Will my derrailleur work with a bigger cassette?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mattsccm

Re: Will my derrailleur work with a bigger cassette?

Post by mattsccm »

Just to really complicate things you could try a triple with a missing outer ring. It will go straight on and all you need to do is drop the front mech and maybe play with the adjusting screws.
As other people are being brutal so will I. What are you spannering skills like. None of this is complex but if you haven't a clue it is intimidating although Youtube is your best mate here.
I reckon that rear mech is a Microshift. Thye are generally Shimano compatible but without seeing your gear shifters we can't be sure.
A suggestion. Is there a local bike recycling place near by? They will have boxes of useable parts and often have helpful mechanics who even run tuition sessions.
arupaka

Post by arupaka »

mattsccm wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 8:57pm Just to really complicate things you could try a triple with a missing outer ring. It will go straight on and all you need to do is drop the front mech and maybe play with the adjusting screws.
As other people are being brutal so will I. What are you spannering skills like. None of this is complex but if you haven't a clue it is intimidating although Youtube is your best mate here.
I reckon that rear mech is a Microshift. Thye are generally Shimano compatible but without seeing your gear shifters we can't be sure.
A suggestion. Is there a local bike recycling place near by? They will have boxes of useable parts and often have helpful mechanics who even run tuition sessions.
ahah that's ok. I probably have no spannering skills at all compared to you guys! Much of this stuff is new to me. When the bike gets broken I do my best to fix it (with the help of youtube), that's when I learn. Otherwise I really don't have any interest.
Last year I successfully switched my bike's rear wheel so I think it'll be smooth to change the cassette. Messing with the crankset will be the novelty.

Just checked the shifters and they're also microshift. In the picture I posted it's hard to see but the rear derrailleur has "V. G. <image of a UFO (???)>" printed.

Some of you are saying the bike is hopeless and it's better to get a new one. I fully agree with this, but she's not keen. And now I'm already down the rabbit hole.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

52/42 and 11-25 is an old racing/high speed setup.
On the back I'd go for a 12-32 8 speed cassette as the gaps are very even across the range.
An 11-34 will give you a slightly bigger range but it will also have bigger steps between some of the gears which can make things harder for the rider.
As for the front, just from looking at the photo's there doesn't look like there's room to fit an 3rd ring with a triplizer.
Also going a lot smaller means new cranks and maybe a new bottom bracket.
So I'd go for a 38/50 double and move the front derailleur down 4mm to match the new rings.
That gives a 32t capacity range which the medium cage rear derailleur should cope with.
So 12-32 and 50/38 will give you the best range at the minimum price.

Luck ......... :D
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Look what a couple of hundred quid will buy you here.......https://www.resurrectionbikes.org.uk/products/

If you fit a 38 inner ring, she will just ride it all the time in a 38 ring, instead of a 42 ....not much difference, really, and the jump to 52 is even bigger
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

As others have opined, that bike looks like a potential money pit. The gear train looks shot and likely needs a new cassette, chain and chainrings at the very least - and that would just be like for like, offering no improvement other than the gears won't start jumping or otherwise failing very soon now. Start adding the additional parts for different chainring and cassette sizes, new cables etc. and you'll be into hundreds of quids!

And what else is worn to the point of needing replacement? Brake bits? bottom bracket bearing and headset?

I have one solution: buy a good quality second hand bike of the kind that will suit the riding the owner wants to do, I have two for sale myself but so do hundreds of others who put them into ebay and similar on-line market places. Here's one of mine:
Tricross 2-6.JPG
Tricross 2-17.JPG
Tricross 2-16.JPG
Tricross 2-7.JPG
Tricross 2-1.JPG
£350, or another negotiable price with various changes, such as a long arm rear derailleur and an 11-34 cassette, for a low gear of 1:1. Also, different tyres available or even a whole spare wheelset. There are many new parts on this bike and every part has lots of wear left in and has been cleaned and lubricated before the bike being put up for sale.

Another member here bought an identical bike from me. See the new bike forum for details.

Look in the marketplace forum on this website to see other bikes for sale and likely to be in very good nick. They're generally not as expensive as buying all the parts to refurbish a bike that's generally worn in the various wear-parts, as your example appears to be.

You could probably sell the bike you pictured, though, for a few quid, to reduce the cost of a replacement.

Or you could look for inexpensive second hand parts on ebay, to refurbish your bike. This can be a money-loser if you don't know how to judge their condition from the photos, though.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

If a bike is in need of a completely new drive train, I will definitely pass on it. :mrgreen:
arupaka

Post by arupaka »

Cugel wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 11:01am As others have opined, that bike looks like a potential money pit. The gear train looks shot and likely needs a new cassette, chain and chainrings at the very least - and that would just be like for like, offering no improvement other than the gears won't start jumping or otherwise failing very soon now. Start adding the additional parts for different chainring and cassette sizes, new cables etc. and you'll be into hundreds of quids!

And what else is worn to the point of needing replacement? Brake bits? bottom bracket bearing and headset?

I have one solution: buy a good quality second hand bike of the kind that will suit the riding the owner wants to do, I have two for sale myself but so do hundreds of others who put them into ebay and similar on-line market places. Here's one of mine:

Tricross 2-6.JPG
Tricross 2-17.JPG
Tricross 2-16.JPG
Tricross 2-7.JPG
Tricross 2-1.JPG

£350, or another negotiable price with various changes, such as a long arm rear derailleur and an 11-34 cassette, for a low gear of 1:1. Also, different tyres available or even a whole spare wheelset. There are many new parts on this bike and every part has lots of wear left in and has been cleaned and lubricated before the bike being put up for sale.

Another member here bought an identical bike from me. See the new bike forum for details.

Look in the marketplace forum on this website to see other bikes for sale and likely to be in very good nick. They're generally not as expensive as buying all the parts to refurbish a bike that's generally worn in the various wear-parts, as your example appears to be.

You could probably sell the bike you pictured, though, for a few quid, to reduce the cost of a replacement.

Or you could look for inexpensive second hand parts on ebay, to refurbish your bike. This can be a money-loser if you don't know how to judge their condition from the photos, though.

Cugel
Thanks! Your specialized looks awesome, and for 350quid not bad at all :)
Unfortunately I'm based in Portugal (sorry for the invasion), and since brexit happened can't even fathom dealing with customs...

Sadly, our second hand market is really poor/not competitive in general, on top of that we're also a bicycle neglecting country. You will find either:
-second hand modern road bikes from wannabe armstrongs;
-50year old bikes labelled as vintage so asking price is >300€ (unusable tho);
-decathlon junk like rockrider and so on

If I were to buy a second hand, would probably ryanair up to germany or netherlands and bike back home :D
From what I've seen it's hard to get a new bike for under 600€

So this time I'm throwing 25€ for a 11-32 cassette and a 39T chainring, pray for me!
Last edited by arupaka on 29 Nov 2022, 11:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

arupaka wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 7:25pm So this time I'm throwing 25€ for a 11-32 cassette and a 29T chainring, pray for me!
I presume you mean 39T ?
You may struggle to get your current RD to work with an 11-32 cassette but an 8 speed replacement is fairly reasonable.
Not only to reach the 32T sprocket but take up the chain slack because you will need a longer chain. :-
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mic ... prod205116

The chain will have to be long enough to go round both the 52T chainring and the 32T sprocket at the same time with a fraction of slack.

As well you can always keep a lookout for a more suitable chainset with smaller rings.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
arupaka

Post by arupaka »

cycleruk wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 8:44pm
arupaka wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 7:25pm So this time I'm throwing 25€ for a 11-32 cassette and a 29T chainring, pray for me!
I presume you mean 39T ?
You may struggle to get your current RD to work with an 11-32 cassette but an 8 speed replacement is fairly reasonable.
Not only to reach the 32T sprocket but take up the chain slack because you will need a longer chain. :-
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mic ... prod205116

The chain will have to be long enough to go round both the 52T chainring and the 32T sprocket at the same time with a fraction of slack.

As well you can always keep a lookout for a more suitable chainset with smaller rings.
Yes! 39T.

Also ordered a 114 link 8g chain just in case. If it ends up not being used can always use it on my bike someday :)
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

It's also important to fit a new chain to prevent rapid wear to the new cassette and chainring. If used with an old chain it will wear them to the same extent that it is worn in a short period of time.
crg

Post by crg »

I have a Triban RC 100, that came with a 44T chainring and a 12-28T cassette.
Live in an area where the roads go up or down.
After exploring alternatives, changed to Altus 22/30/40 crankset, with corresponding FD and shifter.
I would suggest a 22/32/44 crankset. Ratios aren't that closely duplicated.

HTH
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

crg wrote: 1 Dec 2022, 3:43am I have a Triban RC 100, that came with a 44T chainring and a 12-28T cassette.
After exploring alternatives, changed to Altus 22/30/40 crankset, with corresponding FD and shifter.

HTH
If I had a reasonable budget then something like a 44/32/22 triple is the way to go.
But on a very limited budget you soon start to run into technical difficulties.
Is the original bottom bracket long enough to take a triple or will the inner ring rub on the frame ??
Will the original front derailleur work well with the much smaller chainrings ??
Will the original rear derailleur cope with the increased chain capacity need ??
The answer to all the questions is probably not.
Which means more new parts and ups the cost of the conversion a lot.

Cheapest conversion I'd do is new chain, 50/38 chainrings and a 12-32 cassette.
Maybe a 39 inner ring if you cannot get a 38.

Luck ........... :D
arupaka

Post by arupaka »

Thanks everyone, you guys are the best. See you in two weeks when I come crying because the components don't fit :D :shock: :|
crg

Post by crg »

Tigerbiten wrote: 1 Dec 2022, 8:22am
crg wrote: 1 Dec 2022, 3:43am I have a Triban RC 100, that came with a 44T chainring and a 12-28T cassette.

HTH
If I had a reasonable budget then something like a 44/32/22 triple is the way to go.
But on a very limited budget you soon start to run into technical difficulties.
Is the original bottom bracket long enough to take a triple or will the inner ring rub on the frame ??
Will the original front derailleur work well with the much smaller chainrings ??
Will the original rear derailleur cope with the increased chain capacity need ??
The answer to all the questions is probably not.
Which means more new parts and ups the cost of the conversion a lot.

Cheapest conversion I'd do is new chain, 50/38 chainrings and a 12-32 cassette.
Maybe a 39 inner ring if you cannot get a 38.

Luck ........... :D
It was less expensive for me, and more effective too in terms of gear ratios, to upgrade the front rather than the rear. I could've saved more if I didn't stick to Altus M2000 series.
Your mileage may vary.