Favourite 1980s TV series

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
rjb

Re: Favourite 1980s TV series

Post by rjb »

Dibley ran from 1994 to 2007 - a fair while for a TV show.
Plus the extras recorded during lockdown. 2020 so 26 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_T ... y_episodes
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

rjb wrote: 7 Dec 2022, 10:14pm

Interesting though that Dibley only had 31 episodes over 26 years and a number of those were charity specials or short lockdown episodes, obviously to 'get something made' during lockdown. Father Ted had 25 'proper' episodes over three years. It was of course curtailed by the death of Dermot Morgan, and, in the series, as he was going to take on a parish in the USA. Who knows where it would have gone...
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Ben@Forest wrote: 8 Dec 2022, 12:52pm

Interesting though that Dibley only had 31 episodes over 26 years and a number of those were charity specials or short lockdown episodes, obviously to 'get something made' during lockdown. Father Ted had 25 'proper' episodes over three years. It was of course curtailed by the death of Dermot Morgan, and, in the series, as he was going to take on a parish in the USA. Who knows where it would have gone...

Faulty towers only had two series of 6 episodes each ie 12 in all yet who can forget it -- very funny and still funny

( although the violence towards Manuel always disturbed me so I never found that bit funny although many others seemed to )
I am here. Where are you?
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Fawlty Towers was unforgettable. Who can forget the episode when Basil was visited by a former teacher ,from Wellington School?John Cheese was born in Weston, a rival of Torquay, who he sought to discredit. Apparently in one episode his real wife did a cameo role.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

mumbojumbo wrote: 8 Dec 2022, 3:51pm Fawlty Towers was unforgettable. Who can forget the episode...Apparently in one episode his real wife did a cameo role.
His real wife of the time was Connie Booth who co-wrote it with Cleese and was in all the episodes - she played Polly, the chambermaid.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

One evening whilst in Capetown we went to a Fawlty Towers Dinner in a hotel where we were served by lookalike Basil, Sybill and Manuel. The dinner was very average but the knockabout antics of our hosts were hilarious.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Did Polly make an appearance?I wonder whether Basil might have divorced Sybil had they done a third series ,making an opening for Manuel.or the Major?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I remember some documentary saying The idea of Faulty Towers came from a hotel / bed and breakfast that some of the Monty Python team stayed at once.

Bringing the thread back into the 80's -- The idea for only fools and horses came from when the writer was a boy listening to his uncle telling his father all the antics that went on at the factory his uncle worked at. There's a book in our factory -- every day funny stuff happens -- you couldn't make it up.
I am here. Where are you?
pwa

Post by pwa »

Along with The Royle Family, Father Ted is one of my favourites, and still works for me. But both came from the mid 1990s didn't they?
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

pwa wrote: 9 Dec 2022, 4:57am

Along with The Royle Family, Father Ted is one of my favourites, and still works for me. But both came from the mid 1990s didn't they?
Father Ted was indeed the 90's, but it had a lot of the sensibilities of an 80's sit com, and a fair bit of the surreal. 8 priests trapped in Ireland's biggest lingerie department store is up there with the funniest thing I've ever seen on British television.