Greyfriars' Bobby movie NOT DISNEY!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Greyfriars' Bobby movie NOT DISNEY!

Post by Mick F »

Me and Mum watched Greyfriars' Bobby in a cinema in Wigan in the late 1950s. Could have been 1960.
Black and White film, dark and "inner city" Edinburgh, stray dog, down-and-out man sleeping on the streets, and he and the dog befriended each other.

The 1961 Disney version is in colour(!) and is about a shepherd and his dog ...................... definitely NOT the film me and Mum saw. Bought a copy of the 1961 Disney rubbish off eBay for £3, and I don't even want to put it on. It'll go to a charity shop or somewhere.

Despite searching the internet, I can find no reference to the film me and Mum watched, other than on a dead-end 2007 forum.
http://filmdope.com/forums/87168-greyfriars-bobby.html

Please help.
Where is it?
Can anyone find me a copy?

Please.
Mick F. Cornwall
DaveReading

Re: Greyfriars' Bobby movie NOT DISNEY!

Post by DaveReading »

Mick F wrote: 6 Dec 2022, 3:24pm Me and Mum watched Greyfriars' Bobby in a cinema in Wigan in the late 1950s. Could have been 1960.
Black and White film, dark and "inner city" Edinburgh, stray dog, down-and-out man sleeping on the streets, and he and the dog befriended each other.

The 1961 Disney version is in colour(!) and is about a shepherd and his dog ...................... definitely NOT the film me and Mum saw. Bought a copy of the 1961 Disney rubbish off eBay for £3, and I don't even want to put it on. It'll go to a charity shop or somewhere.

Despite searching the internet, I can find no reference to the film me and Mum watched, other than on a dead-end 2007 forum.
http://filmdope.com/forums/87168-greyfriars-bobby.html

Please help.
Where is it?
Can anyone find me a copy?

Please.
This one?

"Set in Scotland in 1860, the film tells the story of a rough collie named Lassie whose master, Jock Gray, is killed by robbers in Edinburgh. After his death, the dog keeps a constant vigil beside her master's grave in Greyfriars Kirkyard, which is in violation of the local dog laws."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_to_Lassie

It's in colour, though. But I think the odds against three films having been made based on the book are pretty astronomical.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The dog was a little terrier, and not a Lassie collie.
The chap died, and wasn't killed.
Looked all over the internet, but the internet - Google etc - is populist and not "fact". Ditto Wiki.

The film me and Mum watched - the Court or the County cinemas, King St Wigan - was a black and white British film.
Saw Whistle Down the Wind back then too.
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

My Mum dragged me off to see South Pacific when it was released in 1958.
First film I saw. In a fleapit on Bretonside (Plymouth) whilst Dad was at sea with the Royal Navy. It was in colour. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Mick F wrote: 6 Dec 2022, 9:49pm The dog was a little terrier, and not a Lassie collie.
Looked all over the internet, but the internet - Google etc - is populist and not "fact". Ditto Wiki.

The film me and Mum watched - the Court or the County cinemas, King St Wigan - was a black and white British film.
Saw Whistle Down the Wind back then too.
You could try asking the BFI.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Mick F wrote: 6 Dec 2022, 9:49pm The dog was a little terrier, and not a Lassie collie.
I’m fairly certain I watched that film more than once on TV in the 70’s.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

peetee wrote: 7 Dec 2022, 9:12am
I'm also sure we saw a film,in colour,in the mid 70s.I always thought as a child Greyfriars Bobby was a Yorkshire Terrier.I also read the book as a child and remember seeing what I thought was a Yorkie on the cover.I can't find any reference to a 1970s/colour film though so I'm wondering if it was a British TV film?
peetee

Post by peetee »

PedallingSquares wrote: 7 Dec 2022, 12:09pm
I'm also sure we saw a film,in colour,in the mid 70s.I always thought as a child Greyfriars Bobby was a Yorkshire Terrier.I also read the book as a child and remember seeing what I thought was a Yorkie on the cover.I can't find any reference to a 1970s/colour film though so I'm wondering if it was a British TV film?
I remember it as a black and white film. It was dark and moody and clearly trying to convey a sullen city environment.
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

As this was about 74/75 I'm wondering if it was indeed the 1961 b&w film I saw and my memory is clouded as it was around that time we got our first colour tv?
That could also explain why I thought it was a Yorkie and not a Skye Terrier!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

peetee wrote: 7 Dec 2022, 12:16pm

I remember it as a black and white film. It was dark and moody and clearly trying to convey a sullen city environment.
Yes, "dark and moody and sullen city environment" fits with me too.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:
We may watch the colour Disney version this evening, despite my misgivings.
At least I will be able to state categorically that it's NOT the one me and Mum watched ................. or it may have been. At least I will know one way or another ............ and the world will know too.

Meanwhile, I've bought Midnight Cowboy, and Love Actually from eBay this evening. At least we'll know what we're getting.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mick F wrote: 7 Dec 2022, 4:29pm
peetee wrote: 7 Dec 2022, 12:16pm
Yes, "dark and moody and sullen city environment" fits with me too.
I thought you lived in a village Mick? :P
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Village, yes! :D
Been here since summer 1985.

Brought up in Wigan, and went to skool there. 1950s.
Coal mining, engineering, cotton mills. Smog.
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Post by peetee »

Mick F wrote: 7 Dec 2022, 4:34pm PS:
We may watch the colour Disney version this evening, despite my misgivings.
At least I will be able to state categorically that it's NOT the one me and Mum watched ................. or it may have been. At least I will know one way or another ............ and the world will know too.

Meanwhile, I've bought Midnight Cowboy, and Love Actually from eBay this evening. At least we'll know what we're getting.
I’d be interested to know either way. It’s possible I watched a colour film on a black and white TV as at home in the 70’s. When the (rented) colour set arrived it was almost exclusively the preserve of my father who regularly practised his afternoon naps in front of it. :roll:
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

I was past there this evening so I snapped a picture of the rubbie nose do for you, it didn't seem the cairn what film you are on a boot