Detailed journal of my bike trip in Ireland Aug/Sep 2022

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
raybo

Detailed journal of my bike trip in Ireland Aug/Sep 2022

Post by raybo »

I have completed my detailed journal of a recent bike trip on the west coast of Ireland. It has hundreds of photos, links to routes ridden, and lots of details of my days.

Oddly, my experience of the trip was less enjoyable than my memory of it. In all, I liked riding in Ireland. It isn't the Alps, but it isn't Texas, either.
Visit my on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com
Jdsk

Re: Detailed journal of my bike trip in Ireland Aug/Sep 2022

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for sharing that.

It's on our list of future possible tours.

Jonathan
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Out of interest, you mention "a carrier bag specially designed to hold a Bike Friday" - what's the bag?
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I like your summing-up, sounds about right to me.

I’ve explored Ireland a lot on foot and by car for various reasons, but my intended first bike trundle got covided off two years ago, so maybe 2023 will be when I get to pedal bits of it.
raybo

Post by raybo »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 4 Dec 2022, 4:21pm Out of interest, you mention "a carrier bag specially designed to hold a Bike Friday" - what's the bag?
Not sure you know, but the Bike Friday is a folding bike. It has bigger wheels than and doesn't fold down like a Brompton, but the same concept. I was planning a ride in Montenegro (that I still hope to do some day) pre-pandemic and part of that route required me to take my bike onto a train that might not take bikes. I figured I could take the bike on the train if no one knew it was a bike.

So, I searched for a bag that would hold the folded bike and found this: https://bikefriday.com/bike-bag4 . I've had this bag for a couple years but the bike lives in the UK and I live in the US, so I didn't have the opportunity to use this bag until this trip.

I discovered there is a bit of learning curve when putting a bike in a bag designed for being carried by hand. First, a bike is heavy and awkward to carry using only strap handles. When I used the shoulder strap, it was more manageable but it hurt my shoulder and I had to stop fairly often due to the effort. I was also sweating pretty good while doing so. Second, I had to remove things off the bike to get it to fit into the bag, such as, a large front bag and the "shelf" it sits on. I also found removing the rear rack made getting the bag zipped closed much easier. This kind of put a lie to the idea of "folding bike." I was able to put these into the bag so I didn't need an extra hand to carry my panniers, the bike in the bag, and extra stuff.

While I now know the bike can be put into this bag and carried on a train, the bag is large, doesn't fit into any luggage racks, and doesn't offer much in the way of advantage. I will take it with me on future tours, but will pay to take my bike as a bicycle first before resorting to the bag.
Visit my on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Interesting that your trip experience and your memories of it are different. I find this a tricky balance between the mundane and the challenging but rewarding. So my Italian trip this year was more challenging for various reasons than La Voie Bleue but also more memorable.

I definitely recognise a lot of photos from your day 12. We did a bit more up in this area and got to Achill. Connemara is gorgeous. I’ve dipped into parts of your trip so far, will look forward to the rest after I finish a report this evening.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

raybo wrote: 4 Dec 2022, 5:46pm
Richard Fairhurst wrote: 4 Dec 2022, 4:21pm Out of interest, you mention "a carrier bag specially designed to hold a Bike Friday" - what's the bag?
Not sure you know, but the Bike Friday is a folding bike. It has bigger wheels than and doesn't fold down like a Brompton, but the same concept. I was planning a ride in Montenegro (that I still hope to do some day) pre-pandemic and part of that route required me to take my bike onto a train that might not take bikes. I figured I could take the bike on the train if no one knew it was a bike.

So, I searched for a bag that would hold the folded bike and found this: https://bikefriday.com/bike-bag4 . I've had this bag for a couple years but the bike lives in the UK and I live in the US, so I didn't have the opportunity to use this bag until this trip.

I discovered there is a bit of learning curve when putting a bike in a bag designed for being carried by hand. First, a bike is heavy and awkward to carry using only strap handles. When I used the shoulder strap, it was more manageable but it hurt my shoulder and I had to stop fairly often due to the effort. I was also sweating pretty good while doing so. Second, I had to remove things off the bike to get it to fit into the bag, such as, a large front bag and the "shelf" it sits on. I also found removing the rear rack made getting the bag zipped closed much easier. This kind of put a lie to the idea of "folding bike." I was able to put these into the bag so I didn't need an extra hand to carry my panniers, the bike in the bag, and extra stuff.

While I now know the bike can be put into this bag and carried on a train, the bag is large, doesn't fit into any luggage racks, and doesn't offer much in the way of advantage. I will take it with me on future tours, but will pay to take my bike as a bicycle first before resorting to the bag.
Thanks!

I also have a Bike Friday NWT. I have a Dahon Carry-On bag for it, basically for Eurostar purposes. It's ok but unwieldy to carry - I think I managed about 20m at a time walking down the platform at Gare du Nord before needing to put it down for a rest. I'm sure there must be more of a knack to it than I've found. On the plus size, it comes with an integral saddle bag, so once you're out riding you've forgotten about it.

The BF bag in your pic looks very similar to the Dahon one. I think I might need to experiment a bit more with Velcro-strapping the folded bike together.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
wheelyhappy99

Post by wheelyhappy99 »

Another BF NWT owner.

I have used the BF bag a few times for both flights and trains. It's 70x70x20cm, so fits in luggage spaces on most trains, though not overhead racks, and well within max size for hold luggage on planes. Using cardboard boxes to line the bag and between the (loose) front wheel and frame, a few fabric sleeves to protect the handlebar etc from rubbing and about 8 velcro straps it has travelled well. Everything apart from the cardboard packs down in the bottom few cm of a dry bag which I carry on the rack anyway, then scrounged two or three grocery boxes for the return journey. Needs enough cardboard around the outside to stop sticking out bits chafing the fabric.
PXL_20220926_115334264.jpg
PXL_20220930_125934262.MP.jpg
It is fairly heavy and awkward to carry as the shoulder strap is attached only on one side. I'm planning to add another or make a new bag with two so it hangs vertically from the shoulder which should be easier though no lighter...