Beeswax - Spoke Prep

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jim77

Beeswax - Spoke Prep

Post by Jim77 »

Hi all

Has anyone had any experience using beeswax as spoke prep?
fastpedaller

Re: Beeswax - Spoke Prep

Post by fastpedaller »

Not beeswax, but linseed oil or sunflower oil can be good - with a little on the spoke threads it make it easier to build the wheel with a high tension, and the oil subsequently dries, acting as a threadlock!
Jim77

Post by Jim77 »

fastpedaller wrote: 9 Dec 2022, 9:43am Not beeswax, but linseed oil or sunflower oil can be good - with a little on the spoke threads it make it easier to build the wheel with a high tension, and the oil subsequently dries, acting as a threadlock!
Is it regular sunflower oil? Or is it a special type?
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Has to be Sainsbury's exclusive :lol: - Only joking, I'm pretty sure any will do, although I've not done exhaustive tests
Jim77

Post by Jim77 »

fastpedaller wrote: 9 Dec 2022, 4:58pm Has to be Sainsbury's exclusive :lol: - Only joking, I'm pretty sure any will do, although I've not done exhaustive tests
How long does it take to set?
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Depends on temperature, several days is a good guess.
fossala

Post by fossala »

I thought sunflower shouldn’t be used as it will go bad where boiled linseed oil doesn’t.
Jim77

Post by Jim77 »

I am intrigued to know how you discovered it could be used as only ever heard of linseed oil?
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

If the concensus says linseed oil, that may be the one to use. Without exhaustive tests, it's probably best to stick (no pun intended) with linseed. :wink:
pwa

Post by pwa »

Has anyone used olive oil? I use it occasionally on little household jobs, such as lubing secateurs and the catch on a dog lead. It is surprisingly long lasting.
stevegreen

Post by stevegreen »

Linseed oil works because it polymerises in the presence of oxygen; it's described as a "drying oil". Other drying oils are walnut and poppy, both rare and expensive (and they take even longer to dry). The other oils mentioned don't polymerise fully, if at all, and tend to turn gummy and sticky.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

The late Ken Bird - who built very good wheels used Vaseline on spokes - which is why I use it.
It does the job for me - I've never considered what long term properties it may have.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I've heard of people using stuff like lard on the threads, presumably just to avoid spokes twisting as you turn apply tension. Sounds a bit yuck, but if it works....
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

Whenever I open a box of nipples, I drop them into a small sieve, place the sieve in a jar containing some oil (just standard 4-stroke engine oil) so that the nipples are submerged, then allow them to drain for several minutes and bung them into another jar ready for use. It means I get slightly oily fingers when spoking up wheels, but both the nipple/rim interface and spoke thread require no further lubrication.

I've never seen the need for any sort of spoke prep - if you tension a wheel correctly, the nipples won't unwind in use.
TooManyBikes

Post by TooManyBikes »

In my huge experience of wheel building (7 wheels now!) I just used what is recommended in the wheel building book I have, which is automotive oil ie, any oil used in a car. I happen to use gear oil as I have some, and bundle the spokes together, dip the threads in about 1/4'' of oil dab the excess off of a paper towel before lacing up. if the finished wheel is correctly tensioned and importantly de stressed correctly to un twist any slightly wound up spokes, there should be no need for any degree of thread locking req. none of mine have come loose. just my 2 pence worth, but as said I have only built 7 wheels so far.
My name is Michael, And I have too many bikes.