Winter cycling photos and writeups

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
cycle tramp

Re: Winter cycling photos and writeups

Post by cycle tramp »

....I think 'thermos' might have beaten yiu to it... only it goes in the bottle, hot, straight from the kettle.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Why stop at warm? A kettle powered off an e-bike's battery would be a great invention. One powered by dynamo would satisfy that audaxers' search for self-sufficiency, as well as being the ultimate in sustainability, but would require such extremely vigorous pedalling that you'd no way want a hot drink! :lol:

There is actually a video somewhere of a German Olympic track sprinter powering a toaster in this way, but it's not for mere mortals.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 11:54am Why stop at warm? A kettle powered off an e-bike's battery would be a great invention. One powered by dynamo would satisfy that audaxers' search for self-sufficiency, as well as being the ultimate in sustainability, but would require such extremely vigorous pedalling that you'd no way want a hot drink!
There's no need to include electricity in the process:

Thompson:

Joule:

: - )

Jonathan
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

2013, en route from Newtown to Presteigne for a romantic date on my 1992 Gerorge Longstaff tourer. Photo having climbed out of Dolfor on the B4355 approaching the top near Banc Gorddwr?

(Click on image for larger version)
Attachments
GL-SnowFog.jpg
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cowsham wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 1:32pm How do you keep your water bottle from freezing Jon?
Most people in Norway either use Camelbak type things between layers of clothes, or they use insulated bottles & start with warm or even hot water. I tend to take a herbal infusion, instead, with a little honey in it, as that is the only drink I like both warm & cold. Although I sometimes just take a water bottle, and a small insulated flask with tea in, and drink the water until it freezes, then switch to tea. I have an Ocean Bottle that fits in my bottle cages.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Vorpal wrote: 22 Jan 2024, 11:22am
Cowsham wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 1:32pm How do you keep your water bottle from freezing Jon?
Most people in Norway either use Camelbak type things between layers of clothes, or they use insulated bottles & start with warm or even hot water. I tend to take a herbal infusion, instead, with a little honey in it, as that is the only drink I like both warm & cold. Although I sometimes just take a water bottle, and a small insulated flask with tea in, and drink the water until it freezes, then switch to tea. I have an Ocean Bottle that fits in my bottle cages.
I take much the same except for the tea only my infusion is just apple cider vinegar and a tea spoon of honey. It won't freeze here though and I wouldn't be out below 3°C cos it's a wet cold we have blowing in from the Atlantic -- instead of the dry cold you'd get over there. Some winters we don't see any snow.
I am here. Where are you?
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

We've had a major melt in the past 48hrs, leaving the main roads snow and ice free.

I had a free day today, so got out on the road bike with normal tyres and did 138km at 32.1kph. Close to maximum effort for me, but it felt so good to get off studs and go fast :D

It was 3-4c, relatively breezy (to illustrate, the first 40km with headwind was 27kph at 280w and the 40km section with full tailwind was the same power output for 39.7kph!) and dry. A really good ride.
brumster

Post by brumster »

Two different winters tackling "The Struggle" out of Ambleside.
Attachments
DSC03946.JPG
Photo-0113.jpg
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

brumster wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 7:05pm Two different winters tackling "The Struggle" out of Ambleside.
What clothing do you wear to cycle in that? What shoes / boots?
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

brumster wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 7:05pm Two different winters tackling "The Struggle" out of Ambleside.
Lovely!

I must admit though that I avoid steep hills when it's snowy. I've no issue with going uphill - it's the downhills that scare me!
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Cowsham wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 9:45pm
What clothing do you wear to cycle in that? What shoes / boots?
Walking boots or skis. :wink:

Great photos. Our Club President used to take a group over there every New Year and stop in the YHA hostel.
Last edited by cycleruk on 29 Jan 2024, 1:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
brumster

Post by brumster »

Jon in Sweden wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 4:09am
Lovely!

I must admit though that I avoid steep hills when it's snowy. I've no issue with going uphill - it's the downhills that scare me!
Schwalbe winter spikes are the solution !
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

brumster wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 12:13pm
Lovely!

If you stopped for too long ( with our "wet" snow ) wouldn't the tyres get frozen stuck to the mudguards especially with studded tyres ?
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

Cowsham wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 3:06pm

Lovely!

If you stopped for too long ( with our "wet" snow ) wouldn't the tyres get frozen stuck to the mudguards especially with studded tyres ?
I don't tend to stop for long when it's cold. If it's cold enough to freeze the tyres to the mudguards, it's cold enough to freeze me!
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

Lovely!

You're right. The Ice Spikers would probably do it. Much better designed for fresh, wet snow than the Marathon Winter Plus that I have on one of my bikes.

That being said, I just don't enjoy riding on unplowed snow that much so tend to avoid it.