Green Slime - Silly Question!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
TomMine

Green Slime - Silly Question!

Post by TomMine »

Hello, I know this is probably a really silly question but here goes:
I've recently had my tires filled with Green Slime whilst my bike was being serviced, having also bought an expensive tire pressure gauge does anyone know if it would be ok to use the gauge without the slime clogging up the gauge internals?
Thank you :)
jb

Re: Green Slime - Silly Question!

Post by jb »

Digital or mechanical - analogue?
Either way it's probably not a good idea as some liquid could spurt out and set in the gauge. A mechanical gauge with a bourdon tube could probably handle it better.
Cheers
J Bro
audaxjk

Post by audaxjk »

Not sure about a pressure gauge, but in order to stop green gunk clogging up the inflation nozzle of my track pump - I leave the wheels with the valves in the 12 o'clock position for 5 mins and then blow a bit of air out of them to clear any residual slime before connecting to the pump. Seems to work ok for me.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

audaxjk wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 11:23am Not sure about a pressure gauge, but in order to stop green gunk clogging up the inflation nozzle of my track pump - I leave the wheels with the valves in the 12 o'clock position for 5 mins and then blow a bit of air out of them to clear any residual slime before connecting to the pump. Seems to work ok for me.
12 o'clock will collect slime in the valve surely, 6 better, or maybe 5 or 7 if you think the slime tide is high.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

wirral_cyclist wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 5:48pm
audaxjk wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 11:23am Not sure about a pressure gauge, but in order to stop green gunk clogging up the inflation nozzle of my track pump - I leave the wheels with the valves in the 12 o'clock position for 5 mins and then blow a bit of air out of them to clear any residual slime before connecting to the pump. Seems to work ok for me.
12 o'clock will collect slime in the valve surely, 6 better, or maybe 5 or 7 if you think the slime tide is high.
12 oclock being at the top the furthest away from the pool of gunk
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

CyberKnight wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 5:58pm
At 12 o'clock the valve stem is upside down, so any slime in it will run down to the outlet. Put it at 6 o'clock, and the valve will be clear unless the slime depth is greater than the tube diameter.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

^^^^ yes.
audaxjk

Post by audaxjk »

Sorry, meant 6 o'clock, although thinking about it off the replies 4/5 or 7/8 o'clock would probably be best.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

I'm still waiting for the OP to reply to jb's clarification question....
TomMine

Post by TomMine »

It sounds like I best just give it a go and see what happens lol, I'll put the valve at 4'oclock or thereabouts to make sure the stem is drained and maybe just let a bit of air out before connecting the gauge (digital). If it blocks the gauge then I'll just have to rely on pressing the tire with my thumbs to test the deflection as I know roughly what 35PSI feels like (which is the max pressure I use for going along fire lanes etc on my EMTB with luggage). Thanks all! :)
borisface

Post by borisface »

If you ever contract bronchitis you can make your own green slime.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

borisface wrote: 7 Dec 2022, 8:53am If you ever contract bronchitis you can make your own green slime.
Yuk - is that the source of the stuff, industrially collected in hospitals, possibly by hard up nhs workers selling it on the black market.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

borisface wrote: 7 Dec 2022, 8:53am If you ever contract bronchitis you can make your own green slime.
In my yoof, in Tyneside where coal mining was still going full-whack, there were many poor lads with pneumoconiosis and similar lung damage who suffered badly with the mucous, and with a seemingly constant series of lung infections. As a result, they produced what we urchins termed "green cockles" - large dollops of green mucus spit out on the pavements by those damaged fellows walking about.

These things were something of a hazard to those of us who ran about a lot, as they were slippy but also sticky. It was common to hit one with a footfall when busy playing out at tiggy-with-the-ball or similar.

Those days seem to have gone but instead we have the nastier universal pollutants that damage lungs resulting in asthmas and similar. No green cockles but not good for those so-damaged, anymore than was pneumoconiosis, which at least got the miners some compensation (eventually, sometimes).

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

The instructions with Slime tubes say to put air in or let it out with the valve at 10 or 2 o'clock. I've deflated with them in that position with little or no loss of gunge.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

axel_knutt wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 6:14pm
CyberKnight wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 5:58pm

At 12 o'clock the valve stem is upside down, so any slime in it will run down to the outlet. Put it at 6 o'clock, and the valve will be clear unless the slime depth is greater than the tube diameter.
6 oclock is at the bottom , valve at 6 o clock means its at the bottom where the slime is so 12 o clock for the valve means its at the top away from the slime pool
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."