Bandsaw Question

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Re: Bandsaw Question

Post by Tangled Metal »

They can be good tools but there's lot to go wrong with setting up. The most amusing one at work was the big bandsaw being set up with the blade back to front. Technically you could just cut from the other side because it had a custom built cutting table and guide, but one side of the table lifted to act as a pushing guide. It was used for about a month before anyone noticed the reason why the new blade wasn't cutting that well. It still cut what we needed it for despite that!

BTW a blade snap on a big bandsaw certainly makes you jump! 😂
Pebble

Re: Bandsaw Question

Post by Pebble »

Ours often gets set up with the teeth of the blade running through the guide rollers (esp on the 1/4 and 3/8 blades) this just blunts them instantly, and although they will work in a fashion on softwoods, hardwoods just turn black with burn and stink the place out. The other usual clownery is the throat set at 16" and cutting 9mm plywood, I live in despair with that machine.

I do have my own nice and sharp well looked after blades, but it is a right hastle having to change the blade twice just for one cut, but sometimes that is how it has to be.

Nice machine though when set up correctly., floor standing startrite, whopping 3.5m blade. Can't really get the blades for repurposing timber. it is well recomemded not to have too many teeth in the wood for good cutting, but with the min of 4 teeth per inch, on an 8" plank, that is 32 teeth in the wood. no wonder it does not cut well
Not advised for many saftey reasons, I also use Crugels of cutting from both sides on the tablesaw then finish off with a hand saw, or push it through the band saw.

On the subject of Planer-Thicknessers, we have a wonderful 300mm spiral cutter job, what a beautiful finish with the greatest of ease.