Favourite 1980s TV series

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Ben@Forest

Re: Favourite 1980s TV series

Post by Ben@Forest »

Father Ted is worth a mention (though it's of the 90s not the 80s). It's interesting to note that at the time it was first shown there was some disquiet about its irreverence to the Catholic Church and the Irish (though written by Irishmen). 10 years later there was disquiet about it not taking abuses by the Catholic Church seriously enough. Times change..
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Cowsham wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 4:23pm
francovendee wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 8:39am I've often wondered whether some classic comedies would be made today.
"Derry Girls" is just out a couple of years and very funny but it's set in the 80's so have built in some PC forgiveness.
Speak of the devil
Lisa Magee writer of Derry Girls just on the news there now getting freedom of Derry city and Strabane for services to tourism and stuff.
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Ben@Forest wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 5:44pm Father Ted is worth a mention (though it's of the 90s not the 80s). It's interesting to note that at the time it was first shown there was some disquiet about its irreverence to the Catholic Church and the Irish (though written by Irishmen). 10 years later there was disquiet about it not taking abuses by the Catholic Church seriously enough. Times change..
Yes exactly -- didn't mention it since it's neither modern or 80's but was absolutely brilliant " Get them feckin crunchies outa the car ! "

https://youtu.be/yTn6c1NMxjM
I am here. Where are you?
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

At the time I never watched Father Ted but have seen a number of episodes in recent years.
I wish now I'd watched the whole series.
Maybe they will re-run the show or does it touch on things that have brought the church into disrepute?
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

francovendee wrote: 6 Dec 2022, 8:57am At the time I never watched Father Ted but have seen a number of episodes in recent years.
I wish now I'd watched the whole series.
Maybe they will re-run the show or does it touch on things that have brought the church into disrepute?
It runs on More4 or similar now and again. Apart from the fact that the three priests are variously a semi-violent drunk, an idiot and an idiot who thinks he's clever it touches upon themes like latent homosexuality and frustrated heterosexuality. In one episode Ted successfully gets a whole bunch of priests out of 'the biggest lingerie department in Europe' thus avoiding embarrassment for the Catholic Church. But of course it doesn't go near issues like paedophilia or babies being taken from unmarried mothers.

But overall it runs through a whole gamut of comedic themes, it won a lot of awards and consistently scores highly on 'best ever comedies'. However if someone thinks 'Vicar of Dibley' was an amazing comedy l generally think they 'don't get' Father Ted.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Dibley was a gentle comedy often with a kind message. It welcomed everyone. Ted just seemed to extract the P and perceived hypocracy from the Catholic church. Two quite different slants. Over the years comedy often seems to me to have descended into a bit of unkindness.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Never ever watched a Father Ted episode and I don't expect to either.
I used to watch All Gas and Gaiters though.

Favourite comedy was the Good Life, and we often quote lines from it even now.

A Chinese bird scarer ............
Woosh! What was that? That's your life, mate!
Methane? You're inthane!
You'd make a marvellous photographer, the way you enlarge everything!
There are three sexes - man, woman, and Barbara!

Loads more.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

On a point of information, both Father Ted and The Vicar of Dibley ran from the mid-1990s.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

francovendee wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 11:26am Are you being served would be on the 'suspect list' to it's very camp portrayal of Mr Humphries.
It wasn't a great show but I always found something amusing in each episode.
I think our attitude to political correctness has put comedy writers into handcuffs.
I'm struggling to find any comedy I watch that's new.
Really? Never seen Jimmy Carr, Frankie Boyle, Rich Hall etc
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

al_yrpal wrote: 6 Dec 2022, 10:32am Dibley was a gentle comedy often with a kind message. It welcomed everyone. Ted just seemed to extract the P and perceived hypocracy from the Catholic church. Two quite different slants. Over the years comedy often seems to me to have descended into a bit of unkindness.

Al
FWIW, I'd say both were very similar in style in that they dealt with caricatures based on stereotypes. Neither ran long, the difference being that FT ended after the sudden death of the star while in VoD the star survived many of the cast. I'm not sure if the writers were intentionally sending up Dawn French. IMO, when series do run for a long time, there's a tendency to become increasingly OTT
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote: 6 Dec 2022, 12:30pm
al_yrpal wrote: 6 Dec 2022, 10:32am Dibley was a gentle comedy often with a kind message. It welcomed everyone. Ted just seemed to extract the P and perceived hypocracy from the Catholic church. Two quite different slants. Over the years comedy often seems to me to have descended into a bit of unkindness.

Al
FWIW, I'd say both were very similar in style in that they dealt with caricatures based on stereotypes. Neither ran long, the difference being that FT ended after the sudden death of the star while in VoD the star survived many of the cast. I'm not sure if the writers were intentionally sending up Dawn French. IMO, when series do run for a long time, there's a tendency to become increasingly OTT
Dibley ran from 1994 to 2007 - a fair while for a TV show.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

pete75 wrote: 6 Dec 2022, 12:05pm
francovendee wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 11:26am Are you being served would be on the 'suspect list' to it's very camp portrayal of Mr Humphries.
I think our attitude to political correctness has put comedy writers into handcuffs.
I confess to not seeing Frankie Boyle so he it may be the exception.

Jimmy Carr can be mildly amusing in eight out of 10 cats but only if there is the right mix of guests.
Rich Hall was funny because of his voice and being different but now I find him a bit boring after a bit.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

francovendee wrote: 6 Dec 2022, 4:07pm
pete75 wrote: 6 Dec 2022, 12:05pm
I confess to not seeing Frankie Boyle so he it may be the exception.

Jimmy Carr can be mildly amusing in eight out of 10 cats but only if there is the right mix of guests.
Rich Hall was funny because of his voice and being different but now I find him a bit boring after a bit.
I meant from the point of view of handcuffs and political correctness - haven't you seen any of their shows? Much of their stuff would be regarded as outrageous by many.

I saw Rich Hall a couple of weeks ago in Melton - brilliant.
PM999

Post by PM999 »

I think The Good Life was 70's, but top TV nevertheless. Same writers (Esmonde & Larbey), and one actor in common (Richard Briers), delivered "Ever Decreasing Circles" in the 80's. It evaded my radar at the time, but the good lady wife prodded me to watch it on UK Gold. Priceless.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

What about the Beiderbecke Tapes about the cornet player Bix B with James Bolam and Barbara Flynt, set outside Leeds?And Michaei Palin "Spinning Yarns" was a sequel to Monty.