Fix that hole app

Philip Benstead

Fix that hole app

Post by Philip Benstead »

I understand that the powers that be have decided to not keep the app upto date.

Any views?
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
simonineaston

Re: Fix that hole app

Post by simonineaston »

Yet another drip from the leaky tap that forms the puddle, into which the already damp squib of choice and democracy fizzles out...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Philip Benstead wrote: 9 Dec 2022, 8:57pm I understand that the powers that be have decided to not keep the app upto date.

Any views?
I think that happened some time ago. And prior to that it hadn't been working properly.

CUK steps back from offering cyclists very useful functionality that makes cycling safer. Again. Does make you wonder what they are really about.

Pity as it makes pothole and hazard reporting very easy. I used to stop several times most rides to record potholes.

The one great feature it has over other apps (I now use FixMyStreet) is that you could record potholes without any signal, store them on your phone and then send them in once you have signal or Wi-Fi. FixMyStreet does not work without mobile signal - needs to download map to record location (at least last time I was using it it did and no updates I've noticed).

I've not tried any others so would welcome suggestions.

Ian
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

simonineaston wrote: 9 Dec 2022, 9:18pm Yet another drip from the leaky tap that forms the puddle, into which the already damp squib of choice and democracy fizzles out...
Please explain and explaned?
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

Many (most?) local highways authorities now have fast and easy online reporting systems which presumably make the app redundant?.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

ChrisButch wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 1:57pm Many (most?) local highways authorities now have fast and easy online reporting systems which presumably make the app redundant?.
The main benefit I found is that my cycling is often close to the border between two authorities and I have no idea which authority a given pothole would be under. The apps work out whose responsibility and just report to the right one without user involvement. Plus, being able to record offline (using the CUK app) is a lot easier and faster than having to make manual records and then go through a website when you get home or into mobile data coverage.

Some rides I used to report 10+ potholes in rural roads (poor mobile data coverage) - so simple and quick is a major benefit.

Ian
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Fortunately, fixmystreet.com is still a thing. It covers a broader range of problems than fillthathole, is more widely-used, and (to my knowledge, having been involved on the receiving end) the data sent through was more useful. FTH was a useful campaign tool in its time but I can't see any justification for continuing with it. Cycling UK should not spend its resources trying to replicate something that someone else does better.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

ChrisButch wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 1:57pm Many (most?) local highways authorities now have fast and easy online reporting systems which presumably make the app redundant?.
Some local authorities seem to make it as difficult as possible to report. As an example Cambridge........ trying to report a dangerous pothole was nigh-on impossible. If it's dangerous call this number they state - 50 minutes later and still no connection. try to report via email - not possible. get through eventually and they write out their narrative of the 'phone conversation. Several days later a search online finds that they have replied that "it will be fixed in the next financial year" - so maybe 23 months away? and have CLOSED the matter - no further discussion. i eventually took the step of reporting it to the Cambridgeshire PCC, and received a response that it wasn't an operational matter. digging my heals in I said it was exasperating that I even needed to contact them, and they need to tackle the Local Highways and make then do their job. The PCC got exactly the same response back from CCC, and just accepted it as ok. Bashing a head against a brick wall (or the road) trying to get some folk to do their job (that we're all paying for) Rant over.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

And many don't. And even for those that do, an important feature these sites is not just making a report, but keeping an open public record of that report having been made.

Typically, if someone comes a cropper as a result of hitting a pothole and makes a claim against the council then they will get a brush off reply along the lines of "our inspector examined this road several months ago and found no significant faults" - and the hole will be fixed within days, so you will have no evidence of negligence. However, if you can demonstrate the fault had been reported complete with photographic evidence then they cannot claim ignorance.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

When I contacted my LA some years ago asking why no action after a report on Fill that Hole, they didn't even know about FtH.

Now they have a database for reporting. Logged a dodgy drain with side hole. Responded immediately saying they will look. Fault accepted and fixed in 2 days.

However logging faded cycle advance stop was acknowledged, but when nothing done, they said road due to be resurfaced so will be done then. That was 9 months ago and no sign of resurfacing so I'll log an update request on the database, which'll get a response, but probably no action.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

AndyK wrote: 18 Dec 2022, 4:20pm Fortunately, fixmystreet.com is still a thing. It covers a broader range of problems than fillthathole, is more widely-used, and (to my knowledge, having been involved on the receiving end) the data sent through was more useful.
Thanks, i didn't know that.

Jonathan