Do Pogies work with drop bars

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
TrevA

Do Pogies work with drop bars

Post by TrevA »

Continuing in my quest for warm hands in winter, I’ve just watched a YouTube video about Pogies, but do they work with drop bars?
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Psamathe

Re: Do Pogies work with drop bars

Post by Psamathe »

No experience of them but

Ian
Pyranha

Post by Pyranha »

They’re probably worth a try. My wife uses RockBros ones and still gets cold hands, but probably less cold than without. They limit you to riding on the hoods (in her experience). I think the drop bar ones are normally neoprene rather than the full fleece lined ones you can get for flat bars.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Psamathe wrote: 9 Dec 2022, 4:35pm No experience of them but

Ian
I have a pair of nylon pogies with no fleece insulation that I used for canoeing. They're not water proof, and didn't keep my hands dry when they got dipped in the water, but I can vouch for how much difference they make, far beyond what you'd expect. One cold winter I also made a pair of pogies for the pedals using heavy guage polythene cut from a rubble bag, and they made a huge improvement, too. Like double glazing, it's not the extra layer that provides the insulation, it's the air trapped in between.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

Their are different designs for drop bars.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Are there any that work with drop bars and 'washing line' gear cables?
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I’ve noticed something called Bar Mitts which are designed for drop bars, but are not fleece line. 45nrth do something called a DraugenClaw which seems to be a Pogie for dropped bars.
Last edited by TrevA on 9 Dec 2022, 9:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
a.twiddler

Post by a.twiddler »

Hmmm. Not a new idea though. Known to generations of winter motorcyclists as handlebar muffs, though for that application they would be semi rigid to stop wind pressure causing them to bear on clutch and front brake levers. The principle works very well, creating an oasis of still air that enables the rider to wear light gloves which gives better ability to control the bike in wet/slippery conditions. Some riders might prefer cold hands as they can look rather hideous, and the racers don't use them.

As far as the bicycle application is concerned, it looks as if they would work better with flat bars, though fitting mirrors or bar ends might be an issue, as would being able to operate a bell without some forward planning.

As for drops, modern aero Brifters look well catered for, as long as you don't have a Mirrycle or similar fitted. More traditional non aero set ups with external brake cables, or even as mentioned in the video, older 9 speeds with a cable that exits the brake hood at right angles, not so easy. Whipping your hands out to operate bar end shifters or even downtube shifters could become tedious after a while, not so much the taking them out, but the wriggling them back in quickly. I have some cross top levers on my tourer and those might pose a challenge too.

They might be persuaded to work on the USS bars on a recumbent, though. Anything that stops the icy winter airflow over a rider's hands without causing unforseen problems must be helpful. Like pedal covers in days of yore, even if they ain't pretty, they would do the job.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 9 Dec 2022, 7:57pm Are there any that work with drop bars and 'washing line' gear cables?
There is a washing-line version of the Bar Mitts drop-bar pogies
a.twiddler

Post by a.twiddler »

That opens up a host of other options!
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

TrevA wrote: 9 Dec 2022, 8:26pm I’ve noticed something called Bar Mitts which are designed for drop bars, but are not fleece line.
I bought some of those several years ago when we had a very cold winter. I only used them a few times, and it has not been cold enough (for me) since. I recall that they were excellent, and gloves would not be needed. However, I found it better to wear a pair of thin glove liners inside the Pogies because the neoprene fabric was unpleasant against the skin. The only other possible downside is that you are locked in the one riding position - hands on or near the hoods. Bar Mitts come in two version, one for washing line cables and one for concealed. I bought the washing line variant, even though I don't have such cables, so that I could undo the little flap for some ventilation if needed.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

With a bit of ingenuity it should be possible to make some sort of wind guard from a couple of 4 pint milk cartons.

Not the very height of fashion, however.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

andrew_s wrote: 9 Dec 2022, 8:52pm
Bmblbzzz wrote: 9 Dec 2022, 7:57pm Are there any that work with drop bars and 'washing line' gear cables?
There is a washing-line version of the Bar Mitts drop-bar pogies
Thanks! Quite a price though (if they'll even ship to UK).
slowster

Post by slowster »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 12:09pm Quite a price though (if they'll even ship to UK).
Currently less than £50 from Amazon UK for medium and large sizes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bar-Mitts-Hand ... K98JQ?th=1
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I bought some branded GIYO at a fraction of the price of Bar Mitts