Warm winter socks

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
TrevA

Warm winter socks

Post by TrevA »

Mrs A has requested some warm winter cycling socks for Christmas. What would people recommend?
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
roubaixtuesday

Re: Warm winter socks

Post by roubaixtuesday »

I discovered waterproof socks on a friend's recommendation. Much warmer than anything else due to being windproof, and a good alternative to overshoes.

I have sealskinz, doubtless other brands are available.

Not the trendiest or nicest looking, but intensely practical.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Sealskinz are excellent for keeping the water out, also for keeping it in when they've been washed and you're waiting for them to dry. The latest versions, too, seem to have been designed for people without calves (not the moo kind). Don't let that put you off, though: every sock manufacturer these days seems to consider unwrinkled ankles more important than gangrene.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Audax67 wrote: 2 Dec 2022, 10:36am Sealskinz are excellent for keeping the water out, also for keeping it in when they've been washed and you're waiting for them to dry.
Yeah, you have to dry them twice - once on the outside then turn 'em inside out and dry the inside. Or vice - versa.
PH

Post by PH »

For decent warmth to weight without being too bulky, I like the Uniqlo Heattech socks. Plenty of choice in designs and colour. They're not the warmest socks I own, those are some full-on walking woolies, can't remember the brand, but there's several similar, they are too bulky to wear with footwear not intended for them so don't get much use.
I've had several brands of waterproof socks, Sealskin, Showers Pass, DexShell, I wouldn't choose to wear any of them unless essential. The merino Showers Pass are the most comfortable, the light version of the DexShell the least bulky, but I find they all get a bit clammy after a while.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

We don’t really ride in the rain, so waterproof socks not really necessary, especially given the difficulty in drying them after washing.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 2 Dec 2022, 10:29am I discovered waterproof socks on a friend's recommendation. Much warmer than anything else due to being windproof, and a good alternative to overshoes.

I have sealskinz, doubtless other brands are available.

Not the trendiest or nicest looking, but intensely practical.
Dtto.

The various brands, including Sealskinz, aren't truly waterproof but the membrane supposedly providing the waterproofness always seems to be very good at retaining body heat, even when they get a bit damp from either rain or sweat.

I have one pair of Sealskinz, bought cheaply in a sale. But they're overpriced and other brands can be found that are just as effective but far less expensive.

Some Carnac ones got from PlanetX years ago in a sale are remarkable, possibly because they're one size too big - a size 12-15! Because they're not stretched when put on, this seems to amplify their warmth-retaining ability.

One needs to be wary of the thickness of some of these style of socks. If the cycling shoes are on the tighter side, you might find the thick socks either won't go in or, if they do, they press on the foot parts with a degree of discomfort.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

TrevA wrote: 2 Dec 2022, 11:20am We don’t really ride in the rain, so waterproof socks not really necessary, especially given the difficulty in drying them after washing.
When I saw your thread title, my reaction was to bang on about the importance of bigger shoes and then I saw your OP. The suggestions of sealskinz etc are just a way of avoiding the point that warm socks = thick socks → larger shoes
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

thirdcrank wrote: 2 Dec 2022, 12:35pm
TrevA wrote: 2 Dec 2022, 11:20am We don’t really ride in the rain, so waterproof socks not really necessary, especially given the difficulty in drying them after washing.
When I saw your thread title, my reaction was to bang on about the importance of bigger shoes and then I saw your OP. The suggestions of sealskinz etc are just a way of avoiding the point that warm socks = thick socks → larger shoes
Her winter shoes are a looser fit than her summer shoes, so can accommodate a thicker sock to a certain extent. We’ve previously used Planet X winter socks, some of which are merino, but they are not very durable. Don’t really want to buy her a 4th pair of cycling shoes - she currently has summer, winter and MTB shoes, especially given the current prices of shoes.

She doesn’t like the feel of waterproof socks. We have a pair of Sealskinz bought during a very wet Scottish tour of a few years ago. They don’t get worn.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

I've accumulated an embarrassingly large amount of cycling socks and by far the best I've found for winter are DeFeet Woolie Boolie. They are not cheap but I've had the same pair for at least 10 years and worn them every winter. They come in a range of different lengths and a limited colour choice. Just don't wash them too hot or they will shrink.
Oh, and they also have a picture of a sheep on the sole! :lol:
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Another vote for DeFeet Woolie Boolie: not just warm but some of the most comfortable socks I've ever possessed, full stop. But they are a little thick so Cugel and thirdcrank's observations about larger shoes apply. For me the benefit of warm socks is undermined by my close-fitting Specialized winter boots - something I foolishly forgot to take into account when buying the boots in a sale the best part of a decade ago. (But I still carry on wearing them because I haven't got my money's worth yet, dammit!)
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I’ve just gone all up market and bought a pair for f Sealskinz in a sale (even then they were reassuringly not-cheap!)

They’ve just arrived, and I’m slightly disappointed to discover that they are exactly the same as my old patented method: two thin pairs of socks, with a plastic sandwich bag in between. This may sound amateurish and cheapskate (because it is), but it does work for warmth and water-proofness to a large degree.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I think the waterproof socks are warm because they are 3 layers, outer, membrane, inner.

Thin liner socks should gave the same effect, like these under regular socks:

https://www.sealskinz.com/products/solo ... BzEALw_wcB
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Steve

Post by Steve »

How are cycling socks different from socks that one cycles in?
I recently treated myself to a pack of three pairs of extra thick thermal socks from a well known middle-of-the-road high street retailer. I'll be wearing one of them on the bike this winter. They've already seen action around the house.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Steve wrote: 2 Dec 2022, 4:42pm How are cycling socks different from socks that one cycles in?
Cycling socks "may not rise above the height defined by half the distance between the middle of the lateral malleolus and the middle of the fibula head."
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”