Warm winter socks

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mattsccm

Re: Warm winter socks

Post by mattsccm »

Let's not include water proof ones as it has been done to death above. Warm? Wool. Cheap pure wool is as good as designer names listed above. Thick wool is better unless it makes your shoes too tight. Your nan can probably knit you a pair better than you can buy but they may not looks as posh.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Toasty.

Until they get wet.

Then not toasty at all.

During winter I wear wool “walking socks” for cycling, but it only takes one deep puddle to ruin the ride, hence my interest in waterproof ones as mentioned above.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Wool will still keep you warm when wet - ask any sheep
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Nope.

It acts as a soggy reservoir between shoe and foot, conducting heat away enthusiastically.

A live sheep, covered in live wool, all oily, and trapping nice layers of air, performs very differently from a wet sock.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Firstly, does your wife wear close fitting longs, e.g. cycling bibtights or similar, or legwear which is looser fitting? If the latter, then presumably she would be able to wear long socks. Something like a pair of long socks for walkers will keep the feet warmer than an equivalent calf length sock, because they will reduce heat loss from the blood supply to the foot. De Feet Woolie Boolie are shorter, and a good choice with bibtights etc. Note that even Woolie Boolie come in two lengths, and I would choose the longer 6" calf version. The Woolie Boolie socks are half wool and half nylon, and I would not get a sock that was 100% wool: at least some nylon fibres are needed for durability.

Secondly, I would recommend a thin pair of liner socks. Although they are often worn by walkers because they help to prevent blisters, a pair of liner socks plus a good quality wool sock will be warmer than just a wool sock of equivalent thickness, just as two thin pullovers are warmer than a single thick pullover. Although merino wool liner socks are available, I have not tried those. Mine are polypropylene, which I find to be good at wicking moisture and transporting it to the outer wool sock, e.g. like these - https://www.bridgedale.com/collections/ ... liner-boot.

NB Thick socks and liner socks are also available in Coolmax polyester, but I would avoid those. I have a pair of Coolmax walking socks which I picked up from a bargain bin, and they are awful. Whereas wool absorbs moisture into the fabric and keeps it away from the skin, Coolmax polyester does not do that and does not transport moisture away from the skin, with the result that the socks feel sweaty/clammy against the skin and will accelerate heat loss.

Thirdly, it might be worth investigating thermal insoles, especially if she is using clipless pedals, which some find to be a significant source of heat loss.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Thanks, all.

Yes, she does wear bib tights (and Planet X Neoprene Overshoes). I’m tempted by the Woolie Boolies and also by the UniQlo Heattech. I’ve also found Endura BaaBaa socks online that look Ok. I will buy a selection of all these and see how she goes.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've bought two pairs of Merino socks from Cotswolds.
Excellent and warm as toast. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
keefwaddo

Post by keefwaddo »

Marino wool all the way. Expensive but they last for years if you only use them for adventures and not daily life. Plus, get a pair of winter HIKING boots that are waterproof and rated at -5 or so. Last year we switched our normal boots to (Keen) winter hikers and our winter tour was a doddle. No more freezing and jumping about after a long mountain descent. The other thing we did was change our winter gloves which were always useless on descents to LL Bean mittens. Toasty warm.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

I buy cheap 'market-stall, mega-tog (can't remember the claimed number) socks' that are so big and fluffy that they only fit into my one-size-too-big Northwave winter cycling shoes.

When cycling at temperatures of 3°C or below I add chemical foot warmers that keep me warm during the ride and last until the late evening in my slippers :D
delilah

Post by delilah »

Ground Effect in New Zealand are good https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/collections/socks.

I bought a pair from a forum member and they are my go to winter sock
gcogger

Post by gcogger »

These are the warmest socks I've used, warmer than any Merino or other wool socks I've tried.
They're bulky, though, so need roomy shoes.
https://heatholders.co.uk/collections/m ... 0345321581
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

st599_uk wrote: 2 Dec 2022, 4:51pm
Steve wrote: 2 Dec 2022, 4:42pm How are cycling socks different from socks that one cycles in?
Cycling socks "may not rise above the height defined by half the distance between the middle of the lateral malleolus and the middle of the fibula head."
Good point. To keep your feet warm, you need warm shins and knees.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

gcogger wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 1:57pm These are the warmest socks I've used, warmer than any Merino or other wool socks I've tried.
They're bulky, though, so need roomy shoes.
https://heatholders.co.uk/collections/m ... 0345321581
They're the ones :D I have several pairs
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 3:03pm
st599_uk wrote: 2 Dec 2022, 4:51pm
Steve wrote: 2 Dec 2022, 4:42pm How are cycling socks different from socks that one cycles in?
Cycling socks "may not rise above the height defined by half the distance between the middle of the lateral malleolus and the middle of the fibula head."
Good point. To keep your feet warm, you need warm shins and knees.
It's a direct quote from the UCI rules on what is a cycling sock. If you work at large events, you'll see a chap whose job it is is to wander the paddock with a sock measurement tool.

(c) Evans cycles
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

"Sock doping" has been much talked about, mostly to laugh at it (outside of competitive circles) but the photo demonstrates that it can have some relevance to socks for warmth; although you'll probably want your actual socks longer, the concept of wearing an extra sock over your shoe could be worth reviving.