Pavement Parking

Mike Sales

Re: Pavement Parking

Post by Mike Sales »

Pavement parking.jpg
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... n-25679422

I could not possibly condone such action.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
pwa

Post by pwa »

I suppose I shouldn't condone vandalism, but I can understand the urge to do that when someone seriously obstructs a pavement. I suggest that nobody here does that, if only because you might get caught and it might not go well for you. You don't want a criminal damage conviction.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

If you read the story, it wasn't so clearly an objection to pavement parking. Sounds also like a neighbourhood quarrel over too many cars to fit in the space available. Which in itself tells a story, albeit not a new one and not one we've listened to yet.
bjlabuk

Post by bjlabuk »

From what I can recall of my Traffic Police days, the offence has always been to do with 'driving' on the pavement, not with 'parking' on the pavement. The relevant legislation is Section 34 of the RTA 1988:-

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/19 ... view=plain

Driving on the pavement/footpath can cause damage to the paving slabs and to any underground cables/pipework underneath - think of your HGV mounting the pavement just so the driver can nip into a shop etc. Paving slabs are not designed to bear such weight.

In Scotland, as I suspect in E&W, the problem was 'proving' that a vehicle found parked on a pavement had in fact been driven there - and had not levitated by itself from the road to the pavement! (I kid you not!). So on seeing a person returning to/approaching a vehicle parked on a pavement the police officer had to wait until they entered the driver seat, approach them, establish their relationship to/ownership of the vehicle and then interview them under Section 172 of the RTA 1988 as to who was the driver of the vehicle was when it was driven onto and left unattended on the pavement. The enquiry continues from that point.

Some Council areas in Scotland previously had their own Byelaws which specifically made it an offence to park on a pavement, before the RTA 1988 came into force.

If a new law has been introduced that now makes it an offence to 'park on the pavement' then I guess they are trying to close a loop hole and make it easier to issue a Fixed Penalty notice to any vehicle found unattended on a pavement, with the onus on the owner to pay the FP or identify the person responsible.
PH

Post by PH »

The legal position on cycle lane parking is a complete and utter mess:
https://www.cyclinguk.org/blog/underhan ... VrP4__b86g
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Jdsk wrote: 6 Dec 2022, 9:11am
PT1029 wrote: 6 Dec 2022, 7:06am ...
A few years ago (3?) there was a DfT consultation about banning parking on pavements. I submitted a comprehensive response for our local group. It seems to have gone into the Whitehall abyss, nothing has come of it (yet).
Yes. The consultation closed but I can't even find a summary of the submissions, let alone a response:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... nt-parking

Jonathan
Going on the recent transport select committee this is now thoroughly in the long grass. Apparently the parliamentary schedule is too full (of culture war nonsense mostly) for the transport bill so it's been shelved.

A pretty abrupt turnaround from the brief Truss premiership where Trevelyan sounded genuinely interested in digging it out when queried about it at her introductory committee session, seemed to be a pet dislike of hers.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop