Front luggage racks,eg, m-part fmp: why uprise at front? Precludes klickfix uniklip adapter?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
SA_SA_SA

Front luggage racks,eg, m-part fmp: why uprise at front? Precludes klickfix uniklip adapter?

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Why do (front) racks sometimes have a very slight upturn just before the (front in this case) end of the rack, it seems too shallow to have any practical purpose such as stopping stuff from sliding off, but in the case of my m-part fmp rack* would appear to just scupper fitting of a klickfix uniklip attachment: or am I wrong, has anyone fitted a uniklip to this particular rack?

*Eg https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/carriers-ra ... k/?geoc=US
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
cycle tramp

Re: Front luggage racks,eg, m-part fmp: why uprise at front? Precludes klickfix uniklip adapter?

Post by cycle tramp »

The up rise at the back of front racks, prevents any loads (carried on the platform of the rack) from moving backwards and perhaps interfering with the operation of any front cantilever or v brake.
I suspect the angle isn't 90 degrees (on this rack) as it might be considered that a 90 degree rise might stop the rider from strapping loads like sleeping bags and tents to the top of the rack - as close to the head tube as possible (this rack is rated as being able to carry 10 kg so you could theoretically get both on the rack). The smaller front racks like the one offered by nitto do have a 90 degree angle 'back stop' but they also only take lighter loads, which (apart from price) but they might allow you to use that fitting.

What was the weight of the load that you were looking to carry on the front rack?
It's time to go :-)
mattsccm

Re: Front luggage racks,eg, m-part fmp: why uprise at front? Precludes klickfix uniklip adapter?

Post by mattsccm »

To stop things sliding. Straps etc. Soft things will stay in place better as will small throw over panniers.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Thanks but I think you are both talking about the wrong end of the rack:

I mean the very slight rise at the front of the fmp front rack: Not the rearward vertical one but that protects the front brake etc.

The small front rise isnt big enough to stop anything sliding off the front, and panniers vary too much surely anyway (and shortening the rack would seem simpler solution to act as a stop for front pannier hook).
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Front uprise may add a smidgen of extra strength ( ? )

Or possibly a way to circumvent Blackburn patents. ( ? )
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Oh.. right you mean the front..
That's aesthetics, then..

..the thing about that front rack is that the mounting holes on the legs are fixed... one pair to the front drop out and the second pair mounts to a mid point along the forks..

..however because the mounting holes are fixed, (unlike the surly nice front rack or brick lane bikes front rack) there's no adjustability...

Which means that the chances of that rack providing a level platform across all ranges of bikes from every manufacturer is going to be... not very big at all...

..and if you mount a rack and it's not level, then it looks abit pants. But if you put a little kick in the front of the rack, then it's suddenly not that obvious that the racks not level and looks a little less pants.

..personally if you're going to buy a rack, then I'd be looking for some adjustability.. sjs cycles have loads of front racks
It's time to go :-)
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

I have it mounted as a 3 point rack via fork crown mount so was able to adjust the platform to be level apart from that upturn.

An interesting possible explanation though :)

Which leaves: has anyone fitted a uniklip to said fmp rack?
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Which leaves: has anyone fitted a uniklip to said fmp rack?

Anyone? :)
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I think your front rack has a turned-up end because this rear rack has a turned up end.....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1005280617?iid=193332459021
....and they have used the same tooling, or whatever.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

531colin wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 6:49pm I think your front rack has a turned-up end because this rear rack has a turned up end.....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1005280617?iid=193332459021
....and they have used the same tooling, or whatever.
Thanks.