Trek Pilot front forks: missing mudguard eyelet solution?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
keyboardmonkey

Trek Pilot front forks: missing mudguard eyelet solution?

Post by keyboardmonkey »

The frameset has threaded eyelets for rear mudguards, but not for the front forks.

Does anyone have a recommendation based on their experience of such a Trek Pilot front fork, please? Does some sort of bung fit in those holes above the dropouts? I’d rather not bodge a workaround if there is something already out there.

9EAFE160-876A-40B3-86B8-371F6BD8BDF0.png
Edit: the rear mudguard has no chainstay to fasten to, instead I've had to drill a hole in the mudguard and fasten to the seat tube with a couple of those black plastic spacers that SKS supplies:
SKS black plastic spacers and seat post.jpg
Last edited by keyboardmonkey on 13 Apr 2023, 12:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
cycleruk

Re: Trek Pilot front forks: missing mudguard eyelet solution?

Post by cycleruk »

There are mudguards and/or adaptors that mount to the skewers.
Another option are "P" clips wrapped around the fork legs.
You could also check out such things as race-guards that may give you some ideas.
Any chance there is a "nutsert" mounted on the inside of the fork leg ?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Thanks for the reply and thoughts on this, cycleruk. Some responses to clarify where I'm coming from with this...
cycleruk wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 2:17pm There are mudguards and/or adaptors that mount to the skewers.
I really don't fancy those skewer mounted jobbies. I've already got some other mudguards lined up, and it may be blind prejudice on my part, but I imagine it might be tricky to avoid guard/tyre rubbing with close tolerances when resetting after the wheel is taken out and refitted.
cycleruk wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 2:17pm Another option are "P" clips wrapped around the fork legs.
I don't fancy clamping around the carbon forks.
cycleruk wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 2:17pm You could also check out such things as race-guards that may give you some ideas.
I intend to fit SKS Longboards for the rattle-free coverage I have on my other bikes. I have to say I'm rather impressed with them. Sorry, I should have included that in my first post to avoid doubt. Everyone I've ridden with who has tried to fit clip-on mudguards has put me off the idea of mudguards that aren't meant to be permantly fixed.
cycleruk wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 2:17pm Any chance there is a "nutsert" mounted on the inside of the fork leg ?
That's what I was hoping! I remember seeing a Trek Pilot - a 2.1 I think - with concealed eyelets - or whatever. Thinking about it now I wonder if that was so far up the seat stays.

Anyway, I'm now thinking of modifying two pairs of tapered rubber bungs if I can pick some up. Not a very pretty solution, but could be possible. I remember having something similar that fitted in to that sort-of empty triangle above the rear drop outs on my Raleigh to anchor the mudguard stays. I also had P-clips for the front forks, but the frame was made of steel so I didn't worry about that.
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

No experience of this fork , I have used a mudguard specific fitting device, I think from Zefal, (possibly like you used to use) that fits through the triangular cut out in a forged 'road' rear dropout. I am sure it would fit the triangular cut out above the fork end in your fork. It comprises a Nut and bolt with a split mounded plastic conical section insert both sides. Might have to use a longer bolt /spacer to clear that fork.(or come from inside)
Lots of current guards have an open plastic tube style fitting that slips over the forks/stays then zip ties or rubber straps around the fork /stays , I notice (I am a bit 'old school so no experience of using them)
Just had a look at St John St Cycles website, search "Mudguard Nuts' there are a couple of potential solutions listed .
Also mudguard sets with the Zip Tie/Rubber Strap fittings.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Thank you, Barrowman. Annoyingly, I have found the P-clips from my Raleigh but not the bung nut thingies. My DIY attempts to get around this problem suggest that I need something the right size fitting that will go in to both sides of all the front fork’s hollows. It’s looking like I’ll have to make something as I can’t see anything on SJS that will do the job.
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

You have a pm. :)
You could consider a pair of Stainless Steel Washers ,one either side of the fork, with a puncture patch on the washers (or rubber sheet , or nylon washers) to assist in preventing chatter damage , and perhaps a rubber filler in the hole around the bolt too.
Perhaps something like Waxoyl to prevent the crud gathering / corroding the fork in the triangle.
I have been giving mudguards some serious though the last month or so, trying to fit some to a trike ( I have the correct brackets but it still has been a bit of a head scratcher) :roll:

Just had another thought, nut with built in washer put 'back to front' from behind the dropout (this assumes the built in washer will retain it behind the gap ) . Bolt trimmed to fit. Spring/shakeproof washers.
Ideally in stainless (so it doesn't go rusty)
Last edited by Barrowman on 30 Nov 2022, 1:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Thanks, Barrowman. Stuff to think about. I've replied to your PM. I'm going to need a snug solution :shock:
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Thanks again for your input, chaps. I’ve just fitted these Cat Eye rear light brackets and two cut off sections of inner tube near to the dropouts. Will trim later. I reckon that should do it.
Cat Eye thingies
Cat Eye thingies
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Have you tested them to make sure its the "release" which releases, and it doesn't break the plastic clip? (easier to get home if its the release which gives way....just plug it back in!)
These rubber-lined stainless P clips are strong and tidy, but on carbon forks I would probably add some extra padding; for example a strip of polythene cut from a bottle placed between the stainless and the rubber, just to "soften" the edge of the stainless.....although the stainless has a rounded edge already, not just a sharp cut edge.

https://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/A4 ... brLnd.html
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

531colin wrote: 30 Jan 2023, 4:34pm Have you tested them to make sure its the "release" which releases, and it doesn't break the plastic clip? (easier to get home if its the release which gives way....just plug it back in!)…
I must confess I haven’t tested these clips to destruction. Looking at them now that you mention it I think (hope) that if they are to give way at all it will be at the adjustable, notched point of the clamp and maybe they could be reinserted after the sort of incident we mudguard users worry about. But I don’t know.

My concern with metal clamps is the force used to stop them from swivelling about at the fork end. I’m just too squeamish about overtorquing at this critical point. With two strips of cut down inner tube stretched beyond each drop out I think (there’s that word again) that I have sufficient friction in place to prevent the clamps from rotating or slipping, without compromising the carbon forks at that point.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Anyway, with a couple of inches cropped from the bottom the the front guard (and the lower stay bridge riveted back on rather being bolted in place), a fairly tidy job, I reckon. Cheers, all.
Longboards (cropped) and Cat Eye light clamps attaching the stays to the fork
Longboards (cropped) and Cat Eye light clamps attaching the stays to the fork