Leopard Lync bike alarm - review?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Revolution

Leopard Lync bike alarm - review?

Post by Revolution »

Hi,
Having had an expensive bike nicked in the past, I'm always anxious when I leave my bike in town, no matter how many shackle locks I put on it. The thought of being alerted on my phone should someone start messing with it in my absence would give me peace of mind. So an electronic alarm and tracking devices seems to be a smart idea. I haven't found a user review for this product so I would be very interested to hear if anyone has first hand experience of this device
https://www.leopardtech.co.uk/
Psamathe

Re: Leopard Lync bike alarm - review?

Post by Psamathe »

I tried a similar device though based on a wide area network. A number of issues. Before getting it I was convinced it was what I wanted/needed. After tryingI was a lot less convinced of the principle. e.g. by the time the device has detected movement outside the geofence, pushed an alert to your phone and you''ve seen it and got to where you left the bike it will already be in a van and several miles down the road. Also, they are pushing "features" that are not useful e.g. if it's text msg based what help is 4G when 4G has shorter coverage than 3G?

They are selective in their "comparisons" as there are other such devices available which they have omitted.

Different device but my review https://psamathe.net/alterlock-cycle-security-review/. I sent my one back for a refund and not bothered to look further as I'm no longer convinced they provide useful additional security.

Ian
Revolution

Post by Revolution »

Psamathe wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 5:02pm
Different device but my review https://psamathe.net/alterlock-cycle-security-review/. I sent my one back for a refund and not bothered to look further as I'm no longer convinced they provide useful additional security.

Ian
Very useful. Thanks. The devise you tried does seem very similar to the Leopard Lync - there are a number of others - all seem to be start-up companies sometimes crowd-funded never established manufacturers who could perhaps invest more heavily in R&D. Your comprehensive review certainly does not inspire me to get one - at least not at the moment.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

My main reason for thinking they were a good idea was more as a "long distance alarm" e.g. in supermarket out of earshot of the audible alarm and instead a text would alert me. Reality is that by the time the vibration sensors had detected, warned, gone to alert (all to avoid false alarms), notification to company servers, then text to me (inside a metal building) ... bike would be several miles down the road.

Tracking after theft I didn't see as useful as how easy would it be to get the Police in "hot pursuit"? And for them to break into a private building on your say because you believe your bike is in there - not going to happen.

The special security screws such devices use are the Torx bolts with a dimple in the middle, easily undoable with a small screwdriver or the proper tools are readily available. So you get Police to break-in, turn the property upside down all to find those steeling it had removed it and posted it through the letterbox of a house where occupants were away!

Ian
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Psamathe wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 7:21pm

The special security screws such devices use are the Torx bolts with a dimple in the middle, easily undoable with a small screwdriver or the proper tools are readily available. So you get Police to break-in, turn the property upside down all to find those steeling it had removed it and posted it through the letterbox of a house where occupants were away!

Ian
I first read that as taking the stolen bike apart and posting it through a letter box :D
Richard M
Cardiff
scottg

Post by scottg »

I am waiting for a lock/service that notifies the insurance company,
automatically files a claim and places a Halfords order for a replacement
bike. The premium service orders from Spa instead of Halfords. :)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Whatever you get, make sure to recharge/change the batteries in the on-bike unit regularly. I demonstrated my el cheapo the other day to a chum who was less than impressed by the resounding silence.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

The Leopard Lync isn't exactly discreet is it? A sharp blow with a hammer will get that off the bike and possibly render it useless before an alert can be sent?

In general terms Trackers should be seen as a last ditch measure after the locks and other securing paraphernalia have failed.

The sounder, triggered by movement is a helpful deterrent (is 109dB that loud?) but as has been said, the possible time delay from triggering to receiving notification could be lengthy.

What would be a better solution is for the alarm to trigger a pager - such systems are self contained in that the bike kit transmits directly to the pager device with a range of around 0.5 miles plus.

The motor cycle world has something like this e.g. the Bully Locks (bullylocks.com) Alarmed D Lock with integral pager but I don't know if they sell to the UK.

Regarding the Leopard Lync, alarm notification and tracker accuracy will be affected by many factors starting with the design of the device and how many GPS satellites it can see in it's location and providing it (and you) have cellular network service.

One very handy feature for the tracker to have, is for you to be able to remotely activate a built in sounder so that when for instance you get to the indicated GPS location of the bike (which at best is only approximate), you can pinpoint where it is in say a car park, block of flats or garages.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

On my recumbent tadpole I have an Abus alarm box. Just a movement detector and loud alarm in a very solid case attached with strong bands not easy to get cutters round. On bent under seat even harder to get at.

I set the alarm when in a supermarket, mainly to discourage kids (or adults) thinking "looks interesting, wonder what it's like to sit in" and then sitting in it and risking the carbon seat ... 1st vibration sounds warning then on to a loud alarm.

Activated by a physical button on the box, deactivated using a traditional key. No phones, no SIM cards, no radios, etc.

I have no idea how effective it has been (as I wouldn't hear the warning beeps when in the supermarket).

Ian
Galactic

Post by Galactic »

Psamathe wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 11:11pm I have no idea how effective it has been (as I wouldn't hear the warning beeps when in the supermarket).
There's a video (or maybe more than one?) on youtube showing someone defeat an Abus alarm box. Basically, get at it with your tools until it beeps at you. Wait a moment for it to settle down, then go for it again. I think it took two or three goes to get the box off.

Obviously slows the thief down (which is half the battle, I understand), but certainly not theft proof.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Galactic wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 11:40am
Psamathe wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 11:11pm I have no idea how effective it has been (as I wouldn't hear the warning beeps when in the supermarket).
There's a video (or maybe more than one?) on youtube showing someone defeat an Abus alarm box. Basically, get at it with your tools until it beeps at you. Wait a moment for it to settle down, then go for it again. I think it took two or three goes to get the box off.

Obviously slows the thief down (which is half the battle, I understand), but certainly not theft proof.
For me it's more about discouraging people from wanting to sit in it to "see what it's like" (bent tadpole with carbon seat attracts attention, looks different and easy to just sit in to try ...).

I tend to think that most people stealing are quick enough to cut, lift to van and gone before you can get there.

Ian