Should be leading Labour into the next election.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Should be leading Labour into the next election.

Post by pete75 »

Rachel Reeves - if this anything to go by.

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
simonineaston

Re: Should be leading Labour into the next election.

Post by simonineaston »

They've got some class acts at the mo', it must be said :D Reeves, Cooper to name just two. My worry is that when they get in, they'll just be Tory-Lite... I write regularly to my local MP, to tell her of all my good ideas. Happy Days!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

simonineaston wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 12:08pm ... I write regularly to my local MP, to tell her of all my good ideas. Happy Days!
I also write regularly to my MP and only reason I can think of for doing it is I like to be ignored and enjoy wasting my time.

That said I did get a response when I wrote to him about PartyGate. My Dad died of Covid around the time Johnson and No 10 were partying (and I included a copy of his death certificate to show I wasn't making up reasons for outrage). Got a letter back with no hint of "sorry for your loss" or anything; just a couple of pages of staunch defence of Johnson. Whilst "Sorry for your loss ..." would have been more ritual than anything I was very surprised he hadn't even thought it appropriate to include.

Ian
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

pete75 wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 12:00pm Rachel Reeves - if this anything to go by.

An excellent speech by her and thank you for posting it. No doubt she will have her moment at some point in the future - I certainly hope so - but Starmer is in post, is a popular figure, is capable and is ready to lead a future Labour Government. Best to stand behind him and spend any efforts available in making sure that he’s elected and supported with the biggest majority possible. Arguing amongst the Labour ranks is music to Conservative ears and just the thing that will help the Conservatives in the next election.

To my mind the Labour Party is more than just its Leader and having a strong and credible Front Bench really matters. Reeves is someone who adds credibility to that Bench and she’s got experience that is very relevant to the post of Chancellor.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Carlton green wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 9:51pm
An excellent speech by her and thank you for posting it. No doubt she will have her moment at some point in the future - I certainly hope so - but Starmer is in post, is a popular figure, is capable and is ready to lead a future Labour Government. Best to stand behind him and spend any efforts available in making sure that he’s elected and supported with the biggest majority possible. Arguing amongst the Labour ranks is music to Conservative ears and just the thing that will help the Conservatives in the next election.
Farage recently said “Starmer is now repeating the UKIP 2015 manifesto… Labour Party are now to the right of the Conservatives on immigration.”

If Starmer thinks populist anti-immigrant policies will gain him some votes, he may well be right. It's also losing him votes, incluidng mine.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Guessing who would be a good leader is not always easy. I've seen in in business where people are brilliant working as part or running a team but put then in overall control and it does not work. e.g. one company I was a director of and Sales Director was brilliant, ran Sales very well, and a great success. Then MD left and he took over and within a year company had failed (fortunately taken over for peanuts but most people got to keep their jobs). He was a brilliant Sales Director but useless at being MD.

It was no reflection on his, just he was better suited at a narrower focus and not so good when he had to make decisions over far broader aspects of company operation.

Just because somebody is very good in one role does not men they will be good or bad in a different role requiring different skill sets.

Ian
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Psamathe wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 10:15pm Guessing who would be a good leader is not always easy. I've seen in in business where people are brilliant working as part or running a team but put then in overall control and it does not work. e.g. one company I was a director of and Sales Director was brilliant, ran Sales very well, and a great success. Then MD left and he took over and within a year company had failed (fortunately taken over for peanuts but most people got to keep their jobs). He was a brilliant Sales Director but useless at being MD.

It was no reflection on his, just he was better suited at a narrower focus and not so good when he had to make decisions over far broader aspects of company operation.

Just because somebody is very good in one role does not men they will be good or bad in a different role requiring different skill sets.

Ian
Ever leader is promoted from a lesser position. There's no other way to choose them.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pete75 wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 10:52am
Psamathe wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 10:15pm Guessing who would be a good leader is not always easy. I've seen in in business where people are brilliant working as part or running a team but put then in overall control and it does not work. e.g. one company I was a director of and Sales Director was brilliant, ran Sales very well, and a great success. Then MD left and he took over and within a year company had failed (fortunately taken over for peanuts but most people got to keep their jobs). He was a brilliant Sales Director but useless at being MD.

Ian
Ever leader is promoted from a lesser position. There's no other way to choose them.
There are often a lot of indications available to those working closely with them. Often those signs are not apparent from the occasional meeting/speech/performance but working every day it is often easily seen. In my example the Sales Director being made MD was determined from shareholding rather than the best person for the job (and I was never interested as I had already mostly departed the company).

Ian
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Psamathe wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 11:06am

Ian
There are often a lot of indications available to those working closely with them. Often those signs are not apparent from the occasional meeting/speech/performance but working every day it is often easily seen. In my example the Sales Director being made MD was determined from shareholding rather than the best person for the job (and I was never interested as I had already mostly departed the company).

Ian
I don't trust arguments, like yours, based on a single example. I could quote many from my experience where folk promoted to leadership have done an excellent job.
From the point of view of political leadership prsentation is very important, as is the ability to effectively attack the others sides policies and actions. Rachel Reeves appears better in these respects than Starmer.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pete75 wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 11:18am

Ian
I don't trust arguments, like yours, based on a single example. I could quote many from my experience where folk promoted to leadership have done an excellent job.
From the point of view of political leadership prsentation is very important, as is the ability to effectively attack the others sides policies and actions. Rachel Reeves appears better in these respects than Starmer.
My "argument" is not based on a single example. I am using a single example to illustrate my point. Big difference.

Ian
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Psamathe wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 11:20am
pete75 wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 11:18am

Ian
My "argument" is not based on a single example. I am using a single example to illustrate my point. Big difference.

Ian
Hmmm I'll believe you, millions wouldn't.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Reeves is an effective operator ,and is versed in Economics. Starmer is a lawyer and sometimes seems devoid of spontaneity and passion..I would imagine these two limitations would inhibit his self-expression