Not quite compatible: 6 bolt and centre lock

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tenbikes

Not quite compatible: 6 bolt and centre lock

Post by tenbikes »

I have a number of wheel sets with different tyres so that I can run tubeless and 'change tyres' very easily.

A recent second hand purchase has introduced centre lock rotors into the equation. These wheels do not drop fit into the bike when set up for 6 bolt. Well, they do 'fit', but drag like crazy, necessitating a complete realignment of the caliper. Not what I want at all. :(

I need the CL rotors to go in board by about 0.25 mm , i.e. The hub end cap needs to be a bit longer.

I can maybe do this with shim washers between the end cap and bearing, but the best solution would be custom ends caps.

Does anyone know who might be able to do this work? Or have any other ideas?

TC
fossala

Re: Not quite compatible: 6 bolt and centre lock

Post by fossala »

You’d be better to shim your 6 bolt wheels under the rotor.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Loosen the caliper mounting bolts slightly, clamp the brake on hard, then retighten the mounting bolts. It's quite common to have to do this with a new rotor even within one system, and it only takes about two minutes.
PH

Post by PH »

Not all CL to 6 bolt converters are the same, it might be the case that a different converter would be better, but I don't know how you go about finding out. I had two wheels, both CL with converters, which were not interchangeable. My solution was new CL rotors and dispose of the 6 bolt parts, so not an option for you.
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

For sure I can re set the caliper but I don't want to. I switch wheels several times a week.....

These are pure CL, not converted to six bolt.

I have a lot of six bolt, so unless there is cheap .25 shim it could be pricey? It might be 16 rotors to do......I've lost count!
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Some of my centre lock to six bolt adapters came with a thin washer. Was never sure what the purpose of it was. I think they were dt swiss ones. I only use them for running 6bolt fixed gear cogs so 0.25mm misalignment is not a problem. Not a very complex job for a machine shop if you cannot buy them off the shelf. I will measure mine and see if they happen to be around 0.25mm thick. You are welcome to have one to see if it sorts the problem if they are.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

tenbikes wrote: 2 Dec 2022, 6:04pm These are pure CL, not converted to six bolt.
Ah! Sorry, must have been lazy reading earlier. I'd somehow failed to notice you were talking about a totally new set of wheels. That being the case, I wonder if being centre lock vs six bolt might not be a red herring – the difference might be in the wheel itself. But to test it, you could use one of these:
https://www.uberbikecomponents.com/view ... ub-Adapter
to fit a six-bolt rotor to the centrelock hubs.

Is the problem with front and rear wheels?
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I shim mine. With a bit of fiddling I found which hubs put the discs the most outboard and set the calipers accordingly. Then I shim all discs to match. Shims were pennies. NNo idea where from but I need some more.
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

As mattsccm does, I shim rotors so that different wheels can be slotted into a frame without getting brake drag. You can get them for both centrelock and 6 bolt rotors. Just google "disc brake shim".
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I've found alignment issues with different wheelsets even when the rotor mounting was the same and always loosened the calliper mounting bolt and applied the brake and tightened the bolts and gave the wheel a spin.
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

I'll look into shims in the NY when I get back home. The problematic wheel set is a summer 29+ rig that won't see use until April.

I've seen 6 bolt shims that are one piece which seems better from the point of view of fully supporting the rotor. However I have twenty 6bolt rotors and these integrated shims are about £6 each. So I'll look at altering the three CL hubs first.

I'm wanting to preserver with the CL because the rims on them are very desirable but discontinued.I

Thanks for all the input; it is much appreciated.

TC
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Can you adapt the rotor carefully taking off 0.25mm off the inside CL flange? You may find the lock ring doesn't fit, then you could shim the other side of the rotor between the rotor and the lock ring.

Worst case you trash a rotor.
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

tenbikes wrote: 3 Dec 2022, 2:00pmI've seen 6 bolt shims that are one piece which seems better from the point of view of fully supporting the rotor. However I have twenty 6bolt rotors and these integrated shims are about £6 each.
I think you'll find that price is for a packet containing multiple shims. The Syntace shims I bought were about that price and had eight 0.2mm shims in each packet: https://www.syntace.com/en_GB/products/ ... /disc-shim.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I get my shims, pedal washers, spacers and other small parts from Ali express. Stainless, quality is great and much cheaper than buying re-labeled imports. Many Chinese sellers have started selling similar stuff on eBay now, sometimes for similar prices