Your help needed to find the rogue trader that tricked me.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
AlanD

Your help needed to find the rogue trader that tricked me.

Post by AlanD »

I need eyes and ears on the ground to find and identify the rogue doorstep trader that had an early Christmas bonus at my expense.
It happened last Monday, he was passing as my Wife and I were struggling with trimming a bush. Him & his mate stopped to offer help.
We should have said 'No', I realise that we were well and truly had.

As the work started and the mess was all over the drive, he discovered extra work that needed doing, and so the walking up of the price began. The end result is that there are now some sad stumps where beautiful bushes used to be; my bank account is a lot lighter than is comfortable and we are left feeling, well, grief over their loss and completely untrusting of humanity. We now face each day frightened that the next person we come across is a crook.
I have since had conversations with 3 people, all professionals in this business, who each say that what I paid was excessive and I had been 'had'.

I have reported the matter to the Police, but we all know how overstretched they are, this will just slip between the cracks. It did not help that the PCSO who called round, thought that's what this should have cost.
My bank can't do anything, because a service was provided.
The phone number for Trading Standards is for the Citizens Advice Bureau. I was there told that to pursue a claim, I need his postal address, which I don't have.
No point asking his Bank for his address, because of GDPR.
Nothing useful found from an internet search on the names.

So I need your help to find this low-life scum, so that I can start to seek redress.
Please keep your eyes open for a Mr David T Boswell, 'David's Professional Tree Care' (no connection with a reputable tree surgeons of similar name).
I need his full postal address, I could also use the registration number of his big 4x4 car, which bears his name on the sides of the big open trailer that it pulls.
The sort code for his Bank account, points me to a Bank in Stratford-on-Avon, but then you don't have to live near your bank.

Thank you
simonineaston

Re: Your help needed to find the rogue trader that tricked me.

Post by simonineaston »

So sorry to hear about this. Never nice to be stiffed. Don't forget to contact the council trading standards people - they might already know about this individual and be collecting info about him. Every little helps.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
tomsumner49

Post by tomsumner49 »

Sorry to hear that too. In case it is any use, a google search threw up this newspaper report which has a number of similarities (name and location).

https://www.redditchadvertiser.co.uk/ne ... ly-victim/
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Struggling to trim your bush is always a difficult scenario...

But there are a lot of scams about this time of year, especially pre Xmas, so double entendre notwithstanding, it's always best to be on the safe side. Verify the email address.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 4 Dec 2022, 2:26pm ...
Don't forget to contact the council trading standards people - they might already know about this individual and be collecting info about him. Every little helps.
Good advice.

Jonathan
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Sadly such people exist and some similar types took money off of aged relatives, and we’re not talking pennies. The Police and Trading Standards became involved and that helped to protect them from other ‘helpers’ with access to a ‘mugs list’. I’d talk to the Bank concerned as they’re money laundering (profits of crime) and the Police could well demand the address off of the Bank too - worth giving them another call.

As the PCSO thought the price not too unreasonable it might be that things could have been a lot worse … and have been for some victims.

Good luck.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

The rate for such work would be no more than £20 per hour.

!.You were aware of the time spent
2.You should have requested an invoice and bank details.
The police cannot help as no crime has been committed. Secondly you paid cash presumably at his request. This is the scam perpetrated by itinerant tradesmen, usually tarmacking drives .It is a scam dating back to 60s.

If people were more astute these people would seek proper employment rather than exploit the gullible. Sorry for your loss.
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

Thank you for your support.
Tom. Your link is the same as what I was sent on another forum that I subscribe to.
Reading it, events were similar to my own experience, so this could be the same person.
I have sent an update to the Police and I think I'll talk to the Bank again tomorrow.

If anyone else has any more information, then please don't hold back. I would be particularly interested in other offences and reports, current address, Car registration number.

Thank you
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

AlanD wrote: 4 Dec 2022, 6:28pm Thank you for your support.
Tom. Your link is the same as what I was sent on another forum that I subscribe to.
Reading it, events were similar to my own experience, so this could be the same person.
I have sent an update to the Police and I think I'll talk to the Bank again tomorrow.

If anyone else has any more information, then please don't hold back. I would be particularly interested in other offences and reports, current address, Car registration number.

Thank you
Have ypu noticed the date of the linked news item?
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I've had numerous approaches over the years by people offering various services at a "good price"- I always refuse.

[removed by moderator]
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I have no idea about the law and what may or may not have been broken. But one thing I find when something angers me is how difficult it can be to move on if/once it becomes apparent nothing is going to happen (or that everything has been done). End result is same outcome as far as any action but I end up in a bad mood, pre-occupied and have a pretty horrible time. Easier said than done but if/once it becomes clear no action is going to be taken or that authorities have not or finished any actions, try and put it behind you and don't let it make your life even worse ... (i.e. it's happened, nothing can undo it so make the best of it and get on with life). Famous saying "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade".

That said I'm not great at following the above!

Ian
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

It can be difficult to deal with the sneaking feeling you've been had... all sorts of possible ways forward seem like a good idea. It can be hard to let it go.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I'm sorry to say I doubt you'll get anywhere with this.
Years ago I had a knock on the door and a chap asked did I want the garden tarmacked? I needed extra parking so asked them to do it and extend it over a flower bed. I paid what they asked but as spring came round all sorts of vegetation was pushing through the tarmac.
I never managed to contact him and suspect he was a traveller knocking on doors and finding mugs like me.
irc

Post by irc »

Never give work to cold callers. If they were honest and any good they wouldn't need to go round doors to get work

For OP if charges were excessive for poor quality work try contacting local trading standards.

https://www.surreycomet.co.uk/news/epso ... sham-work/
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I was turned over by someone c12 years ago when we were renovating our house. It was the only trader I didn't reference because they were recommended by the rooflight manufacturer as a trusted installer.

To cut a long story short, he did an awful job, and then refused to fix. I therefore decided to utilise my legal insurance and sue him. Turns out he had contracted via a company with no assets. (He also turned over the rooflight company by failing to pay for a number of rooflights)

Ever since then I have regularly refreshed a thread on another Forum calling out Mr John Webster of Messrs Rooflines for what he was. I have had a number of people who have found the thread and also contributed, so I do believe it damaged his business. And BTW everything I wrote was factual and accurate, just a report of what had happened.

In other news, because I put part of the payment on a credit card, the card company paid to resolve the issues he caused.