Difficult tyre removal - MD30 rim and Kenda Booster 29x2.6"

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Snowflake

Difficult tyre removal - MD30 rim and Kenda Booster 29x2.6"

Post by Snowflake »

Folks,

Recent e-bike purchase and got a flat for the first time the other day, and no way could I budge the tyre bead. The tyre is too tight on the rim to get a lever in.

With the walk of shame into the bike shop the mechanic popped the bead with his powerthumb and showed me how to, its a sort of push down and roll type manoeuvre.

I re-fitted the inner tube and blew the tyre up, it happily and audibly snapped back into the grooves when inflated to the correct pressure..

As a test I deflated the tyre to make sure I could fix a flat in the wild and found there was no way I had the strength in my hands to break the bead again.

Anyone know of any special tool or trick I could employ?? The tyre goes back on effortlessly, its just getting the bead broken in the first instance to remove.

Here is a link to the rim, you can the where the bead snaps in on the rim profile, https://alexrims.com/products/md30/

Thanks in advance for any tips.

S
Paulatic

Re: Difficult tyre removal - MD30 rim and Kenda Booster 29x2.6"

Post by Paulatic »

Assuming you are still happy with your
+ 1 on the crank brothers speed lever.........had mine for years

The business end (the one that takes tyres on and off) is made of pretty thick plastic, I would reckon if you had the power to destroy this, you would easily be able to put tyres on with your thumbs :-)
and it is purely breaking the bead you are troubled with. Have you tried a pair of pliers to squeeze the beads in? Plumbers pliers probably best.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Maybe try a reversal of what this fellow is doing when installing a hard to fit tyre; https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=us ... &FORM=VIRE
At around 1:30 mins into the clip he stands on the tyre and uses the wheel as a lever to get the last bit on.

In reverse, you could try standing firmly on the seated and deflated tyre and attempt to unseat the bead by levering the wheel to and fro (obviously trying not to scratch your rim if on stony ground).

Failing that, change your username and man up a bit :wink: :D

I would also try a pair of plumbers pliers if at home, but would not fancy carrying them on a ride.
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

I have broken plastic / nylon tyre levers in the past , get hold of some metal tyre levers, satisfy yourself you aren't going to wreck the tyre with them ( look out for quite sharp edges in some cheaper brands) and give them a try .
Also perhaps a little French chalk /talcum powder on fitting to assist in lubricating the bead.?
I have some pretty substantial levers (about 8" width approximately same as your little finger in round section ) which I think are possibly motorcycle fodder .
Have used them to fit solid tyres to vintage machines but not on pneumatics.
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

Sounds like you have tubeless compatible tyres and rims? If so go tubeless and put an end to punctures.
Snowflake

Post by Snowflake »

SimonCelsa wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 4:49pm Failing that, change your username and man up a bit :wink: :D
Folks,

Chuckle, the username comes from The Albino Gorilla formerly of Barcelona zoo, sadly now gone, as opposed to a constantly triggered youth. Wish I had the gorillas strength instead of these puny pipe cleaner arms

Thanks - will give these a whirl......I think I have mislaid, or loaned and never got back the crank brothers tool, which oddly enough I had forgotten all about :-)

S
Snowflake

Post by Snowflake »

tenbikes wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 5:19pm Sounds like you have tubeless compatible tyres and rims? If so go tubeless and put an end to punctures.
Good point, well made.....I believe you are correct.

S
GrahamJ

Post by GrahamJ »

How to Remove a Tire from Difficult Carbon Rim Without Damaging It
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cs4y8K5hiU

I think 'tubeless' is the key word, not 'carbon'. I found Brad Herder's method failed for me, and resorted to a big vice clamping the tyre. And then new tyres which weren't so problematic.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Looking at the Alex rim link, the rim is "tubeless ready" - there is a small logo, also look at the cross section diagram image, you can see the ridge the tyre needs to pop over to seal, which means the tyre has to slip up/over a raised section to seat correctly.
Easiest way would be to go tubeless. I have not gone tubeless but friends have, there certainly is a learning curve going tubeless about sorting punctures that don't self seal easily.
To seal, you need to be able to get a blast of air (or CO2) from a big (floor) pump, or from CO2 canisters to push the tyre bead to its sealing position. The Top gear equivalent of this for large 4 X 4 tubless tyres is to get the tyre loose on the rim, squirt lighter fluid around the inside and light, instantly pops on........(!) Not seen anyone do it on their bike yet.
All my tubeless friends always carry an inner tube in case all else fails.
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

For sure, carry an inner tube!

With skinny tyres probably don't need a compressor to seat . Hand seat as best you can half on one side, half on the other and use a track pump.

This works for my 29x2.6 and 2.8 tyres, and should be easier with narrow tyres.

The alternative, fool proof way, and how I do fat bike tyres, is to fit a tube, blow up until fully seated, then carefully open one side, remove the tube and fit the tubeless valves. Then put the wheel open side down and pump fast! With one side already fully seated this should work. Pump with the valve removed for max volume in through the valve .

When you remove the pump the tyre will deflate but remain on the beads. Then add sealant and valve and pump up for the final time. :)

Spin and bounce around to spread the sealant. Then ride, just round the block to test......
Snowflake

Post by Snowflake »

Thanks all,

I'll try the Brad Herder 'stand and yank' and see how that goes.

It does seem all to be pointing in the direction of dipping my toe in the world of tubeless tyres, but not sure if I can cope with the new technology :-) Old dog, new tricks etc...

S