Favourite 1980s TV series

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
francovendee

Re: Favourite 1980s TV series

Post by francovendee »

I've often wondered whether some classic comedies would be made today. I doubt it as some humour touched on taboo subjects like race, gayness and stereotyping.
I know it was the 2000's but I think 'little Britain' was hilarious but wouldn't get made now.
I don't think it even gets re-runs on tv,
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Franco, I agree. They reckon "It aint half hot mum" isnt PC, but....I have the full box set on CDs. Melvyn Hughes is absolutely fuming with the BBC because they wont repeat it thus denying him the fees. We love it
When I visited the US regularly "Are you being served" always seemed to be on their TV.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Are you being served would be on the 'suspect list' to it's very camp portrayal of Mr Humphries.
It wasn't a great show but I always found something amusing in each episode.
I think our attitude to political correctness has put comedy writers into handcuffs.
I'm struggling to find any comedy I watch that's new.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Well done guys - you've done @DingDong's bidding and got this thread onto what he really wanted to say: it's political correctness gone mad etc. etc. And you did it a lot quicker than his Church of England thread - that one was nearly two pages in before anyone took the bait and started slagging off gays and Muslims.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

al_yrpal wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 8:51am Franco, I agree. They reckon "It aint half hot mum" isnt PC, but....I have the full box set on CDs. Melvyn Hughes is absolutely fuming with the BBC because they wont repeat it thus denying him the fees. We love it.
He/they must get the fees that come from channels like UK Gold which do show it (though l understand it's a far reduced amount compared to repeat fees as shown on the original company's channels).

One of the characters in IAHHM was in blackface, the BBC would be crucified if it kept showing it. Maybe they're right, maybe wrong - but it wouldn't be worth the aggro.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Last night I noticed a prominent line of Senegalese in the stadium crowd "whited up!". Hows about that...are we offended? :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 12:23pm Last night I noticed a prominent line of Senegalese in the stadium crowd "whited up!". Hows about that...are we offended? :lol:

Al
I noticed that and thought the same. On C4 News.

Ian
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

al_yrpal wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 12:23pm Last night I noticed a prominent line of Senegalese in the stadium crowd "whited up!". Hows about that...are we offended? :lol:

Al
No more offended than the fact the team was not racially diverse. 11 players of black! I'm surprised her from the BBC was not bemoaning the fact like she did when the England's womens team was too white.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

DevonDamo wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 11:32am Well done guys - you've done @DingDong's bidding and got this thread onto what he really wanted to say: it's political correctness gone mad etc. etc. And you did it a lot quicker than his Church of England thread - that one was nearly two pages in before anyone took the bait and started slagging off gays and Muslims.
This is the second page. ( on my phone at least )
I am here. Where are you?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

DevonDamo wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 11:32am Well done guys - you've done @DingDong's bidding and got this thread onto what he really wanted to say: it's political correctness gone mad etc. etc. And you did it a lot quicker than his Church of England thread - that one was nearly two pages in before anyone took the bait and started slagging off gays and Muslims.
Obviously we have touched an individual lacking our sense of humour. :lol:

Al
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

al_yrpal wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 3:37pm
Obviously we have touched an individual lacking our sense of humour. :lol:

Al
Enjoying life, and a laugh, it's not for everyone!
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

There used to be a guy on here called Mercalia, who was repeatedly dog-whistling in very much the same way. Like Ding Dong, he got away with it as most users weren't aware of what he was doing. I was on his case though, and he eventually got himself banned when his mask slipped and we were all treated to his true nastiness. Not wishing you banned by the way DingDong - would always prefer to argue, as I would with Al_yrpal and Carlton Green about their right wing politics. However, this can't be done with someone who's hiding behind the dog-whistle and denial tactic - e.g. you've stopped responding to me on the CofE thread, since I caught you out on your homophobia/Islamophobia.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

francovendee wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 8:39am I've often wondered whether some classic comedies would be made today.
"Still Game" is one of my favorite shows made relatively recently and although a little rude it still has some very subtle humour in. One of my favorite characters is Winston with the wooden leg ( he smoked his leg off )

Losing the prosthetic bit while doing his turn on a coffin lift was hilarious -- I nearly bust a gut.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

francovendee wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 8:39am I've often wondered whether some classic comedies would be made today.
"Derry Girls" is just out a couple of years and very funny but it's set in the 80's so have built in some PC forgiveness.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I may have a faulty sense of humour, but I never found anything funny in an actor wearing black make up waggling his head. Neither did a caricature of a mincing homosexual ever tickle my funnybone.
In fact I wonder about the mentality of those who did enjoy these ridiculous travesties.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?