Your Cheating Heart....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Dingdong

Your Cheating Heart....

Post by Dingdong »

New AI driven software than can defeat plagerism checkers could prove a major headache for teachers, lecturers and students alike. It seems it can' write ' essays which can fool most anyone they are original pieces of work. Could it even make the venerable essay format redundant?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... dApp_Gmail
Ben@Forest

Re: Your Cheating Heart....

Post by Ben@Forest »

Surely when any student actually gets into an exam room, then then whether you actually have learned knowledge is going to tell?

Many years ago l had a student with me over a summer, he had just completed a BTEC in accountancy, which was marked 100% on coursework. His dad was an accountant and his mum a teacher, and he was going to university to do accountancy.

A year later he completely failed his 1st year exams, l don't know what options he was given but the last time l saw him he was working full-time, permanent contract in Currys. I don't know why he failed, but the 100% coursework element does make you wonder.
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

Interesting; Open AI the company mentioned in the Guardian article are also responsible for Dall E, a program that produces graphic 'art' from a text description.

This is "A Russian red squirrel in army uniform with backpack"
DALL·E 2022-11-28 13.29.15 - Russian red squirrel in army uniform with backpack and gun.png

Or how about "climate emergency in the style of Hieronymus Bosch"
DALL·E 2022-11-27 22.08.51 - climate emergency in the style of Hieronymus Bosch.png
No pasaran
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The motto of our age is Fake It 'Till You Make It. Although in the case of the most naive, that can get you 11 years. Hey Ho.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth ... mes,_et_al.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I don't remember doing many straight essays at uni. Engineering subjects but it was mostly lab reports and analysis than straight, dry essays.

I did have 29 exams lasting 2 or 3 hours after my first semester. A bit lighter at the end of the first year exams and later years. I guess any cheating would get found out by poor exam results.

The other question is that there's AI programs to find plagiarism and cheating vs AI programs to cheat. That puts it into an arms race. How long before a university starts to have to factor in a cheating fee to cover this? Something all pay up to stop cheats. Just an idea.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Have we got time for another cuppa?
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Tangled Metal wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 5:44pm I don't remember doing many straight essays at uni. Engineering subjects but it was mostly lab reports and analysis than straight, dry essays.

I did have 29 exams lasting 2 or 3 hours after my first semester. A bit lighter at the end of the first year exams and later years. I guess any cheating would get found out by poor exam results.

The other question is that there's AI programs to find plagiarism and cheating vs AI programs to cheat. That puts it into an arms race. How long before a university starts to have to factor in a cheating fee to cover this? Something all pay up to stop cheats. Just an idea.
Cheating obviously defeats the academic experience, should there be harsher 'sentences' for commited cheats?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Reminds me of something Samuel Johnson is alleged to have said “Your manuscript is both good and original; but the part that is good is not original, and the part that is original is not good.”
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker