Carbon seat post finish

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
csopho

Carbon seat post finish

Post by csopho »

Hi, I have recently bought a new bike, a boardman slr 9.4
This is my first carbon bike, on picking up the bike in store the seatpost on the bike looks worn and the finish does not look acceptable. Is this normal, any help would be appreciated.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qhT3mU86Yt7G4Lxc7
Squibnocket

Re: Carbon seat post finish

Post by Squibnocket »

Halfords?
Have they used the bike as a test bike for others to try? The seapost does look like it's been inserted and pulled out hence the marks.
Have you asked them, what was their reply?
csopho

Post by csopho »

They werent knowlegable, they tried to tell me.....

- it was carbon grease.
- it would clean off - but then they couldn't clean it.
- they then said it was ud carbon and that's what it looks like

but they admitted they'd never seen one of these bikes before. They don't give me much confidence. I'm only just starting to get into carbon bikes so have no experience. I checked with some friends who have carbon road bikes and none of their seat posts look like that.

The rest of the bike was mint so it may be normal but I can't be sure.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hard to tell from the photos but some of that does look very like the finish you can get on raw UD carbon - rather like black marble. Are there any definite scratces or side to side zig zag marks that indicate the seatpost has been inserted and then raised and lowered?
I have a Rose Xeon with a UD carbon frame with a matt unvarnished finish which as I say is very like marble in it's colour variations. I rather like the finish.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

that is what raw carbon looks like, there is nothing wrong with it. The arms on my Campag Super Record chainsets have similar striations albeit under a shiny lacquer.

the 'classic' cf mesh look is purely decorative and serves no function
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

foxyrider wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 7:42pm that is what raw carbon looks like, there is nothing wrong with it. The arms on my Campag Super Record chainsets have similar striations albeit under a shiny lacquer.

A bit of an exaggeration. Carbon weave is still very strong stuff.

The seatpost pictured above looks ok to me.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

alexnharvey wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 7:56pm
foxyrider wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 7:42pm

A bit of an exaggeration. Carbon weave is still very strong stuff.

The seatpost pictured above looks ok to me.
Never said it wasn't strong but adding it to a component just adds cost, its often used to wrap a metal core on cheaper parts, no one will question the weave finish right?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
csopho

Post by csopho »

They're not scratches they almost look like markings under the lacquer...but the markings are not consistent and it looks odd. I think I'll put them under a bit more pressure to give me a better answer. I'll end up taking the bike in the end.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Ask them to get you either a new seatpost for delivery later or a discount.
Is it the 2022 model, these have been around for a couple of years and it may be older stock
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

csopho wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 8:30pm They're not scratches they almost look like markings under the lacquer...but the markings are not consistent and it looks odd. I think I'll put them under a bit more pressure to give me a better answer. I'll end up taking the bike in the end.
You've already had the answer here and from halfords: that's what unidirectional carbon looks like. What more explanation do you need? Stop wasting their time and your own.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/unidirec ... bon-fibre/
Last edited by alexnharvey on 28 Nov 2022, 8:22am, edited 1 time in total.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

I'd ask for a 5% discount on what seems to be a 'demonstrator', no harm in asking!
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Dingdong wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 8:08am I'd ask for a 5% discount on what seems to be a 'demonstrator', no harm in asking!
Except the bike is mint and the op is simply unaware of what the finish should look like.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

alexnharvey wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 8:20am
Dingdong wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 8:08am I'd ask for a 5% discount on what seems to be a 'demonstrator', no harm in asking!
Except the bike is mint and the op is simply unaware of what the finish should look like.
I'd still ask for a 5% discount! :lol: :lol: Bike shops, IME will do anything to get rid of old stock.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

That is normal for that type of carbon.
Pneumant

Post by Pneumant »

I agree that the seat post has a raw unfinished functional look. I imagine a light application of shoe polish or car bumper black will improve the looks (for a while..). Out of interest - how is this particular post tightened into the frame?