Cassette cogs in Shimano IGH & spacers

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
crg

Cassette cogs in Shimano IGH & spacers

Post by crg »

Feel free to correct if needed.

Hubs: Nexus SG-8R36 & Alfine SG-S501

IGH cogs (Shimano, Sturmey Archer) are 3mm thick at the base.
These cogs are held in place by the snap ring.

To get desired ratio, plan on using 8-and 9-speed cassette cogs after grinding away 6 splines and shaping the remaining 3.

8-speed cogs are 1.85mm thick.
9-speed cogs are 1.78mm thick.

How thick should spacers be for the snap ring to hold the cog in place?
Obviously, it is 1.15mm and 1.22mm but spacers of that thickness are unavailable.

Do the spacers need splines?
What did you use?
What do you recommend?
Jupestar

Re: Cassette cogs in Shimano IGH & spacers

Post by Jupestar »

I'm not sure i would do this, i think the adjusted splines would not be strong enough, mashing the cog splines, hopefully before damaging the IGH. I've mashed a IGH sprocket onto a hub before and it not easy to get it off.

Have you checked the ID of the cassette cog and the IGH cog match?

In terms of spacers ~ 0.5mm your into tolerances, and just test and see what would work, worst maybe you need to grind down.

I'd try and have splines on the spacers as once clamped with the lock ring should help discourage damage to the spines, but doubt it will help that much as unlike a cassette its not going to have the torgue to spread the load.

Out of interest what cog are you trying to use? there is range of IGH sizes available, and once you go outside these sizes, you can start to have problems with the chain interferring with the cassette joint. the wider 3mm cogs will hold the chain better. Although using a RD style tensioner can help both these.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Why are you doing this? Do you need a tooth count that is not easily obtained?
crg

Post by crg »

3-speed chainring up front.
I will not be pedaling out of the saddle or mashing, just spinning.

Shooting for a ratio of 1.3 wrt smallest chainring. Live in a hilly area.
Have IGH cogs of the following sizes: 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22.
Hubs are out of warranty.
Will need a few cogs between 17 and 30 depending on size of small chainring.
17, 23, 26 & 30
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Shimano recommend a ratio around 1.8. 32/22 gives 1.4, not far off your aim of 1.3? Also, why would you need a few cassette cogs, you know there are gears inside it too? :wink:

You've already got a good range of proper IGH cogs, so wouldn't it be easier to just buy a slightly smaller chainring, e.g. 28 or 30T? Looks to be about £10-12 on ebay for a 28T?

http://www.gear-calculator.com/?GR=SHA8 ... H&DV=teeth

I think you'll find grinding the splines could be quite difficult. They're both hard and hard to get tools at. I wanted to grind them all off so I could use the cog on a disc mount for fixed gear. I've since quit on this idea and buy lightly used velosolo disc cogs from ebay instead, an example of the rule "don't make what you can buy".

Some past discussion that you may have already seen here viewtopic.php?p=1520789
Last edited by alexnharvey on 25 Nov 2022, 1:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
crg

Post by crg »

Hard to disagree with what you say.
I know Shimano recommends around 1.8 or 1.9.
My hubs are out of warranty, though unused.

Mashing or out of the saddle at 1.9 probably loads the IGH more than spinning at 1.3

Have a knee issue.

38t chainring needs 30t cog for 1.3

If CNC files are available, can probably machine cogs with 3mm base.

Any entrepreneurs in the forum?
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

I expect bike punx, a company who cnc chainrings and cogs could make you one easily enough. However, since they already make custom chainrings I remain bewildered as to why you wouldn't simply buy one of them instead? Are you stuck with the 38t?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234604082763?

or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353743467061
crg

Post by crg »

Stuck with 38T chainrings since I bought a bunch of them, in a couple of BCDs. Too expensive to change now.

Btw, can the teeth of 1/8" cogs be ground to fit 3/32” chains?
24T 1/8" cogs are available.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Easier to just run a 1/8 chain in this situation, unless you have a mill or a lathe to skim the cog. 1/8 chain will run happily on a 3/32 chainring.
crg

Post by crg »

crg wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 1:55pm Stuck with 38T chainrings since I bought a bunch of them, in a couple of BCDs. Too expensive to change now.

Btw, can the teeth of 1/8" cogs be ground to fit 3/32” chains?
24T 1/8" cogs are available.
Standardized on 38t chainrings and 22t cogs since they are the smallest chainring and the largest cog that fit the Hebie chainglider.

Also stocked 3/32" chains but easier to remedy.

Out of curiosity, is it a simple grinding of the teeth by 1/64" on either side or does it taper from the base of the teeth to the tip?
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Most cogs have slight chamfer or bevel on the thickness near the tip to ensure the chain meshes. Shouldn't matter too much if the chainline is fairly straight but it helps us there is some misalignment.
rjb

Post by rjb »

I've done this on a Sturmey 3 speed hub. Fitted a cassette sprocket, It's easy to grind off 6 of the splines and shape the remaining 3. I used a crescent shaped file. No damage to the driver when I came to remove it. The spring snap ring doesn't need an exact dimension, there's some tolerance to ensure the sprocket is retained. Cassette sprocket spacers are the same size diameter as the driver.
There's more information on Sheldon Brown's website.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
crg

Post by crg »

alexnharvey wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 2:27pm Easier to just run a 1/8 chain in this situation, unless you have a mill or a lathe to skim the cog. 1/8 chain will run happily on a 3/32 chainring.
Will a 1/8" chain fit in a front derailleur and shift on a 3-ring crankset?
rjb

Post by rjb »

At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
crg

Post by crg »

rjb wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 8:54pm Sheldon's link here. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/internal-gears.html#hybrid
Quite useful. Thanks.