Powershift rear hub gear - tempted?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
zenitb

Re: Powershift rear hub gear - tempted?

Post by zenitb »

rareposter wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 12:56pm
zenitb wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 12:10pm
The fact the product has got nowhere in the intervening 18 months tells you all you need to know.
It tells me they've spent some time perfecting the design, working with other wheel manufacturers to offer some choices of wheel to broaden the appeal and got some investment on board to enable a proper release. But then I've worked in an industry where 8+ years is normal for a project to go from drawing board to fruition...
zenitb wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 12:10pm Also the fact that GCN etc are still pushing it doesn't surprise me..time for them to consider real cyclists...
What's a "real cyclist" please? Do I have to have ridden a solo LEJOG on a 1980's steel touring bike to qualify? Maybe I need some plus-fours and a Carradice saddle bag? Or perhaps I have to commute on a Moulton?
Would be fascinated to know...
Yes I hate people using the "real" word as well rareP but in this context I am referring to people not prepared to spend over £2000 on a hub..which I suspect is most people on this forum, no? Or are you seriously thinking of putting down this level of wonga???

I actually don't think they are angling to sell direct to consumers anyway, and if you read their blurb they are hinting at this with the mention of "partnerships". I think they are angling for a patent/licensing agreement with one of the big players (Mavic is mentioned). Now if Shimano picked up the patent and produced a well engineered and cost effective version that would transform the proposition. Even I might buy one although without the radio control thigamajey.

Think about the Suntour slant derailleur patent though..Shimano worked round it rather than hit their margin with licencing fees and I suspect Sram/Mavic etc have taken the same line with this "innovation"...especially in the current financial climate.

I will be happy to eat my words if this is a rip roaring success but I think unless they sell the rights to a volume producer they are going nowhere. My view..keen to hear from others though??
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

If they were cleverer the 2 speed hub wouldn't need a shifter but would work on the centrifugal force of the wheel.. :-)
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Hmm - there have been 'automatic gear systems' in years gone by.
I could see the 2 speed Sturmey Archer Duomatic or 'kickback' hub could be a low-price alternative if only it had a freehub instead of a single sprocket :wink:
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

The SRAM Automatix was the automatic one. Of course, it might not change at your preferred speed.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

fastpedaller wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 8:48pm Hmm - there have been 'automatic gear systems' in years gone by.
I could see the 2 speed Sturmey Archer Duomatic or 'kickback' hub could be a low-price alternative if only it had a freehub instead of a single sprocket :wink:
Oops ... my bad as they say.....I sort of answered two subjects at the same time.
Yes, there have been auto systems as RZ correctly gives an example.
My idea of the kickback hub was in response to the Powershift product.
I have been interested in the kickback hub, however the 30% shift isn't something I'd want on a single speed - jump is too big. Coupled with a cassette and it could be useful though!
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Thread bump:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rapha- ... ied-brand/

Powershift have just secured another round of investment. Looks like some of the pro teams are already trying it out on a limited basis. Be an interesting one to follow.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

rareposter wrote: 24 Jan 2023, 12:21pm Thread bump:

Powershift have just secured another round of investment. Looks like some of the pro teams are already trying it out on a limited basis. Be an interesting one to follow.
You can fool most of the people some of the time...
And you can fool some people most of the time..

As previously stated were already got the double and triple chain ring, and as previously we've even got a two speed bottom bracket hub (dual drive) which is operated by a tap of your ankle to change the speeds and has been in existence, tried and tested for many years

....this hub really doesn't bring anything new to the consumer, other than increased complexity
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

cycle tramp wrote: 24 Jan 2023, 5:34pm
rareposter wrote: 24 Jan 2023, 12:21pm Thread bump:

You can fool most of the people some of the time...
And you can fool some people most of the time..

As previously stated were already got the double and triple chain ring, and as previously we've even got a two speed bottom bracket hub (dual drive) which is operated by a tap of your ankle to change the speeds and has been in existence, tried and tested for many years

....this hub really doesn't bring anything new to the consumer, other than increased complexity
I am certainly not interested in it in its current form. If they could produce a simple, cheap and strong 2 speed hub .. maybe with simple cable operation, I would be interested though. Say £100. Errmm ..
3 speed.JPG
like this but lighter and stronger due to 2 speeds not 3 ?
scottg

Post by scottg »

Sturmey TF, two speeds. Flat and uphill. You can coast downhill, so need for
fancy 3 speed hubs. (fools and their money) :(
pic-1067-s.jpg
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

I like the thinking that having a 2 speed hub gear eliminates the front mech and all that ungainly and crude chucking the chain between rings.

Maybe the boffins at powershift could come up with a version with more gears inside the hub and get shot.of the rear mech and all that nasty gubbins..

Anything that makes hub gears cool again is good with me.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Interesting report here of it being used in today's Omloop Het Nieuwsblad cobbled classic race by Victor Campanaerts.

The basic premise behind it seems to be pretty solid, it all seemed to work OK on the race itself. Issues around a rear wheel puncture are covered in the article.

https://road.cc/content/news/campenaert ... ing-299569
zenitb

Hambini has spoken ...

Post by zenitb »

Usual NSFW warning on this one.

https://youtu.be/i_ggRDDOYQw

Some points to ponder in this... like me he thinks this has no chance unless a groupset manufacturer takes it on. Also the notes on its performance penalties in efficiency and inertia are very interesting. If you were a pro cyclist would you really want to lose 3% to 4% of your power up a hill?
Attachments
Screenshot_20230315_172609_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20230315_172925_YouTube.jpg
pq

Post by pq »

I would be tempted if I was racing at a high level and/or had deep pockets. For various reasons it's better in many respects than a front mech and also better than other hub gears despite some of the manufacturer's somewhat dubious claims. But since I don't race and don't have deep pockets, I'm not remotely tempted.
One link to your website is enough. G
zenitb

Re: Hambini has spoken ...

Post by zenitb »

zenitb wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 4:39pm Usual NSFW warning on this one.

https://youtu.be/i_ggRDDOYQw

Some points to ponder in this... like me he thinks this has no chance unless a groupset manufacturer takes it on. Also the notes on its performance penalties in efficiency and inertia are very interesting. If you were a pro cyclist would you really want to lose 3% to 4% of your power up a hill?
The Managing Director (MD) of Powershift has now phoned Hambini regarding his negative review!! Hambini says he is minded to accept the MD's invite to visit the factory. Hambini has also asked for a hub to properly review, although this request has not been responded to. Hmm...not sure this is going to end well... could be entertaining though 😉
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Hambini has spoken ...
Thankfully I wasn't listening to the sexist misogynist egotistical pillock - he's about the last person I would ever turn to for engineering advice on bicycles. If he was half as good as he claims to be he'd be project managing something at NASA rather than swearing excessively on YouTube videos.