Convert 1 1/8" threaded to sealed bearings

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Dr pepper

Convert 1 1/8" threaded to sealed bearings

Post by Dr pepper »

This is now the 2nd time I've changed my headset, winter comes and roadsalt get in & rusts things up.
Can I get a threaded headset for 1 1/8" that has sealed bearings, or could I convert to a threadless system.
I know going threadless would leave threads exposed on the old steerer but I could always hide that with some heatshrink.
rjb

Re: Convert 1 1/8" threaded to sealed bearings

Post by rjb »

Aheadset converters are still available if you want to go threadless. May only work on a steel steerer. :wink:
https://spacycles.co.uk/m9b0s88p2989/BB ... be-Adapter
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
PH

Post by PH »

Dr pepper wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 10:04am Can I get a threaded headset for 1 1/8" that has sealed bearings
Yes, there's probably a choice, this is the only one I have experience with, it was fine, nothing to report, though I can also say the same for the lose ball type headsets I've used.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/headsets/ta ... et-silver/
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Tange FL270C has a stack height that suits most bikes. 35.3mm, 33mm if you leave out the useless washer. Sealed cartridge bearings.
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

Presumably it is the lower bearing race that is going rusty? I don’t believe there is any issue in fitting the lower race from a better sealed Ahead headset on your bike, and keeping the existing upper race and threaded steerer arrangement.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I have a threadless sealed bearing headset on Moulton, but it's 1".
I can buy one of these for new bearings, and ditch the headset unit.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/headsets/ta ... et-silver/
Mick F. Cornwall
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Post deleted.
Last edited by cycleruk on 1 Dec 2022, 1:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
hamster

Post by hamster »

TheBomber wrote: 1 Dec 2022, 8:34am Presumably it is the lower bearing race that is going rusty? I don’t believe there is any issue in fitting the lower race from a better sealed Ahead headset on your bike, and keeping the existing upper race and threaded steerer arrangement.
Spot on - mix and match and use a sealed bottom cup, bearing etc with a threaded top.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

OP - Surely it isn't the type of headset system (threaded) that is the issue? it's the bearing sealing. A good water resistant grease is a bonus, but a mudguard (even just a tiny one to protect the headset) is likely to be the perfect solution.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Dr pepper wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 10:04am This is now the 2nd time I've changed my headset, winter comes and roadsalt get in & rusts things up.
Can I get a threaded headset for 1 1/8" that has sealed bearings, or could I convert to a threadless system.
I know going threadless would leave threads exposed on the old steerer but I could always hide that with some heatshrink.
Try googling "cartridge 1 1/8" threaded headset" check that the stack height is similar to your existing headset, and get one of the slightly more expensive ones. Also fit mudguards.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

gregoryoftours wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 8:49pm
Dr pepper wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 10:04am This is now the 2nd time I've changed my headset, winter comes and roadsalt get in & rusts things up.
Try googling "cartridge 1 1/8" threaded headset" check that the stack height is similar to your existing headset, and get one of the slightly more expensive ones. Also fit mudguards.
It's the mudguard that's the key part - I've been riding around using a headset which was a bargain basement £3.99 when I bought it 8 years ago. If no water gets in it will last very well.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

You could also make a protective 'sock' for the existing lower race from a bit of old inner tube.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

Or a condom, for the lower race. Follows the contours better..
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

KM2 wrote: 6 Dec 2022, 1:26pm Or a condom, for the lower race. Follows the contours better..
How that helps, I cannot conceive! :D
Dr pepper

Post by Dr pepper »

Interesting about the tange headset, I'm a plant fitter by trade, there is a maufacturer of industrial bearings called seiki, if they are the same then they are well made.
My bicycle does have decent mudguards and flaps, and I use high quality water and contaminant resistant grease.
My chain is oiled and cleaned at least once a week but still goes rusty, road salt is common place in this part of the land, in winter stuff rusts up in days.
I spose the type of bearing is less important that the seal, loose ball or carteridge, I've seen RS or rubber seal type carteridge bearings running in awful conditions, water, dust, mank and still run for ages perfectly fine, so I'm biased towards them.