Favourite 1980s TV series

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Dingdong

Favourite 1980s TV series

Post by Dingdong »

I've been watching Blackadder back to back. Definitely the funniest thing in TV in this era.

What a sensation!
Dingdong

Re: Favourite 1980s TV series

Post by Dingdong »

Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Recently been watching some of the repeats of the Young Ones - still wonderfully brilliant, far better then any comedy produced now

al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

There were sooo many, hard to choose a favourite

After Blackadder and more recently I loved Ben Eltons Upstart Crow, particularly how Wills famous quips were all actually suggested by his lady servant

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Whats that one based in Yorkshire-builders working Holland or West Germany?That Tim Spell featured with James Niall.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Pebble wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 11:07pm Recently been watching some of the repeats of the Young Ones - still wonderfully brilliant, far better then any comedy produced now
There was a very recent interview with Ade Edmondson in The Telegraph, he doesn't rate The Young Ones at all.

Bottom, he still watches, and admires. It has stood the test of time, he reckons. That’s not true, he avouches, of The Young Ones, approaching its 40th anniversary on November 9 – a week after the same landmark moment arrives for The Comic Strip Presents..., which helped launch Channel 4 with Five Go Mad in Dorset. To help define a new channel and a new spirit of comedy at a stroke is no mean feat, I tell him.

But he resists such adulation, and the label “alternative comedy” has never stuck: “I still don’t know what it means, it sounds like ‘alternative to comedy’!”. He sums up The Young Ones as “an antidote to Terry and June and The Good Life. We were trying to do horrible characters, that’s what was new – but The Good Life stands up better. I’d rather watch that. I once said to the kids: ‘Let’s watch The Young Ones’. After 20 minutes they wandered off. It was too slow and boring.”
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

mumbojumbo wrote: 4 Dec 2022, 4:14pm Whats that one based in Yorkshire-builders working Holland or West Germany?That Tim Spell featured with James Niall.
Boys from the Black Stuff? Timothy Spall the Brummy and Oz the Geordie :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Thats the one,set in Liverpool.I think it was written by Albert Bleasedale or Billy McGovern.I remember Yasser Hughes and his catchphrase "Gis a bob".I think his part was by Bernard Hepton
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Hepton
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

It was "Gis a job"

Looks like you had trouble with those 'Yorkshire' :lol: accents
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
rjb

Post by rjb »

It was recently on BBC. May still be available on the iPlayer.
Yosser Hugh's, gis a job, I can do that.
A sad reflection of the direction we as a nation are currently heading in. :(
Oops you missed it. But it's broadcast occasionally. Keep an eye out.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

al_yrpal wrote: 4 Dec 2022, 5:30pm
mumbojumbo wrote: 4 Dec 2022, 4:14pm Whats that one based in Yorkshire-builders working Holland or West Germany?That Tim Spell featured with James Niall.
Boys from the Black Stuff? Timothy Spall the Brummy and Oz the Geordie :lol:

Al
That was 'Aufwiedersehen Pet'.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Sorry Ben, it was! Just as entertaining. :lol:

Al
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Not the Nine O'Clock News

"Come home to a real fire, buy a cottage in Wales."
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
pwa

Post by pwa »

It is curious how old TV series date. Some things stand up really well, decades after release, but other things seem creaky and disappointing.
I used to be an avid watcher of the ITV adaptations of PD James detective stories (with Roy Marsden as Adam Dalgliesh) in the 1980s. They were highly successful and paved the way for the even better Inspector Morse adaptations that came later. The PD James books remain as detective story masterpieces, but the original TV adaptations haven't stood up so well. They just don't work for a modern audience. A more recent set of adaptations doesn't work very well either, rushing through stories that require a slow build up of menace, atmosphere and mystery. I am afraid that for anyone curious about PD James, who is for me the best detective fiction novelist, reading the books is the only way to appreciate her.

I got the box set of The Young Ones and tried to get my teenage daughter to sit down and watch an episode. She humoured me by watching about ten minutes of it, then we both agreed that it didn't work well for a modern audience. It just isn't very good. Blackadder works a lot better, but it uses timeless ingredients. Each episode is a farce. The central characters acquire familiarity that adds to the humour. You know that a "cunning plan" will materialise, and that it will be a disaster. The plot lines create funny situations and the dialogue is witty. It all still works.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Allo - Allo was a close second to Black Adder then there's Rab C Nesbitt and Red Dwarf both from 1988
I am here. Where are you?