Which Brompton?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Philip Benstead

Re: Which Brompton?

Post by Philip Benstead »

On my 6 speed Brompton I have a 44 tooth chainring and 13 and 18 spocket

I have lost the top gear but my bottom gear is 25 inch, with that you get up most things.

With that gear your daught will be able carry stuff on the rear rack or in the front bag with no trouble.

It important that the chain is the correct length.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
steelframe

Post by steelframe »

While massive and sometimes complex mod to Bromptons are somewhat common for a situation like the OP mentions it (choosing a Brompton variant for his daughter) possibly going as stock as possible is the more favorable option. Tinkering has side-effects most of the time and if you are the tinkerer yourself you can for one deal with that and secondly fit the bike to your individual needs iteratively bit by bit.
For someone just wanting a bike this kind of nerdy process is probably alien and no ordinary person outside this forum is seriously willing to think about things like chain length and modification of sprocket sizes. Giving them the feeling this like that would be necessary to ride a bike would rather drive them away from biking in the first hand. They want to buy a bike and use it. Job done. :D
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

You can specify reduced gearing (eg 14t sprocket) at purchase. Similarly a smaller chain ring but not as small as 39T.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

SA_SA_SA wrote: 2 Dec 2022, 3:18pm You can specify reduced gearing (eg 14t sprocket) at purchase. Similarly a smaller chain ring but not as small as 39T.
Like I said I got 44 tooth chain ring but know somebody who a 43 tooth on, of course non standard.

Regarding spockets , I think you may get 19 tooth but I would advise against it because I mucks up the gear ranges.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
irc

Post by irc »

I didn't even know they did a 2 speed. Anyone know the gear inches of the speeds?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Most come with 12/16t on the rear, with quite a wide range available for the chainring. Mine, now working with help from my best mate Mr Volt, is running a 54t, giving 72 & 54 inches. As my fave. round town runabout, this is ideal.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

I don't like the 12/16 so changed to 13/15 (same as the sprocket sizes of the old 6 speed). It took a bit of searching for suitable sprockets and spacers; one is Dura-Ace and one is the mysterious ZTTO.

Basically gives you a normal gear and a tailwind/late for the train gear.
steelframe

Post by steelframe »

irc wrote: 2 Dec 2022, 11:02pm I didn't even know they did a 2 speed.
They invented it in 2005. :)
irc wrote: 2 Dec 2022, 11:02pm Anyone know the gear inches of the speeds?
From factory the 2-speed comes with 54-12/16. As with every Brompton you can get 50t or 44t alternatively from factory. Personally I do consider the factory 54t a good choice and also the 12/16 combination. If you scroll down here to about the middle of the article you'll find a table with all the gear inches: https://brompton.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a ... g-options-
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The two speed plastic derailleur mech is at the heart of The Fold - it's what takes up the slack of the chain. All other gear variants are effectively optional extras - and in my view take away from the basic design. But I can see how some folk may benefit from different gear options.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
irc

Post by irc »

Thanks for all info. Latest is she is going to keep using the old bike and is checking there is no expiry date on the voucher. Not in a rush to spend it and ignored the suggestion she passed it on to me.
PH

Post by PH »

If she ever finds herself somewhere with a Brompton Bike Dock, she could try one all day for a fiver. That's what I did when considering one, spent a day riding around Oxford.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Just bear in mind that Brompton prices are rising and a "normal" C-line (what used to be the L3/M3L) is already £1,195. It is likely to be £1,500 in 2-3 years' time.