Flying to Spain with a bike

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
BambooKiro

Flying to Spain with a bike

Post by BambooKiro »

What is the advice when flying with a bike to Spain?

Which airlines to fly and which to avoid?

Do I need a hard case or a large cardboard box for the bike?

The plan is to fly to Gibraltar and then cycle to Seville and my plan was to fly with BA and put the bike in a soft bag, which can be forded when touring.
rareposter

Re: Flying to Spain with a bike

Post by rareposter »

BA, the bike is normally included as part of your baggage allowance whereas the low-fares airlines charge extra.

Just get a cardboard box from a bike shop, put your kit in that as well as the bike, then at your destination, bin the box. Get a new one from a shop for the journey home. Carrying a soft bag will be a nightmare.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

My first choice would be BA for the reasons mentioned above. Second choice easyJet. I have used Ryanair before (not a huge fan).

Depending on prices consider paying an upgrade for the shorter checkin queue- business for BA, can’t remember what the easyJet version is- it’s not much fun being in a tightly wound queue for 40mins trying to manhandle a bike precariously perched in a baggage trolley. With BA business includes 2 bags one of which can be the bike so all luggage is sorted. They seem to have Increased prices since I used some cheapish business tickets this spring for a cycle tour.

I use the plastic bag ex cycling UK ( now available on wiggle). Or apparently now on chain reaction. I carry mine on the back rack when touring. Some prefer a bike box- up to you but remember to allow time to source one for the return flight if you are going a-b.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ctc ... prod167363
Last edited by MrsHJ on 5 Dec 2022, 10:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davesmith3

Post by Davesmith3 »

Check your pm
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Flying to Gib is usually much more expensive than Spain. Although if you get free bike that might make it cheaper as easyJet charge £50 ish for bike. Jet2 may be worth a look either as bikes are free or cheaper, I can't remember.

Malaga is not far away with plenty of tourist flights, but much of the coastal ride down to Gib is fast dual carriageway. You can head inland.

I flew that way twice last year over winter I took a good bike bag that folded and carried it in pannier. Not a nightmare and much less so than scrabbling around for a box at end of trip. Also easier and cheaper for me at the start.

How you pack the bike also depends on how you get to airport in UK. If boxed, I need a lift, which can cost big time (£50+)..For EU it was folded bag and a bit of cardboard on rack. Pedalled and train to Gatwick, packed at airport.

Some use the dreaded poly bag, I'll leave others to extol it's virtues.

Edit : you asked about airlines. I usually go for easyJet. They fly from Gatwick which is easy for bike friendly public transport. Used to fly from airport 5 mes from my home before covid. They are fine. Take properly packed bikes no problem.

On return from Portugal, I flew Ryanair into Stansted and they were fine. Able to use airport bus back home.

Biggest problem is bike charge. It's between £50 and 60. On return if you book in euros it's same figure, but less dosh.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

simonhill wrote: 6 Dec 2022, 4:43am Although if you get free bike that might make it cheaper as easyJet charge £50 ish for bike. Jet2 may be worth a look either as bikes are free or cheaper, I can't remember.

<snip>

Biggest problem is bike charge. It's between £50 and 60. On return if you book in euros it's same figure, but less dosh.

Prices as of March 2022:

https://www.pedalsure.com/blog/how-much ... ike-abroad