emotor bolt on for your audax bike?
The simplest would be an entire new front wheel and battery. Easily removable when your knee recovers.
A rear wheel is also an option. Both these options can be powered by any one of numerous batteries. In my limited experience, a typical 36v 20ah battery will last around 40-50 miles.
If all is in good condition if you decide to sell at a later date, you could maybe get half your costs back.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I find front-wheel motors a bit scary - I can imagine that they would oversteer on bends, though maybe not if you stop pedalling.
Have we got time for another cuppa?